So who is out?

patsfanroach

Reaction score
With a high second rounder used at DT who is the odd man out? Big Sey? Vince? Is this all part of something bigger? I LOVE draft day!

This is insurance in case they can't sign Wilfork to a long-term contract (which they probably can't). I was predicting that they would trade up to get the other guy from BC but drafting this guy is basically the same idea (I know nothing about college football). I figured nose tackle was one of their biggest needs going into the draft.

Yeah, no reason to let Wilfork go, this is just insurance and value and some leverage for negotiations.

I think he is a vast improvement over Mike Wright, who will likely be bumped to the outside.

Ever since Albert Haynesworth signed for a gazillion dollars, there is a very real chance that some team will offer Wilfork 3/4 of a gazillion. The Patriots have always invested heavily in their defensive line.

The only thing that confuses me is that they haven't drafted any linebackers yet.

Ever since Albert Haynesworth signed for a gazillion dollars, there is a very real chance that some team will offer Wilfork 3/4 of a gazillion. The Patriots have always invested heavily in their defensive line.

The only thing that confuses me is that they haven't drafted any linebackers yet.

Sunday...

Sunday...

Possibly. Bear in mind that Adalius Thomas and Shawn Crable should both have recovered from injury. It would appear (in hindsight, it has to be said) that they are happy with these two as edge rushers. Er, I guess. :shrug:

I am optimistic that Wilfork will return and I still have thought NE needed to grab a DT. It is a very demanding position and not having a solid backup has hurt NE at times. Being able to gie Wilfork a few more breathers, as well as having higher quality performance when he is not out there is going to go a long way towards shoring up the defense. Frankly, if I am Wilfork NE is more attractive now as his career expectancy has now extended a year or two.

Don't discount the packages NE can use with two fatties as well. I still think that if Brace proves viable he will see plenty of time on the field, possibly filling in for Warren and Seymour as well. BB loves to rotate lineman to keep them fresh over the course of the game and season.

I am optimistic that Wilfork will return and I still have thought NE needed to grab a DT. It is a very demanding position and not having a solid backup has hurt NE at times. Being able to gie Wilfork a few more breathers, as well as having higher quality performance when he is not out there is going to go a long way towards shoring up the defense. Frankly, if I am Wilfork NE is more attractive now as his career expectancy has now extended a year or two.

Do you think that having a good backup is going to be worth $30,000,000 in guaranteed money to Wilfork personally?

I think he's Wilfork's backup. We needed a backup nose

I agree Mike wright was good but now we have another big strong DT to play next to wilfork when we go to a 4-3 look . just to give Wilfork a little breather.

I'm betting they drafted that guy to replace seymour

What does one have to do with the other? Barring a catastrophic injury, Vince is getting it either way.

So, you think the Patriots are going to offer Vince Wilfork a contract comparable to what Albert Haynesworth got from the Redskins? Haynesworth got $41M guaranteed. I figure Wilfork has got to expect at least 3/4 of that. I don't really see how the Patriots can afford this.

So, you think the Patriots are going to offer Vince Wilfork a contract comparable to what Albert Haynesworth got from the Redskins? Haynesworth got $41M guaranteed. I figure Wilfork has got to expect at least 3/4 of that. I don't really see how the Patriots can afford this.

Next year they can afford anything they want. A contract similar to Seymour's extension would give Vince the guarantees without hurting NE's cap too much and have it count mostly on next year's books. If they want to do it, they should be able to. Either that or a new contract could be signed next year or even a (likely) franchise tag.

Despite all the DT's drafted, I am quite optimistic that Vince is returning.

Back