RIP Jeff Beck

patswin

WTF
Political Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Well this just sucks.

Well this just sucks.

No one has a body that goes on forever.

But the music that Jeff created will endure.

One of the triumvirate spawned by the Yardbirds. Clapton, Page,Beck.
The album Blow by Blow is cited by many players as hugely influential.
I could never seem to get into him but recognize the talent and importance.
RIP to one of the best.

One of the triumvirate spawned by the Yardbirds. Clapton, Page,Beck.
The album Blow by Blow is cited by many players as hugely influential.
I could never seem to get into him but recognize the talent and importance.
RIP to one of the best.

Here's a song that all Jeff Beck fans will be playing today - maybe you will like it.

And this, is the pièce de résistance. If you watch the documentary cited above, this is included. His bass player points out that this particular piece of music was written specifically for the human voice and that it's hard to believe that someone can get a guitar to mimic that. Also, they cut to Clapton back stage, who was to perform next, and the look on his face is "holy excrement, how the frack am I gonna top that!"

It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

For those with access, here's the NYT obituary:

And here's the one from Rolling Stone magazine:

"When I was 16 years old, The Spiders, who became the original Alice Cooper band, opened for the Yardbirds. That night I experienced the greatest guitar player I had ever heard. Half a century later Jeff Beck is still the greatest guitarist, PERIOD - The greatest of all time. He was a friend, and there will NEVER be another Jeff Beck. Ever. "

Alice Cooper

FB_IMG_1673556957357.jpg

When I was a kid there was a dive nightclub in Lowell MA called Mr Cs, before that it was the Commodore Ballroom in the 40's.
I went there many times in my youth, 50 cent Vodka night was an event not to be missed.

An older friend today tells me he saw Beck and the Yardbirds play there in 1967ish... but it might have been a little earlier.
If I was 10-15 years older I might have caught that one.

And here is the full 1:40:22 video of Jeff Beck @ Ronnie Scott's that Rick took samples from.

Back