Solar

I just Googled it and got conflicting info. What about snow on the panels? We have to rake and shovel our roof during a harsh season like this. Do you have to do the same with the panels?

I just Googled it and got conflicting info. What about snow on the panels? We have to rake and shovel our roof during a harsh season like this. Do you have to do the same with the panels?

The house down the street got panels put on this past fall. It looks like they just cleaned the top of the panels. I imagine they aren't generating much energy with the snow on it but after today it should be good.

Only if you want them to work.

An inch or two of snow blocks all light.

The house down the street got panels put on this past fall. It looks like they just cleaned the top of the panels. I imagine they aren't generating much energy with the snow on it but after today it should be good.

Only if you want them to work.

An inch or two of snow blocks all light.

:facepalm:

I knew they wouldn't work and hastily posted my question. I was wondering if special equipment would be needed to remove the snow, not knowing if the panels were fragile. Apparently the tempered glass is quite strong, so never mind.

.248?? We are getting .129. You're in MA right?

I'm in Southwestern CT (considered the NY Metro area - yuck) Not only can't I get NESN with Xfiniti, I'm paying twice what people in MA are paying for electricity.

:BS:

I'm in Southwestern CT (considered the NY Metro area - yuck) Not only can't I get NESN with Xfiniti, I'm paying twice what people in MA are paying for electricity.

:BS:

Ahhhh dear god! I won't complain anymore! Now I see why a few people that I know who live there want out.

:facepalm:

I knew they wouldn't work and hastily posted my question. I was wondering if special equipment would be needed to remove the snow, not knowing if the panels were fragile. Apparently the tempered glass is quite strong, so never mind.

This far north, you have to have the panels at an angle to maximize the efficiency. Basically you want them perpendicular to the average angle of the sunlight.

So if they are at an angle, normally the snow will slide off an it isn't an issue. This winter is another story.

Of course, the optimum angle is different in the Summer than the Winter simply due to how high the sun gets above the horizon.

So if possible, you should have the ability to adjust the angle, or pick which season you want the most power, and set the angle for that time.

OK - I misspoke. The rate we are getting is .168 for the first year.

Sales guy compared this rate to my total bill and calculated savings on that number. Looked pretty good but then I realized that I will still be paying for off peak kilowatt hours so a better comparison would have been to compare my peak hours and use those numbers.

It's still going to be a good deal but not nearly as good as he represented. I'll make sure and do laundry and dishes during the day.

Also, my roof has a 4 pitch (not very steep at all) I'm guessing that will factor in, as well.

Getting close to finalizing this deal with Solar City.

Spoke with a neighbor who says he is paying for only the energy he uses. The rest goes back to the grid and he gets a credit from the electricity provider. Not sure how Solar City makes any money in this scenario.

They have altered the plan with me and want to put 43 3' x 5' panels on the front and back of my house. I will conceivably produce upwards of 2,000 kw hours per month. If I pay them .158 per kw hour that works out to $316 per month or $3,792 per year. I spent about that much last year on electricty with my current provider. I will still have off peak charges from UI.

So I'm not sure if this even makes sense.

TBrown'sLady - did you ever get hooked up with Solar City?

^This.

Pretty much verbatim what we were told. It might be a lease but we aren't paying anything up front. The only money out of our pocket is the kilowatt per hour charge that starts at $.248 in year one and will grow by 2.9% per year for the next 20 years.

Again, three central air units and a pool filter pump that runs 7 hours a day. Every day. I can't imagine that we won't save the $1,000 per year that they estimated.

That is a lot of work/construction and ugliness for 1K/year ($83/mo) IMHO.

Add to the equation the "too good to be true" part and I would be VERY, VERY careful. Question: Why make you sign a 20 YEAR LEASE if you can walk away at any time? I really hope you have this nailed 100% but there are several red flags smuch as my question prior.

EDIT: Crap. I didn't notice that the thread was old.

Getting close to finalizing this deal with Solar City.

