Something to while away this week of the offseason. Until next week's installment.

Alice, it's great to see you back again.

I sincerely hope that everything is well in your life. We really miss you around here.

bideau said:
Alice, it's great to see you back again.

I sincerely hope that everything is well in your life. We really miss you around here.

My sister is doing extremely well. Thanks, Bideau. And life has taken on some very surprising, remarkable turns.

But I gotta say. I do miss Boston.

FallingAlice said:
Thanks for the link, FA. Some of those are pretty funny. So how are thing in Minneapolis? Are you back to the Planet for an extended stay, or just dropping by for a quick visit? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh yeah, back to the original topic. Here's one I found that I liked:
http://citypages.com/databank/27/1333/article14469.asp

While I was making love to my wife, she asked me about my fantasies. I shared with her that my fantasy was to watch her have lesbian sex with one of her hot friends. I came home a few days later to find my wife naked with her best friend! She announced that it was time for my fantasy to come true, and told me to sit down and enjoy it. After her friend left, she told me that since my fantasy came true, she was entitled to hers coming true. She then explained, for the first time, that her fantasy was for me to watch her getting f@(#ed by two guys! I objected, and she said that because she did my fantasy, I had to do her fantasy. She has now cut me off from all sex and announced that until I arrange for her fantasy, I am out of luck.

She is adamant that she is entitled to her fantasy being fulfilled because she fulfilled mine. I do not agree, because I never asked her to do what she did. What should I do?

Don't Want Wife F&(#ed By Strangers

ROFL
________
medical marijuana dispensaries

FallingAlice said:
My sister is doing extremely well. Thanks, Bideau. And life has taken on some very surprising, remarkable turns.

But I gotta say. I do miss Boston.

Hey, it's like Christmas! Alice is here! Just read through the gay thread and had to smile (despite the serious tone of conversation). Wonder if Fusion is around to throw in his .02?

Glad to hear that things are going well :cool:

Anyway, it's nice to see that you agree with Annihilus's sentiments when it comes to Boston VS Minneapolis.

Heya dchester --

I miss you guys. I lurk a little bit. Not much. This weekend may be a unique time for me to participate. I finally have some days off and I'm too tired to do anything super-interesting with them.

I'll stop by now and again during the season, but I don't know if I'll be able to be a regular contributor.

My sister is doing incredibly well. Frankly, I didn't think she'd last much past the new year. But with the grace of god, herculean efforts on the part of doctors and surgeons, and hundreds upon thousands of dollars at the expense of her insurance company and the other insured... she may well have quite a long time to live. Maybe 5-10 years now. She'll be on morphine the rest of her life, but she may have a remarkable bit of it left.

It's me who feels near death. Beyond the stress and strain of moving, I'm working for a large cultural institution in Minneapolis which just opened a new building. Walking into that scene has been absolutely grueling. Since November -- no time off. And we're now all playing catch-up on all the regular work and duties that have had to take a back seat for a while now.

That said, I've been having some remarkable experiences and have been given some amazing opportunities given that I didn't come here for a job.

But... Like I said... I do miss Boston. It's hard to be somewhere for 20+ years and not feel like that's home. I haven't discounted the possibility of returning some day. But you know how life is... it takes you where you're supposed to be. Sometimes that's not where you expect.

I hope all is well with all of you. I do check in from time to time, but not as much as I'd like.

Happy 4th to all of you!! With apologies to Rick Santorum fans, if anyone is bored, I highly recommend looking through the Savage Love archives. It could keep you entertained for hours.

(And I still suspect that you may be famous, dchester, and are just too humble to tell us who you are.)

Annihilus said:
Hey, it's like Christmas! Alice is here! Just read through the gay thread and had to smile (despite the serious tone of conversation). Wonder if Fusion is around to throw in his .02?

Glad to hear that things are going well :cool:

Anyway, it's nice to see that you agree with Annihilus's sentiments when it comes to Boston VS Minneapolis.

I miss the ocean way more than I thought I would. And the mountains. And the ability to drive up to Maine or Montreal. And there's a grittiness and diversity to Boston that isn't here.

This said, Anni, there's a lot of cool stuff happening around here, too. There's a lot to be said for this place. But it's conservative in a way that I forgot the Midwest can be.

And I still need to meet up with you and your Missus, Anni. I'll take the two of you for a drink at a very cool place.

