Reviewing the Patriots-Cardinals Chandler Jones trade at the season?s quarter mark

I don't get the Ninck hate. Sure he has lost a step but he has been a solid player for us with many big plays over the years. Guy always seems to have a nose for the ball at the big moment. I am sure our defense will be psyched to have him out there.

Jones is going to get a huge payday next year and someone is going to blow their salary cap to hell in the process. Hopefully someone in our division.

Kind of a cherry picked article.

Would you trade a starting caliber player for draft picks?
What if that pick at #78 was Tavon Wilson instead of Thuney?

I think the trade was more about money than anything. Especially with other big contracts looming.

Also shows that there is the related gamble. Was this thought of as average draft., good draft?? we know they have had misses on draft day.

Dense much? We traded a guy on the last year of his contract, who is about to be overpaid by anyone standards. Or Bills standards which is all that matters. Thuney has been a top 5 rookie in the entire league. Mitchell looks like a solid number 2 WR who can provide versatility at a position we demand it.

We picked Thuney and Mitchell. Not Wilson.

Is Cooper a throw in or are they trying to upgrade Mason? Supposedly Cooper is to be available soon (believe that when I see it).

Patriots had Cooper graded as their best player in his class.

Oh. That's what that was. They weren't trying...:coffee:

No they were more focused on contain and setting the edge.

Couldn't resist.

Shitpost. Couldn't resist.

While Ninkovich is a very good player, I don't remember him ever having a 10 sack season. When was it?

He had 8 each in '12, '13 and '14. That's his best years. No 10 anywhere.

Cheers

The market will eventually determine their worth. My guess is the Jones will be making more than both of them combined, which is why I said, strictly from a cap perspective, it does make some sense.

all player transactions must include cap impact otherwise we are talking fantasy football not nfl.

Oh. That's what that was. They weren't trying...:coffee:

Couldn't resist.

Rest of my rant never made it in.

Thuney is playing great and a top 5 rookie. Tough and smart. Compact technique that alluded most of the line the last few years. Hes patient and always moving his feet on passing pro. Hips sink and explode in the run game. He might be playing the best out of line men in his class so far.

Mitchell is also smart, great character and versatile. Something we demand from that position. Playing hurt from jump also.

Both will cost considerably less than Jones, even now.

Jones is a better player than Vernon and will command more. The Patriots don't over pay for anyone. One of staples this franchise is known for and one of the reasons we've been SB contenders for 16 ****in years.

And yes we were in contain and holding the edge. Not going all out rush.

Shitpost :coffee:

Rest of my rant never made it in.

Thuney is playing great and a top 5 rookie. Tough and smart. Compact technique that alluded most of the line the last few years. Hes patient and always moving his feet on passing pro. Hips sink and explode in the run game. He might be playing the best out of line men in his class so far.

Mitchell is also smart, great character and versatile. Something we demand from that position. Playing hurt from jump also.

Both will cost considerably less than Jones, even now.

Jones is a better player than Vernon and will command more. The Patriots don't over pay for anyone. One of staples this franchise is known for and one of the reasons we've been SB contenders for 16 ****in years.

And yes we were in contain and holding the edge. Not going all out rush.

Shitpost :coffee:

Thanks for helping me out with the nonbelievers.
BB won this trade now much less after Jones gets paid.

They left something out in the OP article.

They saved money on the cap trading Jones.

From MMQB.

For today, the move stinks. A complete defensive end, Chandler Jones, who led the Patriots with 30 sacks over the past three years, was shipped to Arizona for a crushing disappointment of a first-round guard, Jonathan Cooper, and the Cardinals’ second-round pick in the April draft, the 61st pick overall. In the short term, this a huge win for Arizona, which is a Super Bowl contender with one major missing piece—a well-rounded defensive end who offensive coordinators must game-plan around. That’s Jones.

Six hours after the trade, defensive end Chris Long agreed to a one-year contract worth approximately $3 million for the Patriots.

Let’s understand why the Patriots just did what they did Tuesday. I have an equation for you. The math is fairly easy.

Jones was due $7.8 million in salary this year in New England (also his cap number), his walk year. It’s very likely he would have commanded a contract averaging $15 million or more in 2017 and beyond.

So that’s $7.8 million the Patriots got rid of Tuesday.