Spoke with a neighbor who says he is paying for only the energy he uses. The rest goes back to the grid and he gets a credit from the electricity provider. Not sure how Solar City makes any money in this scenario.

They have altered the plan with me and want to put 43 3' x 5' panels on the front and back of my house. I will conceivably produce upwards of 2,000 kw hours per month. If I pay them .158 per kw hour that works out to $316 per month or $3,792 per year. I spent about that much last year on electricty with my current provider. I will still have off peak charges from UI.

So I'm not sure if this even makes sense.

TBrown'sLady - did you ever get hooked up with Solar City?

That is a lot of work/construction and ugliness for 1K/year ($83/mo) IMHO.

Add to the equation the "too good to be true" part and I would be VERY, VERY careful. Question: Why make you sign a 20 YEAR LEASE if you can walk away at any time? I really hope you have this nailed 100% but there are several red flags smuch as my question prior.

EDIT: Crap. I didn't notice that the thread was old.

Doesn't matter if it's old, it's still very relevant since I assume many of us are constantly getting calls.

I'm not a fan of putting anything on my house that I don't own. And trying to maintain the roof would be a nightmare if it was required.

Solar companies make their money by taking all the tax credits, all the contracts with the power companies, lower cost due to bulk purchases and still charging you for power.

In the not too distant past, a homeowner could buy their own panels and make the investment back in 7 years. That was based on the higher tax credits at the time and the price of the buy backs from the utilities. Utilities have been required to produce their power from at least 10% renewable sources. To meet that, they would purchase quarterly contracts from home owners and pay them for the excess power generated. That's where you get the meters running backwards.

Today, the market is so flooded with solar generated power that the utilities are paying much smaller amounts for your power. As an individual home owner, the pay back os closer to 20 years now.

I'm curious if the price being charged per KwH includes all the taxes and fees. On my bill, I'm probably paying about .25/KwH. The basic fee is .09/KwH.

Don't really care about the aesthetics of the panels. If I saved $1,000 per year, I would still do it.

The panels can be transferred to the next owner or I can take them with me if I buy a new house. If I need a new roof, it would cost me $500 to remove and replace the system.

Would love to hear from anyone who currently is using Solar City.

Doesn't matter if it's old, it's still very relevant since I assume many of us are constantly getting calls.

I'm not a fan of putting anything on my house that I don't own. And trying to maintain the roof would be a nightmare if it was required.

Solar companies make their money by taking all the tax credits, all the contracts with the power companies, lower cost due to bulk purchases and still charging you for power.

In the not too distant past, a homeowner could buy their own panels and make the investment back in 7 years. That was based on the higher tax credits at the time and the price of the buy backs from the utilities. Utilities have been required to produce their power from at least 10% renewable sources. To meet that, they would purchase quarterly contracts from home owners and pay them for the excess power generated. That's where you get the meters running backwards.

Today, the market is so flooded with solar generated power that the utilities are paying much smaller amounts for your power. As an individual home owner, the pay back os closer to 20 years now.

I'm curious if the price being charged per KwH includes all the taxes and fees. On my bill, I'm probably paying about .25/KwH. The basic fee is .09/KwH.

I have never received a single call. Ever.

That said, the utility that serves up my power is a very good client of mine so.....

I receive at least one call a day and the caller ID reads TEXAS, FLORIDA, NEW YORK, etc. I no longer answer, but when I did, the caller always spoke with an Indian accent and at times was incredibly rude. It's obvious the solar companies are using telemarketers.

I have never received a single call. Ever.

That said, the utility that serves up my power is a very good client of mine so.....

It was a general statement. I get calls about once per week. There's a big push in this area to get people to sign up. It must be working because I see quite a few houses with panels on their roofs. I assume many other areas are similar.

My brother-in-law is a city wiring inspector who deals with the local utilities a lot. He was just telling me that much of the power generated by the panels never actually gets used because they're at a point where far more power is generated than the infrastructure can handle. Can't vouch for the veracity of the statement.

It was a general statement. I get calls about once per week. There's a big push in this area to get people to sign up. It must be working because I see quite a few houses with panels on their roofs. I assume many other areas are similar.

