Random Jets Stuff Thread

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YO3gLmBVLfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imo, the Jets have some issues.

How do they replace guys like Kris Jenkins, Shawn Ellis, Jason Taylor, with" all stars" like Mike DeVito, who is a dedicated journey man, Sione Pouha and PS squad Ropati Pitoitua, not to mention the two rookies, Wilkerson and Ellis. I'm sure that Devito, Pouha and Wilkerson will play, but that isn't the same effective D line the Jets have had the last 2 years.

And Burress has already suffered an ankle and back injury, and Mason doesn't seem to have any speed left. I'm not surprised.

The running game isn't producing any results. Could Ladanian be feeling his age, only three years after being dumped by the Chargers? It is all on Shone Greene now. Depth? Joe McKnight, yeah sure, who looks like another all star bust selection to join Tanney's other picks.

Still, Jets fans are resolute that Tanny is a genius at scouting talent (Robertson? Gholston?? Ducasse???), and will pull multiple rabbits out of his hat, the next few weeks. As regards "depth", the Jets haven't needed it for the past two seasons. Why start now?

To top it off, the Jets' O line is unsettled. I'm not suggesting the Jets aren't a good team. I'm suggesting that unless Sanchez really turns his game up a notch, the Jets will struggle to match their play of the last 2 years.

How do they replace guys like Kris Jenkins, Shawn Ellis, Jason Taylor, with" all stars" like Mike DeVito, who is a dedicated journey man, Sione Pouha and PS squad Ropati Pitoitua, not to mention the two rookies, Wilkerson and Ellis. I'm sure that Devito, Pouha and Wilkerson will play, but that isn't the same effective D line the Jets have had the last 2 years.

And Burress has already suffered an ankle and back injury, and Mason doesn't seem to have any speed left. I'm not surprised.

The running game isn't producing any results. Could Ladanian be feeling his age, only three years after being dumped by the Chargers? It is all on Shone Greene now. Depth? Joe McKnight, yeah sure, who looks like another all star bust selection to join Tanney's other picks.

Still, Jets fans are resolute that Tanny is a genius at scouting talent (Robertson? Gholston?? Ducasse???), and will pull multiple rabbits out of his hat, the next few weeks. As regards "depth", the Jets haven't needed it for the past two seasons. Why start now?

To top it off, the Jets' O line is unsettled. I'm not suggesting the Jets aren't a good team. I'm suggesting that unless Sanchez really turns his game up a notch, the Jets will struggle to match their play of the last 2 years.
We defly have some hurdles to overcome but I think we have have the guys.

Jenkins was a beast but he also was hurt alot. Pohua is no Jenkins but he's stepped up nicely.

Taylor was good in spots but I'm not too concerned with him moving on.

Ellis will be hard to replace, we'll just need to see how the rookies do.

Burress will be dealing will tweaks & soreness all season, Rex will need to manage his playing time until he gets more into football shape. I think he's going to play very well, even if it's in a somewhat limited role to start.

I'm not sure why you would say that about Mason. He is 37 but his catches, yards & TDs were all better than Cotchery's (Who I really liked) last season.

As for the running game, we're only 2 games into the preseason, we've yet to have our starting Ol on the field, Greene didn't play last week and LT isn't meant to be our every down back. Greens ran very well in the 1st game and I think the combo of Lt, McKnight & Powell will be just fine.

When it comes to Tanny, it's easy to pick out picks that haven't worked out on any team. He also drafted Revis, Harris, Keller, Dbrickashaw & Sanchez.

I agree that this is the season that Mark needs to take that "Next" step and that given our OL questions, alot of the offensive pressure will be on his shoulders.

We defly have some hurdles to overcome but I think we have have the guys.

Jenkins was a beast but he also was hurt alot. Pohua is no Jenkins but he's stepped up nicely.

Taylor was good in spots but I'm not too concerned with him moving on.

Ellis will be hard to replace, we'll just need to see how the rookies do.

Burress will be dealing will tweaks & soreness all season, Rex will need to manage his playing time until he gets more into football shape. I think he's going to play very well, even if it's in a somewhat limited role to start.

I'm not sure why you would say that about Mason. He is 37 but his catches, yards & TDs were all better than Cotchery's (Who I really liked) last season.

As for the running game, we're only 2 games into the preseason, we've yet to have our starting Ol on the field, Greene didn't play last week and LT isn't meant to be our every down back. Greens ran very well in the 1st game and I think the combo of Lt, McKnight & Powell will be just fine.

