Rest In Peace Peter Tork of The Monkees

John Locke

Bringing Light and Justice to the World
Reaction score
My mom took me to my first concert at the Cape Cod Melody Tent and it was the Monkees. They were awesome.

A huge Rest In Peace to Peter Tork.

My mom took me to my first concert at the Cape Cod Melody Tent and it was the Monkees. They were awesome.

A huge Rest In Peace to Peter Tork.

Damn, a piece of my childhood is gone. That leaves Dolenz and Nesmith as the remaining survivors.

Damn, how sad. I'm 42 and by all rights should barely know who the Monkees were but I was lucky enough to have spent several summers watching their show in syndication. I was able to see their 30th Anniversary without Mike way back when but regrettably never made it to any of their recent shows.

I wanted to dislike the Monkees, because they were fake etc., but some of their recordings were really great and they were always sort of a guilty pleasure.

In fact, I saw Davy Jones do a free concert at Disney World a few years back, performing mostly Monkees tunes, and that was a surprisingly great show. I thought he was one of the most polished all-around showmen I'd ever seen and I've seen quite a few good ones, but Peter was my favorite Monkee back in the day because he was an actual musician and sort of an underdog character.

RIP.

I was in a cover band for a few years, and we always did 'I'm a Believer' and 'I'm Not Your Stepping Stone'. They always went over good-it perked up the whole place. I've got to say...77 isn't what i would call young. I fear in the next few years, most of my old musical idols will pass. The McCartneys, the Ringos, the Jaggers, etc...

As a kid, I thought the Monkees were cool. Bubblegum music that never grows old

RIP Peter Tork. Two down, two to go. My childhood is slip slidin' away. Sigh. The Monkees, Dark Shadows, Batman, Lost in Space, I saw all of these shows as first runs before they were in syndication. Makes me sad. I have a photo of myself in my four year old birthday get up in front of an original Monkees poster, lol. Used the play "their" music all the time as a kid.

I used to watch a bunch of great stuff. Perry Mason. Gunsmoke. Bonanza (which started before my time but ended when I was 9). Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Superman. Those were all somewhat before my time, too, but I loved them all. I used to watch Superman mostly to see Jimmy Olsen get his ass kicked. I mean, how many times did he get thrown into a wall and have his camera trashed? Hahaha. RIP Jack Larson as well. Real life crime, the death of George Reeves is kind of freaky.

I think of the four, Tork may have been the best pure musician. Nesmith wrote a couple of popular songs for other acts, but Tork was reportedly the better guitarist between the two of them.

For a "fake" band, though, they had a decent amount of talent, and put on a good live show. I saw them once at the Del Mar fairgrounds in the 90s, and they were legit.

RIP, Peter.

Maybe Paul, Ringo, Mickey, and Mike should get together and form the "Montles" or the "Beatkees?"

No problem. We all understand you're a Jete fan. :coffee:

Cheers
If you're gonna make a limp-wristed attempt to insult my intelligence - such as it is - please do spell Jets right. I know it's a typo, but hahahaha. Cheers back.

If you're gonna make a limp-wristed attempt to insult my intelligence - such as it is - please do spell Jets right. I know it's a typo, but hahahaha. Cheers back.

It's actually not a typo. One of yer former players spelled it out like while introducing a draft pick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JHBOJWFHLfg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:coffee:

Unpopular opinion...But I'm ok with his passing. Of course, I have a personal problem with Tork. My college girlfriend met him at a convention and proceeded to cheat on me with him... numerous times....so yeah...I kinda hated the guy's guts.

Unpopular opinion...But I'm ok with his passing. Of course, I have a personal problem with Tork. My college girlfriend met him at a convention and proceeded to cheat on me with him... numerous times....so yeah...I kinda hated the guy's guts.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

BostonTim

Back