Question about Vareen, and a general question about the running attack

Steve1

Reaction score
What kind of runner is Vareen? I attended the Pats/Dolphins game on Christmas Eve day, and I asked that question to a young, but seemingly well-informed fan. He said Vareen is more of a quick, scat-back than Ridley. And Ridley is more of a tough runner (although Ridley showed some great quickness at times this past season!).

If that's all true, the Pats might have a pretty decent rushing tandem (along with Woodhead catching those short passes, and finding those 3rd-down rushing seams).

Here's my general question about the Pats running attack next season. With Lloyd in the fold, the Pats potentially have some fine receivers, better as a whole than last year (not talking tight ends now, but receivers). And really good depth at receiver. My question....do you think the Pats should leave Gronkowski more on the line of scrimmage as a running-play blocker? He's a great blocker, and the Pats have Lloyd, Hernandez, Branch, Welker, Ocho Cinco (if he's retained), and I'll add Gonzalez and Underwood to the mix.

They might not need Gronk to be a 70+ catch tight end next season. I think adding Lloyd puts the Pats in a better position to let Gronk run-block more often, which I think would really solidify the rushing attack. I'm starting to think the Pats don't have to add any great runningbacks. I had originally thought so, because I'm on record as saying the Pats need to get pressure off Brady, by making the running attack more of a staple.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Ys2A9Mm2hQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

What kind of runner is Vareen? I attended the Pats/Dolphins game on Christmas Eve day, and I asked that question to a young, but seemingly well-informed fan. He said Vareen is more of a quick, scat-back than Ridley. And Ridley is more of a tough runner (although Ridley showed some great quickness at times this past season!).

If that's all true, the Pats might have a pretty decent rushing tandem (along with Woodhead catching those short passes, and finding those 3rd-down rushing seams).

Here's my general question about the Pats running attack next season. With Lloyd in the fold, the Pats potentially have some fine receivers, better as a whole than last year (not talking tight ends now, but receivers). And really good depth at receiver. My question....do you think the Pats should leave Gronkowski more on the line of scrimmage as a running-play blocker? He's a great blocker, and the Pats have Lloyd, Hernandez, Branch, Welker, Ocho Cinco (if he's retained), and I'll add Gonzalez and Underwood to the mix.

They might not need Gronk to be a 70+ catch tight end next season. I think adding Lloyd puts the Pats in a better position to let Gronk run-block more often, which I think would really solidify the rushing attack. I'm starting to think the Pats don't have to add any great runningbacks. I had originally thought so, because I'm on record as saying the Pats need to get pressure off Brady, by making the running attack more of a staple.

Vereen has played so little that it is really hard to say what kind of player he might end up becoming, but I will say that-- based on very little evidence-- that he could be the fastest running back in the history of the team.

Not the best, most elusive, slipperiest or anything else.

Just the fastest. Major, major wheels and acceleration.

If anybody has an opinion to who the fastest back in team history is then I'd love to hear who that might be. It's kind of a tough question, but honestly that's what I think.

Vereen has played so little that it is really hard to say what kind of player he might end up becoming, but I will say that-- based on very little evidence-- that he could be the fastest running back in the history of the team.

If anybody has an opinion to who the fastest back in team history is then I'd love to hear who that might be. It's kind of a tough question, but honestly that's what I think.

IDK. Woodhead's pretty fast. Ran a 4.38 at his ProDay. As his slow time. His fast time was 4.33.

BTW - Why do so many people spell it "Vareen"? Where did that come from? Maybe because it looks more like "Va-rooom" that way?

IDK. Woodhead's pretty fast. Ran a 4.38 at his ProDay. As his slow time. His fast time was 4.33.

BTW - Why do so many people spell it "Vareen"? Where did that come from? Maybe because it looks more like "Va-rooom" that way?

Vereen's combine measurements

40 Yrd Dash: 4.49 s
20 Yrd Split: 2.58 s
10 Yrd Split: 1.56 s

225 lb. Bench Reps: 31
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 9ft 7 in
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.28 s
3-Cone Drill: 6.95 s

Woodhead's ProDay numbers

40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
20 Yrd Split: 2.50
10 Yrd Split: 1.44

225 lb Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10ft 1in
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20 s
3-Cone Drill: 7.03 s

So Woodhead's faster in pretty much every department.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Ys2A9Mm2hQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

Shane Vereen's New England Patriots Highlights:

a1967586-186-tumbleweed.jpg

Vereen was a speedy back out of Cal. He has not played much last season obviously, and when he did play it was during his "string" of hamstring injuries so we probably were not seeing him at full speed. He is not a power back like Ridley but he was an RB who had good hands and could catch out of the backfield--similar to Woodhead but Vereen might have been a better ball carrier.

He also was a very good returner on STs for Cal, thanks to his speed among other things. We could see more of him if he can stay healthy.

The thing that worries me is we have barely seen him. I see his college highlights, but it's just not a good sign when a guy barely gets on the field. I would not be opposed to invested another second or third round pick in a running back this year. I guess it depends on what happens with the Lawfirm.

Addressing the OP's second question:

In 2011, Brady threw 611 times, second highest in his career, I think. Welker had 172 targets, Gronk had 124 (those two alone accounted for nearly half). Ahern had 113 and Branch had 90. That's about 500 of Brady's 611, so Ocho, Woody, BGE, Ridley basically split the other 100, with Ocho getting 32 of those.

Lloyd had 150+ targets in each f his last two seasons under McDaniels. If McDaniels is going to use him extensively in 2012, unless Brady is going to throw even more, those targets are going to have to come from the other guys. If you're talking about increasing the number of running plays to reduce Brady's total throws, that means even deeper target reductions for the other guys.

So, yeah, it's probably inevitable that Gronk's targets are reduced, regardless.

Vereen

They haven't had too many guys that can just plain jet down the sideline for a 30-yard td. Those guys are pretty rare anyway. It sounds like Vereen, when healthy, could be a great kickoff returner.

When Curtis Martin was a rookie, didn't he run for a long td against Cleveland opening day? Or am I thinking of his long run in the fog against the Steelers in Jan. 1997? Anyway, he got lost in the fog at some point...not necessarily a sign of blazing speed...

Vereen is 5'10" 210 v 5'7" 190 for Woody. Almost as fast... hmmmm.

Back