Prince Fielder signs with Tigers, 9 years, $214 million?

Reaction score
I know Steve-O is a Tigers fan, so this initially is quite exciting, but Jesus.

That's a TON of money for anyone. Let alone a guy that's very heavy that may have trouble aging. And 9 years, obviously, is a VERY long commitment.

Prince will be signed WELL into his 30's. For the record, his dad was out of baseball after a horrible season when he was 34, and was never really the same after he was 27.

Still, Prince is his own man, so it'll be interesting to see how he does. Can't beat nature, though.

Another interesting fact is that Prince is apparently signing where his estranged father made the majority of his fame. Have to wonder if this is a step towards reconciliation, or if this is again him trying to one-up his dad. Or maybe he's just signing for a boatload of cash that nobody else would possibly offer (Occam's Razor).

In any case, I can honestly say that I am very, very surprised that Prince got THIS much money. This really isn't that far off at all from what Pujols got and I remmeber thinking that there was no way he would get anywhere close to that money.

Holy ****ing shit!

Dave Dombrowski deserves an award for his poker face this offseason. I expected some minor moves. Probably Damon.

Never ever expected something like this.

Fielder and Cabrera in the same lineup?

Holy ****ing shit!

Steve-O, don't get too excited. He'll cover up for Victor Martinez, plus a little bit more, but that's it.

His body will not hold up much longer. Knees will be going soon.

Steve-O, don't get too excited. He'll cover up for Victor Martinez, plus a little bit more, but that's it.

His body will not hold up much longer. Knees will be going soon.

Doubters like to say that, but the guy rarely misses games. :shrug:

They said the same when they acquired Cabrera, and he's managed to keep his weight under control.

I am not concerned about their offense.

The only concern I have is moving Cabrera to third. I'd much rather see Inge stay there, even hitting .180.

They're gonna need a meatwagon to roll him onto the mound. That is one fat-ass mutha.

ROFL

They'll be lucky (and I MEAN lucky) to get 5 decent years out of him.

Actual cost at best, over $40,000,000.00/year

An horrific deal. As fiscally irresponsible as anything I've ever seen (JMO of course).

Cheers, BostonTim

I'd be excited about his production in the short-term and hope he manages his weight in the long-term. I honestly think you're looking at a very expensive DH in 5-6 years.

That said, if Det wins 2+ titles in that timeframe, will anyone really have much of a gripe?

I'd be excited about his production in the short-term and hope he manages his weight in the long-term. I honestly think you're looking at a very expensive DH in 5-6 years.

That said, if Det wins 2+ titles in that timeframe, will anyone really have much of a gripe?

Perhaps not. But Per/year cost must mean something. Can only guess (already did) what it might be & can't even guess what it might mean. Short-term, good for the fans (enjoy it, Steve-0 :thumb:), but long-term, it looks terrible to me.

Cheers, BostonTim

Perhaps not. But Per/year cost must mean something. Can only guess (already did) what it might be & can't even guess what it might mean. Short-term, good for the fans (enjoy it, Steve-0 :thumb:), but long-term, it looks terrible to me.

Cheers, BostonTim

It's not my money. :shrug: Mike Ilitch can do with it what he wants.

In related news, Little Caesar's announced their new pizza special:

One pizza for the price of two!

Doubters like to say that, but the guy rarely misses games. :shrug:

They said the same when they acquired Cabrera, and he's managed to keep his weight under control.

I am not concerned about their offense.

The only concern I have is moving Cabrera to third. I'd much rather see Inge stay there, even hitting .180.

:huh:

Fielder is ALREADY overweight.

As a former baseball player through my early 30's, I know how important the knees are, even for either a DH or 1st baseman.

He'll be fine for a few years, but then he'll start having the knee problems.
If, of course, his weight stays the same or goes up.

:huh:

Fielder is ALREADY overweight.

As a former baseball player through my early 30's, I know how important the knees are, even for either a DH or 1st baseman.

He'll be fine for a few years, but then he'll start having the knee problems.
If, of course, his weight stays the same or goes up.

Don't care. :shrug:

At a bare minimum, I expect him to be a dominant hitter for the next 5-6 years.

During that span, the Tigers have a good shot at winning a couple Series titles.

The thing you have to remember here is that Mike Ilitch is 82 years old. He wants a title in his lifetime.

He's been -this- close twice in the last five years.

This team was already a heavy favorite to win the central after V-Mart went down.

Now, they have to be one of the early picks to win it all this year.

They'll be lucky (and I MEAN lucky) to get 5 decent years out of him.

Actual cost at best, over $40,000,000.00/year

An horrific deal. As fiscally irresponsible as anything I've ever seen (JMO of course).

Cheers, BostonTim

In year 6 they'll sell him to seaworld :jester:

Cheers, BostonTim

Well you can average out the per/year cost or dissect the contract to gauge to be honest. It's possible that the contract is front-loaded but doubtful. Most long-term high-salaried MLB contracts are fairly backloaded. It's incentive for the player to sign for that long, allows management to build around said player in their "prime" productive years and incentive for the player in remaining in the same city as it's difficult to trade a back-loaded contract player at the end of it because of how heavy it is.

Again, titles mean everything. Manny Ramirez was GROSSLY overpaid. He won two titles. He was a malcontent and seemingly didn't give a shit about anyone but himself. But was anyone's biggest complaint that he was paid too much in his less productive years? Not really. We complained that he did things his way and was disingenuous on his way out. If we didn't win two WS titles while he was rostered, the complaints about him and his contract would have been magnified greatly.

Well you can average out the per/year cost or dissect the contract to gauge to be honest. It's possible that the contract is front-loaded but doubtful. Most long-term high-salaried MLB contracts are fairly backloaded. It's incentive for the player to sign for that long, allows management to build around said player in their "prime" productive years and incentive for the player in remaining in the same city as it's difficult to trade a back-loaded contract player at the end of it because of how heavy it is.

Again, titles mean everything. Manny Ramirez was GROSSLY overpaid. He won two titles. He was a malcontent and seemingly didn't give a shit about anyone but himself. But was anyone's biggest complaint that he was paid too much in his less productive years? Not really. We complained that he did things his way and was disingenuous on his way out. If we didn't win two WS titles while he was rostered, the complaints about him and his contract would have been magnified greatly.

Fielder's contract is spaced out pretty evenly.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/prin...money-up-front-bonus-and-a-suite-on-the-road/

Fielder will earn $23 million in each of his first two years with Detroit, then will make $24 million annually in the final seven seasons of his $214 million, nine-year contract, according to terms obtained by The Associated Press.

That's backloaded, I guess, but only slightly.

Apparently, the Tigers are still one of six teams seriously pursuing Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes.

I don't expect it to happen, but it's surprising that they're still making a strong push.

It ain't my money.

:rockon:

Back