Report: Ravens? Zach Orr to retire at age 24

Yes. This is a HUGE loss to the Ravens.

Odd...since he never even got paid yet. UDFA? He might be hurting more than you think.

From PFT:

Ravens linebacker Zach Orr is retiring not because he wants to, but because doctors are telling him he has to.

Orr says an examination on a herniated disc revealed that he has a rare neck condition that could result in a serious, life-changing injury if he continued to play. As a result, he’s walking away from football at age 24.

“I’m blessed and thankful that I’m able to walk away from the game in good health,” Orr said.

Florio updated his story. Orr is not walking away because of a fear of injury but because he has a serious neck injury. This is very sad.

Zach Orr says he’s “forced to walk away” because of neck condition

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2017, 11:11 AM EST
BALTIMORE, MD - SEPTEMBER 11: Linebacker Zach Orr #54 of the Baltimore Ravens celebrates in the first half of the Buffalo Bills vs. the Baltimore Ravens game at M&T Bank Stadium on September 11, 2016 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Ravens linebacker Zach Orr is retiring not because he wants to, but because doctors are telling him he has to.

Orr says an examination on a herniated disc revealed that he has a rare neck condition that could result in a serious, life-changing injury if he continued to play. As a result, he’s walking away from football at age 24.

“I’m blessed and thankful that I’m able to walk away from the game in good health,” Orr said.

After initially making the Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2014 by playing special teams, Orr emerged as a very good starting linebacker in Baltimore during the 2016 season. There was talk that he could be due for a big contract this offseason, but now he’s done playing football entirely.

Still, Orr seemed to be in good spirits, saying that he’s going to stay active in his community and in mentoring young men. Ravens coach John Harbaugh and G.M. Ozzie Newsome both called Orr a fine young man who has a bright future ahead of him. Just not on the field.

Considering the news about Mark Gastineau today, I wouldn't be surprised to see more early retirements. This kid did it before he made any money because of a neck condition, but the Gastineau news just underscores the risks you take in this game.

I'm very impressed with him for this. it's a mature, correct decision. He has the rest of his left to lead and he will at least be healthy and should be able to live without any issues. He can at least say he played in the league and that he was damn good.

I remembering during ravens game saying who is this Orr kid. He was flying all over the place vs the pats that game. Such a shame career is over already had potential to be one of the greats.

I remembering during ravens game saying who is this Orr kid. He was flying all over the place vs the pats that game. Such a shame career is over already had potential to be one of the greats.

When the Ravens played the Pats...Orr was their best player on defense.

Back