Red Ring of Death? (360 Q)

Brownfan80

Dad of 7, still love the Pats!
Reaction score
I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas. It's pretty damn sweet. Nicole gave me Halo 3 and Madden 08 (unlike the real Pats, I lost to the fricking JETS in week 1... what the hell???), and then with gift cards I bought Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4.

The games far exceeded what I expected from the console, so my fun factor and video gaming happiness meter is nearly maxed out right now.

But still there's that nagging worry in the back of my head that my nice shiny new Halo Edition 360 might crap out and give me the much publicized Red Ring of Death syndrome.

For those that have or have had an Xbox 360, did you have any problems with the system dying? Do you know anyone that has had problems?

I'm just hoping that the problems are over hyped.

I like these new games too much to have my system die on me.

The ole' Red Ring of Death appeared on my sons Xbox 360 this past spring. Microsoft replaced it for free (shipping and everything).

Edit: Make sure you register that sumabitch though.

I'm relatively certain that the newer consoles shouldn't have the "red ring of death" issue. So, yours will probably be fine.

Sadly, we got ours when they first came out and we did encounter said ring. Oblivion (my favorite game) just fried it. Anyway, if you get the ring it's not too big of a deal. You call Xbox, they send you a box, you put the console in the box and UPS it (free of charge) to Xbox, they fix it and mail it back. It took about 6 weeks for ours but that was because they lost it.

Never heard of it. My mother bought my son XBox elite with Halo 3, Call of Duty 4 and we got him Assassin's Creed with a gift card he got last year and forgot about for his stocking stuffer.

I have been fortunate so far, just dont move the thing when its powered on....it makes the worst sound in the world!

if you play call of duty 4 online let me know ;)

I spent a few years working @MS when the X-Box 360 was under development... for nearly a year, I used the X-Box at work every day during my lunch break ummmmm "testing" it, and the new Halo game at the time... never had a problem. Got the kids X-Boxes last christmas, and they havn't had any trouble either...

KenJr30 on 12-28-2007 at 02:51 PM said:
The ole' Red Ring of Death appeared on my sons Xbox 360 this past spring. Microsoft replaced it for free (shipping and everything).

Edit: Make sure you register that sumabitch though.

Thanks for the reminder, in all of my gaming excitement (Mass Effect is blowing my mind) I had forgotten to do that.

I'll make sure to register this weekend.

ICB on 12-28-2007 at 02:52 PM said:
I'm relatively certain that the newer consoles shouldn't have the "red ring of death" issue. So, yours will probably be fine.

Sadly, we got ours when they first came out and we did encounter said ring. Oblivion (my favorite game) just fried it. Anyway, if you get the ring it's not too big of a deal. You call Xbox, they send you a box, you put the console in the box and UPS it (free of charge) to Xbox, they fix it and mail it back. It took about 6 weeks for ours but that was because they lost it.

Yeah I'd heard about the newer ones supposedly being better.. but there are a lot of bad reviews already on Amazon from this Christmas! I'm like whoa-day!

I feel like Paranoid Patriot up in dis bitch.

Brownfan80 on 12-28-2007 at 02:56 PM said:
Yeah I'd heard about the newer ones supposedly being better.. but there are a lot of bad reviews already on Amazon from this Christmas! I'm like whoa-day!

I feel like Paranoid Patriot up in dis bitch.

I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case scenario is it breaks and Microsoft fixes it for free. You lose your console for a couple of weeks but that's about it. We were pissed about ours because, when it happened, we were pretty sure it was already out of warranty. Then we found out that, due to Microsoft's crappy manufacturing of the Xbox, our warranty had been extended.

Just remember, it's alot easier to go write a review when you are pissed off and unsatisfied than it is when you are getting what you want and expect.

Also, I believe the Halo edition is a second gen. I'd never buy a first gen system. The original xbox's first generation had similar hardware issues.

Me, I got "my son" a Wii.

The*Big*Lebowski on 12-28-2007 at 03:01 PM said:
Just remember, it's alot easier to go write a review when you are pissed off and unsatisfied than it is when you are getting what you want and expect.

Also, I believe the Halo edition is a second gen. I'd never buy a first gen system. The original xbox's first generation had similar hardware issues.

Me, I got "my son" a Wii.

Yeah, that's true.. I knew that in the back of my mind, but the worry was blotting it out, thanks.

I'm going to be getting a Wii one of these days too.. hopefully the ebayers stop being greedy sunzabyatches and let us normal people get the affordable version of the console.

