Roger does a sneaky U Turn (Personal Conduct Policy)

Roberto71

Reaction score
On the NFLPA. Good, that should make the union go all out on Goodell. What a sneaky creep he really is.

Negotiations to remove NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as the final voice on all player appeals under the personal conduct policy took a "massive step backwards," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said in an email to the union's executive committee.

ESPN.com has obtained a copy of the email, which reads in part:

"When I briefed you on the status of negations with the NFL regarding the Personal Conduct Policy (the PCP) at our annual meetings, I shared with you the understanding I had with Roger as to our progress and positions. However, after our annual meetings had concluded, the NFL officially communicated a dramatic change of course. ... In short, unfortunately, it's a massive step backwards from where negotiations stood several weeks ago."

Smith said negotiations regarding the PCP have centered on three things: neutral arbitration for appeals of discipline; the use of the Commissioner Exempt List; and delegation of commissioner disciplinary authority. Smith stated that the union has always negotiated with the mindset that the issues are intertwined and regard them as an "inclusive package".

The league apparently feels otherwise.

"The NFL's latest proposal reflects a new position of the NFL that neutral arbitration is NOT a part of this negotiation," Smith wrote. "Moreover, their most recent proposal takes several steps backwards on the issues we discussed as recently as a few weeks ago."

Smith outlined them as follows, writing:

"a) During negotiations back in October, we gave tentative approval to an NFL proposal that included the idea of the use three former judges as a jointly selected arbitration panel and agreed with their demand that those individuals have "some background in football". However, in their most recent proposal, that idea is gone, and they want players to only agree on the narrow issues to be presented to an arbitrator, and

"b) Regarding the Commissioner Exempt List, they want to have the ability to ask a player to go on the Commissioner Exempt List on a voluntary basis with no limitations, not based on allegations of violent crimes. This is entirely too broad, and we have never embraced that idea."

Smith went on to say: "The final decision on the NFL's recent proposal (which is dated March 21) will be made by our Board and Executive Committee, but given the number of outstanding issues it's clear that the NFL once again wants to dictate and narrowly limit the scope of these collective bargaining negotiations. "Additionally, it is very important to know that the NFL's current proposal does little to address the NFL's legal and ethical failings regarding the PCP that have occurred during the past year."

NFL officials could not be reached immediately for comment.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15053643/talks-nfl-nflpa-reduction-roger-goodell-role-break-down

If the NFLPA has any backbone, and I don't think they do, there will be no NFL season after the current CBA expires until a clear and fair discipline system is written into the CBA.

If the NFLPA has any backbone, and I don't think they do, there will be no NFL season after the current CBA expires until a clear and fair discipline system is written into the CBA.

Why wait? Strike now.

Why wait? Strike now.

No, not prior to a potential Pats championship year. :thwak:

But the reality is that the NFLPA would end up on the wrong end of the legal system with heavy fines and penalties. The courts do not look kindly on wildcat strikes.

I note that Richard Sherman was voted onto the NFLPA committee. That's a good thing, he was publically supportive of Tom over DG and will no doubt be vocal in the players feelings about this whole disciplinary issue. He will be very good for the NFLPA and a thorn in the owners sides I bet.

A lot of folks don't like Sherman.

I find him particularly intelligent and perfectly suited for a role in the Players Association. He will call bullshit bullshit.

He's razor sharp. He can be a jerk on the field at times, but he's so competitive. Off the field he is a highly intelligent person and a very decent guy and with him there, the next CBA will be explosive.

I note that Richard Sherman was voted onto the NFLPA committee. That's a good thing, he was publically supportive of Tom over DG and will no doubt be vocal in the players feelings about this whole disciplinary issue. He will be very good for the NFLPA and a thorn in the owners sides I bet.

This is a very good thing for the players.

A lot of folks don't like Sherman.

I find him particularly intelligent and perfectly suited for a role in the Players Association. He will call bullshit bullshit.

I agree. Dude is sharp, outspoken, and completely unafraid to point out BS.

This gesture by Sherman immortalized that Super Bowl and what Brady had done to the LoB. I have been a fan of his ever since.

Richard Sherman's on the NFLPA committee? Perfect place for a loudmouthed know-it-all. :)

Here's the #1 thing players/the NFLPA MUST do, and that is make sure the players don't all live up to their paychecks like a bunch of derps so they CAN survive a work stoppage.
Their own collective willpower/financial discipline is their biggest limitation. Perhaps De Smith can do one useful thing and set up some kind of NFLPA escrow account or something for them to deposit money in as a strike fund.

Back