Report: Patriots Reach Out To S Devin McCourty About A Contract Extension

I ithnk Devon is a smart kid who will make money on his new deal but realizes a little less can be offset with a some endorsements, especially as a multiple time probowl safety

Was told this was deserving of a thread of its own...

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-patriots-reach-out-to-s-devin-mccourty-about-a-contract-extension/

As I mentioned in the random football thread, I like McCourty. But i just hope he isn't looking to get paid Earl Thomas or Jarius Byrd type money.

What do you guys think.

Well, it's the Pat's reaching out right. So they'd like to get him locked up., Maybe create some cap space? (haven't looked at his numbers), maybe get that little HT discount that frequents these earlier redos and take one more issue of the table so as to clarify and simplify next years agenda?

Good idea. Perfectly correct approach. If he want's too much, he won't get it (and benefits us anyway as we'll gain knowledge and learn more about where we stand). :shrug:

Cheers, BostonTim

This is big news for Pats fans. BB is taking the right approach to reach out and reward a good foot soldier who does things the Patriot way. Devin is a great guy who does great things on and off the field. He makes his mom proud and he makes me proud to be a fan of his.

Well, it's the Pat's reaching out right. So they'd like to get him locked up., Maybe create some cap space? (haven't looked at his numbers), maybe get that little HT discount that frequents these earlier redos and take one more issue of the table so as to clarify and simplify next years agenda?

Good idea. Perfectly correct approach. <b> If he want's too much, he won't get it</b> (and benefits us anyway as we'll gain knowledge and learn more about where we stand). :shrug:

Cheers, BostonTim

Makes me wonder if McCourty does want too much, Maybe they will let him walk and move Logan Ryan to FS.

Makes me wonder if McCourty does want too much, Maybe they will let him walk and move Logan Ryan to FS.

Way too soon to start speculating that. DMac has shown repeatedly he likes playing here. Give it time

Good idea. Perfectly correct approach. If he want's too much, he won't get it (and benefits us anyway as we'll gain knowledge and learn more about where we stand). :shrug:

Cheers, BostonTim

IIRC, I think his numbers are just over the 3 Million range this year..so getting this done sooner makes financial sense.

McCourty's cap hit for 2014 is currently $5.12M:

$3.92M base

$300k - remaining original signing bonus
$845k - option bonus
$ 50k - workout bonus

Top Ten cap hits for safeties (2014):
Berry ------ $11.62M
Weddle ---- $10.10M
Rolle -------- $9.25M
Goldson ----- $9.00M
Griffin ------- $8.00M
Thomas ----- $7.37M
Branch ------ $7.16M
Polamalu ---- $6.39M
Chancellor -- $5.83M
Moore ------ $5.15M
McCourty --- $5.12M (11th)

Byrd and Delmas are tied with Woodson for #20 at $3.50M - that's just above TJ Ward and just below Reshad Jones (that's just for 2014).

For his new contract/extension, McCourty could end up in the Top Six, so comps are as follows:

Top Six for 2015:
Byrd - $10.30M
Weddle - $10.10M
Branch - $9.66M
Berry - $8.36M
Polamalu - $8.25M
Griffin - $8.10M

Top Six for 2016:
Thomas - $9.90M
Byrd - $9.70M
Whitner - $8.45M
Griffin - $8.30M
Branch - $8.26M
Jones - $8.25M

- Contracts for Griffin, Branch and Jones run through 2017 at an average annual cap hit of $7.00M and average guaranteed money around $12.5M.
- Berry's extension of his 2010 contract runs through 2015 at a cap hit of $8.1M per year with $26.00M guaranteed.
- Byrd's contract runs through 2019 at $9.00M annual cap hit with $26.00M guaranteed.
- Thomas' contract runs through 2018 at $9.10M annual cap hit with $26.00M guaranteed.

McCourty turns 27 mid-August, so a five-year deal, through 2018, would take him through his age-31 season. Based on the comps above, I'd guess it would probably produce an average annual cap hit between $7.5M-$8.0M with somewhere between $15M-$20M guaranteed.

In it's simplest form, the deal might be structured something like this:

2014: $1.25M base + $2.0M signing bonus = $3.25M cap hit
2015: $5.00M base + $2.0M signing bonus = $7.00M cap hit
2016: $6.00M base + $2.0M signing bonus = $8.00M cap hit
2017: $7.00M base + $2.0M signing bonus = $9.00M cap hit
2018: $8.00M base + $2.0M signing bonus = $10.00M cap hit

- Signing bonus is $10.00M.
- 2014 and 2015 base salaries would be guaranteed for a $16.25M total guarantee.
- Misc. bonuses (workout, incentives, etc.) would likely add another $750k-$1.0M/year tot take the "total contract value" up over $40M.

Maybe that's why they're trying to make Logan Ryan a safety? :shrug:

Media types hear that Ryan was practicing at safety out in California in March and immediately state it as fact that the Pats are converting him.

Ain't necessarily so. In fact, during the two OTA practices that have been open to the media so far, all they've seen with Ryan is him working at corner.

Ryan has excellent ball skills and is a very good tackler and a pretty good boundary corner. With Revis and Browner manning the boundaries for 2014, it would be kinda dumb for the Patriots to NOT have Ryan practicing other DB roles as a way of getting him and his skills on the field this season in something more than nickel and dime packages. Which does not equal "converting him" to a safety.