Brownfan80 on 12-28-2007 at 02:49 PM said:
I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas. It's pretty damn sweet. Nicole gave me Halo 3 and Madden 08 (unlike the real Pats, I lost to the fricking JETS in week 1... what the hell???), and then with gift cards I bought Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4.

The games far exceeded what I expected from the console, so my fun factor and video gaming happiness meter is nearly maxed out right now.

But still there's that nagging worry in the back of my head that my nice shiny new Halo Edition 360 might crap out and give me the much publicized Red Ring of Death syndrome.

For those that have or have had an Xbox 360, did you have any problems with the system dying? Do you know anyone that has had problems?

I'm just hoping that the problems are over hyped.

I like these new games too much to have my system die on me.
Whats your XBL gamertag?

Brownfan80 on 12-28-2007 at 03:04 PM said:
Yeah, that's true.. I knew that in the back of my mind, but the worry was blotting it out, thanks.

I'm going to be getting a Wii one of these days too.. hopefully the ebayers stop being greedy sunzabyatches and let us normal people get the affordable version of the console.

huh. I sold a Wii on Ebay thinking I'd make a killing and I think I wound up making about 6 bucks after fees and such.

The Wii is awesome though. I woulda bought a 360 if it was just for me. My boys are little so Wii is perfect.

My boys got the 360 last year. It has red ring'd 2 different games on them. It carved perfect, deep grooves in the business side of the disks. Both times this occurred it was after they had transported the console WITH a game still inside it. Other times they have transported it empty and had no probs. Seems related to me.

Is this the ring of death you all refer to?

Re: Re: Red Ring of Death? (360 Q)

Major A$$hole* on 12-28-2007 at 03:06 PM said:
Whats your XBL gamertag?

None yet. It wasn't a gift I knew about, so I don't have the high speed internet yet.

I used to have it, but at our new apartment the internet was free (wireless), but not very highspeed at our distance.

For the 360 I'll have to look into getting high speed again.

I think we're too far from the wireless source (the clubhouse) for the Xbox to pick it up (assuming I was going to shell out the dough for the adapter to even try it).

And even if it did pick it up, it'd probably lag like a byatch. I get between 8 and 24 mbps on my PC, and it's on the far end of the apartment towards the clubhouse. The living room is farther away, so the signal would be even worse.

But yeah, long way of saying that once I do get highspeed I'm going to try and register under my normal screen name of Brownfan80. It's what I had before on my regular xbox live account, we'll see if I can get it again.

I got my 360 exactly one year ago and it’s been great so far. My friend had his about a year longer than I did and played Halo 3 for about 72 hours straight when the demo came out with Crackdown and he got the Red Rings of Death. Like someone else said – Microsoft covered the shipping costs and took care of the problem.

I’m also going to be getting COD4 so I’ll hopefully be playing that online too.

pookie* on 12-28-2007 at 03:12 PM said:
Is this the ring of death you all refer to?

The "red ring of death" is when the lights that are normally green on and around the power button turn red and your 360 no longer functions.

My original xbox died that way. But I'd had it for like four or five years at that point.

Re: Re: Re: Red Ring of Death? (360 Q)

Brownfan80 on 12-28-2007 at 03:12 PM said:
None yet. It wasn't a gift I knew about, so I don't have the high speed internet yet.

I used to have it, but at our new apartment the internet was free (wireless), but not very highspeed at our distance.

For the 360 I'll have to look into getting high speed again.

I think we're too far from the wireless source (the clubhouse) for the Xbox to pick it up (assuming I was going to shell out the dough for the adapter to even try it).

And even if it did pick it up, it'd probably lag like a byatch. I get between 8 and 24 mbps on my PC, and it's on the far end of the apartment towards the clubhouse. The living room is farther away, so the signal would be even worse.

But yeah, long way of saying that once I do get highspeed I'm going to try and register under my normal screen name of Brownfan80. It's what I had before on my regular xbox live account, we'll see if I can get it again.
You will have to recover it. Xboxlive.com gives instructions on how to do it. I can't belive they charge 100 bucks for the wireless adapter. What a ripoff.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Red Ring of Death? (360 Q)

Major A$$hole* on 12-28-2007 at 03:26 PM said:
You will have to recover it. Xboxlive.com gives instructions on how to do it. I can't belive they charge 100 bucks for the wireless adapter. What a ripoff.

I thought that if you let your account lapse for a certain amount of time that the name was given up for whoever else came along..

It's been about two or two and a half years since i had Live on my regular Xbox.

Back