Solar

To me, yes it does.

The biggest negative seems to be the lease and the legal entanglements that may present.

From what I understand, once you sign on the dotted line you are not necessarily still calling the shots as regards your own home. You've got an "improvement" that may actually be viewed as an encumberance from any potential buyers and a lessor that may or may not have a say in any transaction that involves that home, including re-fi.

I have heard this is the least understood part of this still-new business. You can own that home outright and when you allow a leased solar deal you really don't fully own it.

I find the whole thing to be very sketchy and I refuse to do this. I'd recommend people consult with a qualified attorney before signing anything.

Based on the amount of boiler-room calls I'm getting on a weekly basis I'd say the government has fvcked this thing up royally and there is a rush to get the tax credits any way they can be gotten.

My understanding is that the home owner will be responsible for extra cost associated with the removal and reinstallation of the panels if there's an issue with the roof. And considering most roofs need to be reshingled every 20-30 years, the age of the roof at time of installation is important.

For me, it's not worth the money. Even at peak usage, My bill may be a bot above $100. My bill last month was $75. My house is already very energy efficient.

My understanding is that the home owner will be responsible for extra cost associated with the removal and reinstallation of the panels if there's an issue with the roof. And considering most roofs need to be reshingled every 20-30 years, the age of the roof at time of installation is important.

For me, it's not worth the money. Even at peak usage, My bill may be a bot above $100. My bill last month was $75. My house is already very energy efficient.

I am so frustrated with the solicitation calls that I will never do business with any company that saturation bombs the market.

My bill is slightly higher than your on average. Between the limited savings, complications with the roof/damage from installation, tall trees on my property, the many complaints people have had with these companies and the questionable legal situation I'm not going to do this any time soon.

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I've had it with this strong-arm marketing stuff. Every one of them pegs my bullshit meter at 11.

I am so frustrated with the solicitation calls that I will never do business with any company that saturation bombs the market.

My bill is slightly higher than your on average. Between the limited savings, complications with the roof/damage from installation, tall trees on my property, the many complaints people have had with these companies and the questionable legal situation I'm not going to do this any time soon.

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I've had it with this strong-arm marketing stuff. Every one of them pegs my bullshit meter at 11.
Simple solution, I told them I am an engineer, that I refuse to cut any of Gods creations on my property to allow the sun to heat my house only for them to make money off them.

but the truth is my roof is not continuously flat enough to put on the front yard because of a roof line change and the back is broken up by sky light to make it really worth it. A roofer told me it adds about 500 in labor to remove and remount them to a roof but I find that a low number and think it would be my cost, where others would pay triple it that do not know him.

Do NOT give up your rights to your SRECS (solar renewable energy credits)! If it sounds too good to be true, it is. These companies control your SRECS, which are a commodity. For every megawatt of electricity you produce you earn a SREC. In MA, these trade for around $360 (last time I checked.) You also save that megawatt off your electricity bill ($120 @ 12 cents/KW.) Find a way to buy the system outright. There is a 15% tax credit in MA and a 30% federal tax credit and possibly a utility rebate. Go to dsire.org for incentives, grants and rebates for your area.

Also, though solar panels increase the value of your home, if the SRECs are controlled by a third party, your house will lose value.
I think it is important to repost this, wise man this cat.

040625solar_parking_lot.jpg

this is the best use of these panels, I figure they will protect you in rain and at the same time generate electricity for the grid. We have also seen a rise in the number of "panel parks" people are asking o have designed. Money must be pretty good if they are skipping out of commercial space and putting in a field of panels.

Old landfills are often converted and that is perfect place for them.

040625solar_parking_lot.jpg

this is the best use of these panels, I figure they will protect you in rain and at the same time generate electricity for the grid. We have also seen a rise in the number of "panel parks" people are asking o have designed. Money must be pretty good if they are skipping out of commercial space and putting in a field of panels.

Old landfills are often converted and that is perfect place for them.

There are now solar farms along the Mass Pike and another one next to 495 in Southboro.

As far as SREC's go, the value will vary and depend on location and the actual demand for solar power. SREC's are bought by the power companies through quarterly auctions. The MA market has been fairly steady, but I read that the prices will begin to drop in 2017.

There are now solar farms along the Mass Pike and another one next to 495 in Southboro.

As far as SREC's go, the value will vary and depend on location and the actual demand for solar power. SREC's are bought by the power companies through quarterly auctions. The MA market has been fairly steady, but I read that the prices will begin to drop in 2017.
they are popping up everywhere. I have seen Hay fields converted over recently, no work income for the farmer.

I have been waiting for Kraft to put these parking panels in the "Mall Designated" parking areas.

My roof is 2 years old. I have no plans to move in the next 30 years. I was not interested/able to drop the 20K+ to buy the system outright. I was not solicited by Sungevity. My sister-in-law is using them and she is quite happy (as are we).

I'll let you know when I get my June bill from my local provider.

My roof is 2 years old. I have no plans to move in the next 30 years. I was not interested/able to drop the 20K+ to buy the system outright. I was not solicited by Sungevity. My sister-in-law is using them and she is quite happy (as are we).

I'll let you know when I get my June bill from my local provider.
I know many who are happy, few who are not and most people are like you, staying in the house and not moving.

I was only solicited after my sister signed up for something free and included my number. The calls did stop after I told them to open up google and look at the trees and they agreed not worth it for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I found talking reasonably with them and asking to be removed from the list worked wonders - not saying others didn't but my brother busted their nuts and they called him back daily.

good thing Google was old, most of those trees are down as of last month.

I know many who are happy, few who are not and most people are like you, staying in the house and not moving.

I was only solicited after my sister signed up for something free and included my number. The calls did stop after I told them to open up google and look at the trees and they agreed not worth it for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I found talking reasonably with them and asking to be removed from the list worked wonders - not saying others didn't but my brother busted their nuts and they called him back daily.

good thing Google was old, most of those trees are down as of last month.
I find that caller ID works wonders as well. If I don't recognize the number, it's going to the answering machine, (unless I'm in a playful mood).

Back