Anyway, I don't think the McCourty contract I projected is at all outrageous, certainly not dear enough for the Pats to start grooming Ryan as his replacement.

I think BB wants to make Ryan a safety in case Harmon or Wilson don't turn into anything.

But I also think BB would be content walking out DMC and Ryan as two ballhawkers behind a very good group of CBs.

Even if Revis is gone next season, Dennard, Browner and Arrington are under contract, so maybe BB sees ryan as a long term S beside DMC? :shrug:

But I think in a year or two Ryan could be our best CB but if he wants to see the field a lot this year he may play safety for his playmaking ability. Maybe this is just a one year thing to give Harmon another season to grow and get the best talent on the field with the log jam at CB

I think BB wants to make Ryan a safety in case Harmon or Wilson don't turn into anything.

But I also think BB would be content walking out DMC and Ryan as two ballhawkers behind a very good group of CBs.

Even if Revis is gone next season, Dennard, Browner and Arrington are under contract, so maybe BB sees ryan as a long term S beside DMC? :shrug:

But I think in a year or two Ryan could be our best CB but if he wants to see the field a lot this year he may play safety for his playmaking ability. Maybe this is just a one year thing to give Harmon another season to grow and get the best talent on the field with the log jam at CB

I don't think it's a case of Ryan OR Harmon. The Pats had five or six DBs on the field for something like 67% of the defensive snaps last season. If your #5/#6 DB can play both corner and safety, it provides a lot of versatility in coverage.

So, the "base four" might be Revis, Browner, McCourty, Harmon. The next DB in could be Arrington or Ryan or Dennard, depending on the situation, or, it could be both Ryan and Arrington with either Browner or Harmon coming off. Or, at some point, Ryan/Dennard could come in to cover the boundary while Browner rotates down to cover a TE. And, of course, since Harmon can be, functionally, a free safety, he and McCourty can switch up on the snap.

What this all means is that an opposing QB may have a bit more difficulty deciphering the Pats' coverage scheme on a given play. And that extra half-beat of reading/thinking ends up putting Easley/Chandler/Nink in his face.

IOW, the Pats' 2014 defense could be poised to open a family-size can of whoop-ass on the league.

I don't think it's a case of Ryan OR Harmon. The Pats had five or six DBs on the field for something like 67% of the defensive snaps last season. If your #5/#6 DB can play both corner and safety, it provides a lot of versatility in coverage.

So, the "base four" might be Revis, Browner, McCourty, Harmon. The next DB in could be Arrington or Ryan or Dennard, depending on the situation, or, it could be both Ryan and Arrington with either Browner or Harmon coming off. Or, at some point, Ryan/Dennard could come in to cover the boundary while Browner rotates down to cover a TE. And, of course, since Harmon can be, functionally, a free safety, he and McCourty can switch up on the snap.

What this all means is that an opposing QB may have a bit more difficulty deciphering the Pats' coverage scheme on a given play. And that extra half-beat of reading/thinking ends up putting Easley/Chandler/Nink in his face.

IOW, the Pats' 2014 defense could be poised to open a family-size can of whoop-ass on the league.

Similar to the Seachickens. :coffee:

I agree with pretty much everything written here.

I could see Ryan as a longterm safety next to McCourty given the way the secondary is currently constituted. Ryan isn't going to see the field ahead of Revis or Browner. Him and Dennard would be competing for time in the slot with Arrington. Personally, I'd give the edge to Dennard, then Ryan, and Arrington would be my last option. I think he's a very good slot CB (Arrington that is), but I like what Dennard and Ryan offer more.

Sooooo, where does this leave us?

Well, Ryan has plenty of talent. He's got rather incredible ball skills, athletically he was shafted by the pundits coming out of college -- I think he has a great stride and runs effortlessly. Is he a track-star? Of course not, but it was repeatedly said that he was/is slow and un-athletic for a CB. I really couldn't disagree more. He carries his body well and moves effortlessly. On top of all this, he is a physical player who tackles well. He isn't going to be an enforcer over the middle but he isn't afraid to lower his shoulder and stick a guy.

With all that in mind, Ryan is a fantastic football player. He's also rather versatile. Put him at CB or S and he will play well. If he's better than Harmon, which has yet to be determined, then I have no issue with him playing safety next to McCourty. But if Harmon can build upon some of what he showed last season, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a capable starting safety.

We shall see. As far as I see it, Ryan appears to be a very promising prospect as a defensive back. Whether his ultimate role ends up being CB or S, I don't particularly care, nor does it particularly matter to me. I think he will succeed at either position given his skill-set, and I'll trust the coaching staff to place him at the spot where he is most needed.

So far in OTAs, Ryan has only played the CB position. I think a lot will depend on how the true safeties perform. Harmon played pretty well last year. BB, like Pete Carroll, has accumulated a few hybrid CB/S types.

So far in OTAs, Ryan has only played the CB position. I think a lot will depend on how the true safeties perform. Harmon played pretty well last year. BB, like Pete Carroll, has accumulated a few hybrid CB/S types.

AFAIK, that's only what the media has observed during the two (of six) practices that have been open to them. Maybe no telling what Ryan's been doing the other four practices.

AFAIK, that's only what the media has observed during the two (of six) practices that have been open to them. Maybe no telling what Ryan's been doing the other four practices.

Some reporter quoted him as saying he'd only played CB so far.

Back