RIP Brooks Robinson

I was a huge Red Sox fan during the Yaz, Tony C, Jim Lonborg days.

Back then, the standard of excellence in the American League was the Orioles, with Frank Robinson, Curt Flood, and their peerless pitching staff (Jim Palmer, Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar and Jim Perry).

I always thought the linchpin of those teams was Brooks Robinson - it was a pleasure to watch him play and he never was someone anyone would want to boo or root against.

it was a pleasure to watch him play and he never was someone anyone would want to boo or root against.
This. It was a privilage to have watched him. Loved to see him at work. And as Tip says, you never even thought of booing him (Though when he made one of his signature plays against us, I would smile and say damn.

Cheers

The GOAT third baseman.

RIP, Mr. Robinson

aren't you from this area?

Myself? Yes, many years ago, grew up in north central Mass. Went to Fenway quite a few times, matter of fact, saw Brooks play there one time, Jim Palmer was the O's pitcher.

Myself? Yes, many years ago, grew up in north central Mass. Went to Fenway quite a few times, matter of fact, saw Brooks play there one time, Jim Palmer was the O's pitcher.
no...I meant Baltimore. I thought you were a Ravens fan, might be confusing you with another poster if I am. Apologies

Orange! Where the skies are full of crazy people jumping from perfectly good planes. :)

Cheers
Ah, you are so correct BT, I saw it for myself many times...!

The primary jump plane, the big "Norseman", was a local legend, you could hear it for miles around.

We did make the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1962 for the World Championships that summer, it was our "15 minutes of fame" moment.

Oh yeah? I grew up in Oakham. Very few people even on our boarder had even heard of it !
Oakham - oh yes, very nice town, we still have relatives there, they live out on a country road. I haven't been there for probably 10 years or so now.

Back