Realistic Cap Dork Shit involving Trades and Dead Cap Numbers for Rebuild

Why would you sign FAs in their 30s if you're trying to start over?

If you can get a 26 year old stud on a 5-year deal, then sure. First, the player is going to have to want to come here, and second that's a fair enough tradeoff for losing a free agent. Also bear in mind, everyone I listed in the OP is a FA in 2024. The original play was for this and next year to be the run - all the contracts are up in 2024 of any note. So we're not getting any comp picks this year.

I dont think you need to remove the elder players to start over. You want veterans on the field and in the locker room the guide the rookies. You cut/trade those you dont need, regardless of age. Rookies will need a team around them to function. When rookies become veterans, they will fill that role.

And I dont think the strategy is as important as those who implement it. We can get the best QB in the world in next years draft, but he will need someone to throw the ball to. With a very few exception, the WRs and TEs we have aquired the last 10 years have been terrible. If this doesnt change, we wont get anywhere. We had a QB who made it work with less, now we dont. And even he probably wouldnt have made it work with the supporting staff we have now.

I dont think you need to remove the elder players to start over. You want veterans on the field and in the locker room the guide the rookies. You cut/trade those you dont need, regardless of age. Rookies will need a team around them to function. When rookies become veterans, they will fill that role.

And I dont think the strategy is as important as those who implement it. We can get the best QB in the world in next years draft, but he will need someone to throw the ball to. With a very few exception, the WRs and TEs we have aquired the last 10 years have been terrible. If this doesnt change, we wont get anywhere. We had a QB who made it work with less, now we dont. And even he probably wouldnt have made it work with the supporting staff we have now.
I get what you're saying but I think it’s less important with this roster. It's not like we have a ton of veteran leadership, if we did we wouldn't have seen the results we have for the last two weeks. If we are going to make the bold changes most of us feel are needed, than no one should be off limits. What I fear most at this point is a half measured approach. I believe the failures are as much in the philosophy of the way this team has been built as much as the talent of the players. Bill has been trying to build a team to compete 20 years ago when special teams mattered and a top 10 defense would get you to the playoffs almost every year. It's just not that way anymore, rule changes have nurfed special teams almost entirely as well as rendered secondary play an exercise in futility. They have a great opportunity with the upcoming cap space and likely draft position to make the necessary changes to allow this team to complete. I just don't believe Bill is the guy to do it.

I get what you're saying but I think it’s less important with this roster. It's not like we have a ton of veteran leadership, if we did we wouldn't have seen the results we have for the last two weeks. If we are going to make the bold changes most of us feel are needed, than no one should be off limits. What I fear most at this point is a half measured approach. I believe the failures are as much in the philosophy of the way this team has been built as much as the talent of the players. Bill has been trying to build a team to compete 20 years ago when special teams mattered and a top 10 defense would get you to the playoffs almost every year. It's just not that way anymore, rule changes have nurfed special teams almost entirely as well as rendered secondary play an exercise in futility. They have a great opportunity with the upcoming cap space and likely draft position to make the necessary changes to allow this team to complete. I just don't believe Bill is the guy to do it.
These next 10 weeks or so need to be about evaluating the roster from top to bottom and figuring out who we keep and who we let go or trade. I believe when Bill talked about "starting over" and he was referring to this process. Elevating Cunningham to the 53 was a move in this direction to see if we have something in this kid or not.

Back