Cooper’s cap number is $2.39 million this year. Long’s deal is for approximately $3 million (also his cap number). The 61st player in the draft this year will have an approximate cap value of $710,000 this year. Cooper, Long and the No. 61 pick, together, equal $6.1 million in 2016 value.

That means the Patriots traded $7.8 million (with little future beyond 2016, because the Patriots likely would not pay Jones his market value for 2017 and beyond) for $6.1 million … and whatever that net gain of $1.7 million could be used for on a cap-strapped team.

So the full value of the trade is Thuney, Mitchell, Cooper and $5.41M in cap space.

The MMQB article cites Long and an additional $1.7M in cap space as being what that $5.41M represents.

However, there's another person to consider.

Bennett's cap hit this year is $5.185M, so you could remove Long and put Bennett at $0 on the cap as we got for trading Jones.

So even if you go with the MMQB list, I think Thuney, Mitchell, and Long for Jones is a pretty good deal.

If instead you say it allowed us to afford Bennett, it's even a better deal.

Thanks for helping me out with the nonbelievers.
BB won this trade now much less after Jones gets paid.

Could imagine handing him 100 million?

Look I love Jones as a player and would gladly take him right back ... for the right price.

One of the reasons I love Bill is his uniqueness. Stubbornness. Conviction.

We're known to be different and I love that. No were not handing out 100 million for a very good player. You have to be great, game changing if you want that. Jones, so far, isn't that guy. hes not a twitchy, bouncy freak like Miller. Hes a workhorse. And again there's nothing wrong with that.

This move is all about the future.

I thought we got a nice pick and of course Bill parlays that into 2, so far really nice rookies. It's tough because we're kinda set at rec target's with 11, Amendola, Hogan, Bennett Gronk (seriously wth is going on) etc. But the kid has showed a lot imo. And will deliver when called upon.

There's not 2-3 rookie linemen playing better than Thuney. The kid looks legit. His movements look professional. Hands, hips and feet all work together and nicely balanced. You don't see that anymore, especially out of college.

We really need to pay Scarnecchia and make sure he stays for the remainder of Bill's coaching tenure here. Hes too important.

They left something out in the OP article.

They saved money on the cap trading Jones.

From MMQB.

So the full value of the trade is Thuney, Mitchell, Cooper and $5.41M in cap space.

The MMQB article cites Long and an additional $1.7M in cap space as being what that $5.41M represents.

However, there's another person to consider.

Bennett's cap hit this year is $5.185M, so you could remove Long and put Bennett at $0 on the cap as we got for trading Jones.

So even if you go with the MMQB list, I think Thuney, Mitchell, and Long for Jones is a pretty good deal.

If instead you say it allowed us to afford Bennett, it's even a better deal.

Bennett has been a top tier player for us each week. The guy is motivated and huge.

I haven't been this excited about our offense in some time. A lot hinges on Gronk being healthy but I think we can put up 30+ w/out him, with Brady.

Not much room for injury after him though.

Could imagine handing him 100 million?

Look I love Jones as a player and would gladly take him right back ... for the right price.

One of the reasons I love Bill is his uniqueness. Stubbornness. Conviction.

We're known to be different and I love that. No were not handing out 100 million for a very good player. You have to be great, game changing if you want that. Jones, so far, isn't that guy. hes not a twitchy, bouncy freak like Miller. Hes a workhorse. And again there's nothing wrong with that.

This move is all about the future.

I thought we got a nice pick and of course Bill parlays that into 2, so far really nice rookies. It's tough because we're kinda set at rec target's with 11, Amendola, Hogan, Bennett Gronk (seriously wth is going on) etc. But the kid has showed a lot imo. And will deliver when called upon.

There's not 2-3 rookie linemen playing better than Thuney. The kid looks legit. His movements look professional. Hands, hips and feet all work together and nicely balanced. You don't see that anymore, especially out of college.

We really need to pay Scarnecchia and make sure he stays for the remainder of Bill's coaching tenure here. Hes too important.

1 yr of Chandler Jones for $7.8M

vs

4 yrs of Thuney for $0.8M &
4 yrs of Mitchell for $0.7M &
the cap space to sign either DE Chris Long with extra left over or TE Marty Bennett (take your pick, I'm good however you choose to view it.)

Back