Revis Will Be Released

Not sure.

My thought was to try and make it a year to year deal for both he and the team.
By making his annual bonus due each year on Day 1 of FA he's either guaranteed of remaining with the Pats, or being released when teams are flush with cash and ready to spend.

He doesn't get the multi year bonus all up front which eliminates future cap hits for NE should they decide to walk away.

Seems like a win-win for both sides, though I'm sure Revis would want that mega bonus up front to give him the leverage he needs to hold out.

Ah, OK.

The contract he had in Tampa was $13M salary and $3M in two bonuses of $1.5 each.

Nothing was guaranteed.

So basically he was locked in at $16M a year and Tampa would absorb zero cap hit should he be cut in the off season.

I thought your suggestion was a way to reduce the potential cap hit more than the existing Tampa contract.

Teams have known Revis would be cut today since the Combine so all those reports of a trade were bogus rumors. Teams have also had all that time to prepare and talk behind closed doors. Whatever Revis does is likely already agreed to. This should move fast unless a last minute bidding war breaks out. I must say I do feel some comfort from hearing from several sources the last 12 hours that Revis WANTS to come to NE.

By "talk behind closed doors" do you mean talk to Revis or his agent?

If yes, is that allowed?

Can you talk to a player still under contract, during the "legal tampering time", who's not scheduled to be a free agent?

If yes, is that allowed?

Can you talk to a player still under contract, during the "legal tampering time", who's not scheduled to be a free agent?

It seems likely that teams who were legit trade partners may have had permission to talk to him to try to get a deal done. How TB would prevent said teams from making an under the table deal for when he's cut, I don't know, except that maybe they had no choice in the matter - let Revis talk terms and maybe have a trade, or don't and definitely have no trade.

It seems likely that teams who were legit trade partners may have had permission to talk to him to try to get a deal done. How TB would prevent said teams from making an under the table deal for when he's cut, I don't know, except that maybe they had no choice in the matter - let Revis talk terms and maybe have a trade, or don't and definitely have no trade.

Good point, I hadn't considered that the team can give permission.

If yes, is that allowed?

Huh? Why the 3rd degree? This is way off base. During the legal tampering period the Pats can talk to the agent of FAs only. But at any time any 3rd party can talk to any other 3rd party and it's perfectly legal. Is that difficult to understand?

Huh? Why the 3rd degree? This is way off base. During the legal tampering period the Pats can talk to the agent of FAs only. But at any time any 3rd party can talk to any other 3rd party and it's perfectly legal. Is that difficult to understand?

Holy schmitt, chevss. I think you should take a small break.

No one here is out to make you a villain. We all appreciate your posts and hard work, even if sometimes opinions differ.

I write this with the utmost respect and have no intention of causing any controversy.

Holy schmitt, chevss. I think you should take a small break.

No one here is out to make you a villain. We all appreciate your posts and hard work, even if sometimes opinions differ.

I write this with the utmost respect and have no intention of causing any controversy.

Yeah, you're probably right. Sometimes the naivete of people makes my blood boil.

If yes, is that allowed?

There are two ways:
1) with permission of the team
2) as long as you don't get caught

:coffee:

Sorry you took it that,it wasn't my intent.

It was a simple question to try and understand your meaning and how that fit under the rules.

Sorry you took it that,it wasn't my intent.

It was a simple question to try and understand your meaning and how that fit under the rules.

I over reacted. I owe you an apology. I've been on edge but that's no excuse. Sorry, man.

Back