Report: Wright re-signs

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
According to ESPN, the Patriots have re-signed free agent defensive lineman Mike Wright to a four-year deal.

More...

Good move, I'm a big Mike Wright fan.

THAT! was one of the most important signings this off season!woohoo.

With Wright and Green behind the big 3, the D line is solid. Been waiting for that signing for three weeks now!

I won't call it a huge move but pretty big.

This defense as currently put together should be much improved from last year. And I still think it could be a heavy draft on the defensive side of the ball.

It had to be painful for BB watching all those 3rd and long conversions last year. I'm thinking the D is going to be much stronger this year. And with a healthy Brady, this team could really be dominant like it was 2 years ago.

I won't call it a huge move but pretty big.

This defense as currently put together should be much improved from last year. And I still think it could be a heavy draft on the defensive side of the ball.

It had to be painful for BB watching all those 3rd and long conversions last year. I'm thinking the D is going to be much stronger this year. And with a healthy Brady, this team could really be dominant like it was 2 years ago.

I disagree. Wright can play both nose and DE in our system and has done so with great effect in the past filling for both Big Vince and Warren. We cannot assume 100% snap counts out of either, and having Wright there means the D doesn't miss a beat.

I disagree. Wright can play both nose and DE in our system and has done so with great effect in the past filling for both Big Vince and Warren. We cannot assume 100% snap counts out of either, and having Wright there means the D doesn't miss a beat.

Shirt....I'm psyched they re-signed him. Not sure what you are disagreeing with. A huge move to me is a trade for an every down dominant player. But again, I still think it's a big move in the right direction. Wright is a role player and role players have played a large part in this team winning 3 superbowls this decade.

So just curious. They've signed Wright to a 4-yr deal while Vince is still hanging out pissed off waiting for negotiations on a new contract. Does anyone think there is a consideration that they don't expect to sign him to a new contract and might slide Wright in there when Wilfork becomes a FA next year?

So just curious. They've signed Wright to a 4-yr deal while Vince is still hanging out pissed off waiting for negotiations on a new contract. Does anyone think there is a consideration that they don't expect to sign him to a new contract and might slide Wright in there when Wilfork becomes a FA next year?
Or they felt like giving Wright a relatively cheap, but long term deal would be just the pressure they needed to show Big Vince and Big Sey that, while they were valuable, they weren't irreplaceable in the grand scheme of things. This may be management's way of gently suggesting to the pair that they should sign extensions that are forthcoming, rather than trying to play hardball.

Notsomuch Lisa, at least imo. More like get Wright signed, then look to extend next year's f.a. (in this case Wilfork). More leverage for the team during negotiations.

I think the most important question to ask now is, who leaked contract info to the cryptkeeper?

I like it. Strong, versatile player coming off the bench, glad he's back.

Terms of the deal (caveat: according to ESPN, who has been more wrong than wright lately):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3979998
The Broncos and Cardinals were among the teams trying to sign him, but on Saturday the 27-year-old Wright decided to stay with the coach who groomed him. Wright, according to a source, agreed to a four-year, $7.5 million deal to re-sign with Bill Belichick and the Patriots, but the deal has plenty of perks.

There are $10 million of potential playing time escalators in the four-year deal, the source said. Considering he was a defensive lineman who played 44 percent of the snaps, Wright has a good chance to cash in on those playing time escalators and incentives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually a little surprised they got him re-signed. I thought for sure some 4-3 team like the Cards would see more value in him playing DT. Eh, the Pats have their backup NT now.

Time to get Wilfork extended. BTW: With all the money the Pats brass has spent, don't rule out someone like Green or Faulk being asked to take a big paycut or get the axe.

He's alright (Wright is alright), but not great. He however, is a guy that helps you win, but can't take the game over like some guys (Wilfork, Seymour, sometimes Warren). I'd say he's kind of like Heath Evans or Hochstein...a guy you want on the team, because he can fill in, in a versatile way. There will be some dropoff with him in their, but he's not going to embarass you very often. He's a good player.

I'm glad to see the Pats are able to re-sign some of their free agents. But it's funny, some of the guys they lost were actually pretty valuable...Paxon, Izzo, and Gaffney. Interesting situation. They can't keep everyone. I wonder if Paxon/Izzo/Gaffney, when taken together, were as valuable as one Assante Samuel. But even if they were, the Pats are signing some decent free-agents this year. Too bad Victor Hobson and Tank Williams got hurt...I had some expectations for them.

Mike Wright is more than 'just another guy'.

Back