FallingAlice said:
FA.......

thank you so very much for this eye-opening link.

for sometime now I have been very disappointed in the number of articles that our Planet's own Dan Pires pumps out per month even during football season.

now I see the reason why ~~ he's way too busy with this Savage Love column of his

Dan, you dawg you :thumb:

FallingAlice said:
I miss the ocean way more than I thought I would. And the mountains. And the ability to drive up to Maine or Montreal. And there's a grittiness and diversity to Boston that isn't here.

This said, Anni, there's a lot of cool stuff happening around here, too. There's a lot to be said for this place. But it's conservative in a way that I forgot the Midwest can be.

I'm right there with ya, Alice (and long time no see). As the wife and I are drawing ever closer to our departure from the Boston area, I keep thinking of the things we'll miss up here. Actually, we've turned it into a sort of game. When we think of something we'll miss, we try and pair it with something we'll gain back down South. Or if we think of a negative down there, we'll try and off set it with a negative we won't have to deal with up here.

The ones I have trouble with are skiing, and the beaches around the Cape. Sure, the Gulf Coast isn't too far away (especially considering I could stay with my brother who's in Hattiesburg which is only about 80 miles inland(close enough that Katrina smacked them pretty hard) but it's not quite the same. And there's nothing to compare with how much I love skiing, and just seeing the mountains around. I figure the closest skiing down there without having to plan a full trip with airfare and all is Gatlinburg, which looks to be about like the little ski area at Blue Hills. Not much.

It's funny, we've only been up here 6 years, which in the grand scheme of things ain't too long, but it's much harder leaving than I imagined.

FallingAlice said:

No doubt. Annihilus misses the mountains of MT the longer he is away from them. The terrain around here is just so.....mundane. Unless you want to drive up to the north shore.

And I still need to meet up with you and your Missus, Anni. I'll take the two of you for a drink at a very cool place.

Yeah, yeah.....cool stuff is ok, but Annihilus is kind of a boring old fart that would prefer to sit under the trees somewhere in the mountains or on an island somewhere rather than attend hip and happening events. It's official: he's old and boring. (Ms. Annihilus probably wishes that he knew some happening places to hang out).

As for your comment.....conservative is one word to describe it.... for decorum's sake, we'll leave it at that. ;)

If the 'very cool place' you mention serves Guiness, then that sounds good :thumb:

Annihilus said:

If the 'very cool place' you mention serves Guiness, then that sounds good :thumb:

Fabulous! We're on. I didn't know you spent loads of time in MT? You grew up in New England, right? How long were you in Montana?

And yes, "conservative" is being measured to be sure.

Moeb -- I didn't realize you were going! When are you going? You're going South, obviously, but where? Work taking you away?

Anni...in keeping with Moebius' theme...one thing I really do love around here is Hell's Kitchen. IMO, best breakfasts evah. Have you been there?

One thing that REALLY hard is seeing Pats games on T.V. Seeing Gillette. And those "picturesque" shots that the networks put on just before coming back from a break.

The one that got to me was a late-season game. The network went to the Frog Pond and showed ice-skaters on the pond. I just thought, "There's no place like home."

Another thing that got me was the big flood. I kept wondering how everyone was doing. And I kept thinking -- Hey! I should be in that flood! That's MY flood.

But it wasn't. I was safe and warm and dry eating lutefisk with a group of Norwegians.

FallingAlice said:
Fabulous! We're on. I didn't know you spent loads of time in MT? You grew up in New England, right? How long were you in Montana?

Anni...in keeping with Moebius' theme...one thing I really do love around here is Hell's Kitchen. IMO, best breakfasts evah. Have you been there?

Annihilus grew up in MT! (if you really need the whole story, you can find it here).

Never eaten at Hell's Kitchen, but have heard great things about it. Is it foo-foo food, or good hearty mid-western stuff?

Annihilus said:
Annihilus grew up in MT! (if you really need the whole story, you can find it here).

Never eaten at Hell's Kitchen, but have heard great things about it. Is it foo-foo food, or good hearty mid-western stuff?

My God! Anni! I never read that story. What a great story. Now when I see you, I'll think of Westerns.

And here all this time I imagined you grew up in Methuen.

There's nothing foo-foo about Hell's kitchen. They have these fantastic things like..bison sausage bread (which I've had and heartily recommend). They have the best hash-browns I've had in these parts...pan friend with butter, sour-cream, scallions and bacon. And these amazing lemon ricotta pancakes.

