QB Levels

Darth Despot

We ass
Reaction score
Website
tokevinwithlove.wordpress.com
In the offseason we start looking at lots of QBs who are available and suddenly everyone on the market is a "franchise" QB. It will become obvious in Sept that some of the dudes getting the big bucks are just OK, or worse.

So let's think about plugging QBs into a scale based on performance.

Level 1 - Actual Franchise QBs - The guys who can lift and carry a team to the playoffs and with a bit of help, win titles - future HoF. Guys at this level include Brady, Rogers, Brees, Roethisberger, Wilson. These guys don't go on the market.

Level 2 - Solid NFL QBs - You can win with these guys, and they can win games for you, but they can't carry you for seasons, or decades. Will only get to Canton as announcers. I'd put Eli here, Newton, Romo when he was playing, Luck if his arm hasn't fallen off, a lot of the younger guys who might move up to level 1, but don't have the history yet (Wentz, Goff). If you have a guy like this your not looking to move on. These guys usually do npt become free agents unless something odd happens, injury, coaching change etc.

Level 3 - Average Adequate - If your QB is in this classification, your probably not looking for a QB, but your team isn't QB focused. Flacco and Andy Dalton are the poster boys. Tannehill is here. I'd put Cousins sort of in the top side of this level. Prescott, Bortles. At best, every "top" QB in the draft is here until proven otherwise. This is where big money free agent QBs are born and ususally where they die.

Level 4 - Guys who take snaps - Everyone else. Below Average, if you win with a guy at this level it's because your team is excellent elsewhere (top D, or running game). These are all the teams that are throwing stupid money at high level 3 and level 2 guys. Most FAs come from this level.

In the offseason we start looking at lots of QBs who are available and suddenly everyone on the market is a "franchise" QB. It will become obvious in Sept that some of the dudes getting the big bucks are just OK, or worse.

So let's think about plugging QBs into a scale based on performance.

Level 1 - Actual Franchise QBs - The guys who can lift and carry a team to the playoffs and with a bit of help, win titles - future HoF. Guys at this level include Brady, Rogers, Brees, Roethisberger, Wilson. These guys don't go on the market.

Level 2 - Solid NFL QBs - You can win with these guys, and they can win games for you, but they can't carry you for seasons, or decades. Will only get to Canton as announcers. I'd put Eli here, Newton, Romo when he was playing, Luck if his arm hasn't fallen off, a lot of the younger guys who might move up to level 1, but don't have the history yet (Wentz, Goff). If you have a guy like this your not looking to move on. These guys usually do npt become free agents unless something odd happens, injury, coaching change etc.

Level 3 - Average Adequate - If your QB is in this classification, your probably not looking for a QB, but your team isn't QB focused. Flacco and Andy Dalton are the poster boys. Tannehill is here. I'd put Cousins sort of in the top side of this level. Prescott, Bortles. At best, every "top" QB in the draft is here until proven otherwise. This is where big money free agent QBs are born and ususally where they die.

Level 4 - Guys who take snaps - Everyone else. Below Average, if you win with a guy at this level it's because your team is excellent elsewhere (top D, or running game). These are all the teams that are throwing stupid money at high level 3 and level 2 guys. Most FAs come from this level.

Thinking Jimmy G is probably a 2 but will soon be a 1.

Hoping he's a 3 and then will become a 1 when Josh brings him back in a few years.

Of course even more foolhearty is the annual lofty expectations of the top 4-5 QB draftees expected to come in and save the day.

Of course even more foolhearty is the annual lofty expectations of the top 4-5 QB draftees expected to come in and save the day.

Goff and Wentz are only fueling that fire though. Both the Rams and Eagles traded up a boat load to get them and are reaping the benefits.

Goff and Wentz are only fueling that fire though. Both the Rams and Eagles traded up a boat load to get them and are reaping the benefits.

Just enough to feed the train of thought.

For every success there’s 5 busts.

There are many articles and as well as lots of forum discussions that break QBs down into categories. Some with as little as 3 categories to some having 8 or 9 categories. I don't delve that deeply into it. I just look at the guy and after a few years I think to myself, can the guy play at this level or not. If the guy has played some substantial amount of games and has won 35-40% of his starts or more, in my view, he is a proven NFL QB. If he doesn't meet at least that standard, I have a hard time believing he can play at the NFL level

As far as your 1srt category. A guy is either a champion or not. If he is, he clearly stands in ratified air.

Right. And keep in mind that Goff looked pretty bad his rookie year. He looked like a bust.

Sean McVay did an unbelievable job turning the Rams around in his first year as an HC. Goff looked like a different guy and that offense went from shoddy to excellent in a single year.

I haven't heard scouts comparing this year's guys to them, but I'd have to think Wentz and Goff had better overall grades than anybody in this crop. Both were more advanced.

Back