When it comes to Tanny, it's easy to pick out picks that haven't worked out on any team. He also drafted Revis, Harris, Keller, Dbrickashaw & Sanchez.

I agree that this is the season that Mark needs to take that "Next" step and that given our OL questions, alot of the offensive pressure will be on his shoulders.

So your only disagreement with my post was over Mason as I read it. The other issues I mentioned are relevant and if some rookies don't perform the way the lost veterans did, then what? I think lack of depth at key positions could also be an issue. From what I can see and understand, the Jets were a better team last year, at least on paper. As you said, this is only preseason.

<table id="result" class="data-table1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td class="tbdy">
</td> <td class="tbdy">
</td> <td>
</td> <td class="tbdy">
</td> <td class="ra">
</td> <td class="tbdy">
</td> <td class="ra">
</td> <td class="tbdy">
</td> <td class="ra">
</td> <td class="tbdy">
</td> <td class="ra">
</td> <td class="tbdy">
</td> <td class="tbdy1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Jenkins played all of about 12 snaps last season, Pouha started 18 games, they'll cope their, if anything they're stronger at nose cause they have Ellis to sub, Taylor isn't a massive one to replace either (however they haven't)
Devito also started 10+ games last year, he'll start no issue. Issue is Wilk is going to be forced into RDE with no backup for the whole year

So your only disagreement with my post was over Mason as I read it. The other issues I mentioned are relevant and if some rookies don't perform the way the lost veterans did, then what? I think lack of depth at key positions could also be an issue. From what I can see and understand, the Jets were a better team last year, at least on paper. As you said, this is only preseason.

<TABLE class=data-table1 id=result cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD class=ra>

</TD><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD class=ra>

</TD><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD class=ra>

</TD><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD class=ra>

</TD><TD class=tbdy>

</TD><TD class=tbdy1>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Maybe I was a bit unclear.
I agree that our Ol is looking a bit shaky, but other than that I think the Jets have done a good job of filling the gaps.

Maybe I was a bit unclear.
I agree that our Ol is looking a bit shaky, but other than that I think the Jets have done a good job of filling the gaps.

My issue with the Jets is that I don't think they were all that impressive last year. They give NE fits, but 4 of their wins were unquestionably of the miracle variety. They bring back the same talent they have in 2010, but I still wonder whether that talent is more than your average 8-9 win team.

They do come alive in the playoffs. If they played all year like that I'd probably change my opinion.

The question is will they are better than Cotchery's THIS season?

I think the combo of Lt, McKnight & Powell will be just fine.
Pats fans like it, also. it's nice when we can find a common ground :coffee:

Four out of five is pretty good.

My issue with the Jets is that I don't think they were all that impressive last year. They give NE fits, but 4 of their wins were unquestionably of the miracle variety. They bring back the same talent they have in 2010, but I still wonder whether that talent is more than your average 8-9 win team.

They do come alive in the playoffs. If they played all year like that I'd probably change my opinion.

I would agree that we won games we could've just as easily lost, if not for Mark playing excellent at the end of those games. Mark will also be the key to this season. Because of having to work in new receivers again, Mark will need to prove that he's the QB we all hope he is.

I would agree that we won games we could've just as easily lost, if not for Mark playing excellent at the end of those games
I'd put those games into the miracle finish category.

You say Pats fans are homers, but we know when Brady doesn't play well, and say so. Cough cough last night.

When there is a busted coverage and Brady heaves one up to Welker for a TD, no one here thinks if was Brady's excellent playing on that play. Yet Sanchez under pressure heaves up a Hail Mary at the end of the half and Burress makes a terrific grab, and the Jersey Jets fans rave about how Sanchez is coming on this year.

Different expectations I guess.

2010: Pats get eliminated 2 games from the superbowl and it is a horrible season, one we are still upset over.

2010: Jets get eliminated 1 game from the superbowl and it was a hugely successful season, one they are still bragging about. Hell, jets fans are still bragging about almost making the superbowl two years ago. "Our team is GOOD. We almost went to the Superbowl two years in a row. We're hoping for a three-peat and almost making it again!"

Whatever.

You say Pats fans are homers, but we know when Brady doesn't play well, and say so. Cough cough last night.

When there is a busted coverage and Brady heaves one up to Welker for a TD, no one here thinks if was Brady's excellent playing on that play. Yet Sanchez under pressure heaves up a Hail Mary at the end of the half and Burress makes a terrific grab, and the Jersey Jets fans rave about how Sanchez is coming on this year.