My brother-in-law is a city wiring inspector who deals with the local utilities a lot. He was just telling me that much of the power generated by the panels never actually gets used because they're at a point where far more power is generated than the infrastructure can handle. Can't vouch for the veracity of the statement.
yeah at least once a week plus mailings. I tell them if they want to cut down 6-8 oaks and shingle my roof prior to installation I will look into it. they usually lose interest at that time.

I receive at least one call a day and the caller ID reads TEXAS, FLORIDA, NEW YORK, etc. I no longer answer, but when I did, the caller always spoke with an Indian accent and at times was incredibly rude. It's obvious the solar companies are using telemarketers.
You even hung up on me!!!! I guess the heavy breathing freaked you out... Dam asthma...:sulk:

I dont really have astnma.

So I'm three months into a 20 year contract with Sungevity (solar company that leased me 34 solar panels for $100 per month.)

I have paid the $100 to Sungevity and only $17.50 to my local utility for the standard gov't and generation charges.

I have saved an average of $60 per month so far but I expect to see bigger savings during the summer when I run two (sometimes three) condensers for A/C and my pool filter 8 hours per day. I paid an average of $400 per month over the past three summers (June, July and August) and I can't wait to get Jun'es bill.

Sungevity also had an energy audit done on my house and they replaced every non CFC light bulb, sealed cracks around windows and doors and gave me a new pull down attic staircase. Didn't cost me a thing.

Wanted to bump this thread to update everyone.

So I'm three months into a 20 year contract with Sungevity (solar company that leased me 34 solar panels for $100 per month.)

I have paid the $100 to Sungevity and only $17.50 to my local utility for the standard gov't and generation charges.

I have saved an average of $60 per month so far but I expect to see bigger savings during the summer when I run two (sometimes three) condensers for A/C and my pool filter 8 hours per day. I paid an average of $400 per month over the past three summers (June, July and August) and I can't wait to get Jun'es bill.

Sungevity also had an energy audit done on my house and they replaced every non CFC light bulb, sealed cracks around windows and doors and gave me a new pull down attic staircase. Didn't cost me a thing.

Wanted to bump this thread to update everyone.

All depends on square footage, age of home, and the amount of time you plan on spending in the house. We looked into it before we built. We use oil, electricity, and gas and have a pool. Solar panels wouldn't save us a ton because we don't plan to spend enough time to reap the rewards, not that they don't save in the long run. A great investment in an older home absolutely, not so much in a newer built home. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in a home more there 20 years old no question and even a brand new home if the owner planned to spend more then 20 years.

~Dee~

Solar City guy left the house about two hours ago.

Offered no out of pocket cost to us. Increase of 2.9% per year for 20 years (my local utility has gone up 20% in the last three) Wants to put 19 3' x 5' panels on the front of my house (yuck)

I have three zoned central air in my house (Southwestern Connecticut) and a 33,000 gallon built in pool that requires the filter to run 7 hours per night to circulate. Oil heat subsidized by two wood burning stoves.

I potentially could save big in the summer by running the pool and A/C during the day when the sun is on the panels. Also, laundry and dishwasher during the day all year round. At night, I would only be watching TV or the computer while sucking kilowatts from the grid.

Does this sound too good to be true?

To me, yes it does.

The biggest negative seems to be the lease and the legal entanglements that may present.

From what I understand, once you sign on the dotted line you are not necessarily still calling the shots as regards your own home. You've got an "improvement" that may actually be viewed as an encumberance from any potential buyers and a lessor that may or may not have a say in any transaction that involves that home, including re-fi.

I have heard this is the least understood part of this still-new business. You can own that home outright and when you allow a leased solar deal you really don't fully own it.

I find the whole thing to be very sketchy and I refuse to do this. I'd recommend people consult with a qualified attorney before signing anything.

Based on the amount of boiler-room calls I'm getting on a weekly basis I'd say the government has fvcked this thing up royally and there is a rush to get the tax credits any way they can be gotten.

Back