You won't leave hungry. They've got a website that gives the menu. Check them out. But if you go on the weekend, either go early or make a reservation. If you get there around 12ish without a res., you can plan on waiting 20-40 minutes.

The food is that good.

FallingAlice said:
Moeb -- I didn't realize you were going! When are you going? You're going South, obviously, but where? Work taking you away?

We'll end up back in the Memphis area, most likely back in Cordova where we used to live. Might spend a few months in Booneville, MS (read back of beyond) as I can rent a place cheap there and we can take our time look for a place.

Not work taking us, but just the whole cost of living thing up here. Well, that, getting back near friends and family, and the fact that we're considering trying to squeeze out a puppy. We were starting to consider trying to buy a place up here.... looking at condos in Stoughton that run around 250-290k for a decent 2 br place. Then figured we could get a nice 4+br house in Cordova for less than 200 (possibly closer to 160 range). We never really recovered from the wife getting laid off a couple years ago, so it just seems to make sense. Not the easiest decision in the world, but we think it'll be the right one in the end. Buy a nice place down there (market value still going up), build some equity, then in a few years, decide where to go. Maybe back up here, or out west (like SF, or somewhere in Colorado).

FallingAlice said:
If you get there around 12ish without a res., you can plan on waiting 20-40 minutes.

The food is that good.

This always intrigues me in a cultural sense. Granted, this is a diner you're talking about, and a wait in such a place is indeed odd, but it more intrigues me how in some places, people get insulted if they have to wait. We can go to Olive Garden up here, and see at least a dozen people turn and walk out at a 30-45 minute wait, often storming out after complaining (what? do you want them to go and kick somebody out so you can get a table???). In Memphis at most of the popular places (and there are tons), it's wasn't uncommon to see 90-120 minute waits, and while a couple people might decide to not wait, most just did. Sit in the bar, kick back, have a couple drinks, laugh, play, whatever, no big deal.

Moebius said:
This always intrigues me in a cultural sense. Granted, this is a diner you're talking about, and a wait in such a place is indeed odd, but it more intrigues me how in some places, people get insulted if they have to wait. .... In Memphis at most of the popular places (and there are tons), it's wasn't uncommon to see 90-120 minute waits, and while a couple people might decide to not wait, most just did. Sit in the bar, kick back, have a couple drinks, laugh, play, whatever, no big deal.

Ah, it's the good old southerner in you, Moebius. So that's one more thing you can look forward to.

Life slows down a bit. The Midwest isn't quite as relaxed as the South, but it's several notches down in intensity and pace from the East Coast.

FallingAlice said:
There's nothing foo-foo about Hell's kitchen. They have these fantastic things like..bison sausage bread (which I've had and heartily recommend). They have the best hash-browns I've had in these parts...pan friend with butter, sour-cream, scallions and bacon. And these amazing lemon ricotta pancakes.

You won't leave hungry. They've got a website that gives the menu. Check them out. But if you go on the weekend, either go early or make a reservation. If you get there around 12ish without a res., you can plan on waiting 20-40 minutes.

The food is that good.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation, Annihilus took Ms. Annihilus out there this morning (had to wait about 30 mins, which isn't too out of the ordinary for a good place). The hotcakes were pretty dang good, but the bacon was the best! Thickest bacon around. Like the homemade condiments too (like peanut butter) and the coffee mugs you have to hold with both hands (the coffee was great too).

Thanks so much for the heads-up, we both liked it (plus our waitress was wiccan, which was pretty appropriate).

Funny observance: most of the waitstaff was wearing pajamas. No joke. Though probably the coolest thing about the restaurant besides the food were the Ralph Steadman paintings that adorn the place (and the dead tree in the back of the restaurant with all of the crows on it: Annihilus needs one of those).

Annihilus said:
Hey, thanks for the recommendation, Annihilus took Ms. Annihilus out there this morning (had to wait about 30 mins, which isn't too out of the ordinary for a good place). The hotcakes were pretty dang good, but the bacon was the best! Thickest bacon around.

Absolutely! That bacon is the best bacon I've ever had.

If you didn't get the bison sausage bread or anything with their special rosti hash browns, then you've got to get those next time. Just get the sausage bread as an appetizer for your table.

That's true about the pajamas. I wonder if it isn't their unofficial uniform.

I want one of their T-shirts. Great design.

Back