2010: Pats get eliminated 2 games from the superbowl and it is a horrible season, one we are still upset over.

2010: Jets get eliminated 1 game from the superbowl and it was a hugely successful season, one they are still bragging about. Hell, jets fans are still bragging about almost making the superbowl two years ago. "Our team is GOOD. We almost went to the Superbowl two years in a row. We're hoping for a three-peat and almost making it again!"

Whatever.

Why is it that if Mark brings his team back late in the game or makes a great throw to put the game away, you consider it a miracle?

If Brady made the same plays that Mark did to win against the Browns, Lions & Texans, or went on the road against a 14-2 team and beat them in the playoffs, I doubt you'd be sitting here talking about miracle wins. You'd be talking about your QB doing what he's supposed to do.

Whatever.

opinions vary

Why is it that if Mark brings his team back late in the game or makes a great throw to put the game away, you consider it a miracle?

If Brady made the same plays that Mark did to win against the Browns, Lions & Texans, or went on the road against a 14-2 team and beat them in the playoffs, I doubt you'd be sitting here talking about miracle wins. You'd be talking about your QB doing what he's supposed to do.

Not at all. Sanchez didn't make a great throw, it was just terrible tackling. And they only got the ball because of the dumbest coaching decision you'll ever see by Mangini on Cleve's prior possession.

Against Hou they single covered the only receiver who ran more than 20 yards when NY had to go 46 yards in 18 seconds with no TOs. It was a nice throw but no other team in high school, let along the pros would make such an idiotic mistake.

He made some nice throws on the last two drives against Det, but the only reason NY even had a chance at the end was because Suh had to attempt an XP and Detroit didn't just run the ball on their final play. Those two things, neither of which NY had any control over, would have forced NY to drive 70 yards for a TD with about 40 seconds left and no TO.

Seriously, NY was the beneficiary of some really, really dumb coaching and playing. I'm not saying that never happens for NE. They were outplayed against SD, but pulled it out because the Chargers kept shooting themselves in the foot. But NY had thise types of games for half their season last year.

If he did, I wouldn't. He didn't, I do.

Not true. When we are the bendficiary of a miracle, play I acknowledge it. In 2001 we had a couple of miracle plays. Against the Bills, Fred Coleman (or David Patten, I forget), got knocked cold and fumbled. A Bill scooped it up and ran it in for what would have been a game-winning TD. Instead the ball was ruled down because Coleman/Patten fell unconscious is such a way that that his head was out of bounds and the ball bumped his inbounds leg. Ball out of bounds, Pats retain possession, miracle finish. If this was the Jets, you'd be talking about the great pass made to Coleman/Patten before the fumble and how Sanchez won the same. Bah.

I don't consider the tuck rule to be a miracle finish becuase is should have been a personal foul blow to the head, but the last two games of the season for the Jets were miracles for the Pats in that they both took weird and improbable turns of events in the Jets-Bills and Jets-Raiders games. Yeah, Brady won his two games, but it took miracle finishes in the Jets games or we would not have had home field advantage in the playoffs.

opinions vary
Yes, they do. Jets fans are of the opinion Sanchez made a great throw. Other NFL fans think he heaved it up blindly and Burress made an incredible catch.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Sanchez is a decent journeyman middle-of-the-pack QB who has been the beneficiary of incredible luck.

Yes, they do. Jets fans are of the opinion Sanchez made a great throw. Other NFL fans think he heaved it up blindly and Burress made an incredible catch.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is that Sanchez is a decent journeyman middle-of-the-pack QB who has been the beneficiary of incredible luck.

Wrong again. Jets fans are of the opinion that Plaxico made a great catch. If it was Moss who made that catch, you'd be talking about his receiving abilities. I doubt that you would be talking about Brady making a shitty throw.

Wrong again. Jets fans are of the opinion that Plaxico made a great catch. If it was Moss who made that catch, you'd be talking about his receiving abilities. I doubt that you would be talking about Brady making a shitty throw.

I don't know about that - Moss could catch stuff (when his heart was in it) that even Plax wouldn't be able to catch even in his dreams. I've seen shitty Brady passes that any other reciever would have missed.

But I digress - you can't really compare Brady/Moss with Sanchez/Plaxico under normal circumstances, let alone based on one preseason game for the latter. We need a full seasons body of work before then :)

Back