Spitgate

Annihilus

Zen Powered by Death Buddhists
Reaction score
I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show on espn radio on the way home last night and they were talking about a story that said Tyrone Poole spit on Steve Smith during the Superbowl (evidently the info came from Mr. Smith himself). Has anyone heard anything more about this, or is it just a stupid rumor?

Annihilus said:
I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show on espn radio on the way home last night and they were talking about a story that said Tyrone Poole spit on Steve Smith during the Superbowl (evidently the info came from Mr. Smith himself). Has anyone heard anything more about this, or is it just a stupid rumor?

Smith has been telling this to anyone who will listen. He claims it happened after Carolina's first TD (the one to Smith). He vowed revenge the next time they meet, even if it means a suspension and/or fine.

No one has tried to get Poole's side of the story. Until I hear from him, Smith is just a sore losing bag of hot air. That is so against Poole's demeanor, I have a hard time believing it. If it's true, then shame on Poole. But I'm reserving judgement for now.

After hearing John Metaparell's interview with Smith on WEEI last week I am going to guess that this is a crock of baloney.

In response to an innocuous question about the Pats cornerbacks Smith got indignant with Meater and said: "You think I'm a punk don't you?" and some other noise.

His response convinced me that he probably is exactly that.

Thanks guys, that's kinda what I was guessing. Seeing as how the last couple of time in sports that someone spit on someone else (Romo and Alomar) it was all over the place, I've heard next to nothing about this so assumed it was nothing but fluff. Considering how many cameras are at the Superbowl, if it happened, at least ONE of them was liable to catch it.

I remember after their last touchdown someone bumped Delhomme and he just had his crazy, "look out now" smile and nutbag eyes all lit up! I twas great. He said something and I would love to know what it was, musta been something good and I am sure a lip reader could pick it up. Made me like him though. He showed discipline and spine all at the same time, a rare thing in this league. Iwas impressed with his overall performace, but that put it over the top. Still glad he lost though -- obviously! Did anyone else catch that?

Matt

Anyone hear Poole on the Dan Patrick show today? Poole claimed that saliva left his mouth when he attempted to say certain words. I dont think he had bologna in his mouth but he may have had peanuts.

DeaconPanther said:
Anyone hear Poole on the Dan Patrick show today? Poole claimed that saliva left his mouth when he attempted to say certain words. I dont think he had bologna in his mouth but he may have had peanuts.

Well ya see Deacon... It would be out of character for Tyrone to purposely spit on another player - he's a God fearing Christian.

But if he accidently annunciated his words with spittle, he apologizes - but you STILL can't have the Lombardi.

Hawg73 said:

In response to an innocuous question about the Pats cornerbacks Smith got indignant with Meater and said: "You think I'm a punk don't you?" and some other noise.

Smith has his own website, he is a total self-promoter. I stumbled on it entirely by accident before the Super Bowl, only now I can't seem to find it. ??? He reminds me of Teri Glenn, more cocky than Glenn but otherwise identical. He even looks a little like him.

Poole on the other hand has displayed nothing but class in my opinion. The only difficulties the Pats have had with him were when he didn't wish to be away from his family. He has been thrust into a difficult system and has handled it with ease and grace. That behavior that Smith is talking about just isn't Poole, but it is Smith.

Re: Hmm....

FallingAlice said:
Has anyone discussed the strange, clearly avoidable knee in Troy Brown's face in order to break his nose and intimidate the receiver?

I totally agree. I thought the knee was a little too conveniently placed. At the least it was intended to be a kick in the head. I'm glad that Troy had the last laugh at the Parade, "Bingo." He seemed not to mind at all.

That knee to the head is a PRIMARY example of the jelousy from the opposing fanbase. They didn't see that, they read anews article and drew conclusions. What about the fights that broke out at the LOS at the begineng of the game? Was that "all of the Patriots"? I can speciffically remember a meowie stepping on one of the Pats genitals during the game. Do I chose to rehash like it was the turning point in the game? Grow up and take your loss.

Ottawapatty said:
I remember after their last touchdown someone bumped Delhomme and he just had his crazy, "look out now" smile and nutbag eyes all lit up! I twas great. He said something and I would love to know what it was, musta been something good and I am sure a lip reader could pick it up. Made me like him though. He showed discipline and spine all at the same time, a rare thing in this league. Iwas impressed with his overall performace, but that put it over the top. Still glad he lost though -- obviously! Did anyone else catch that?

Matt

Yeah I saw it, that really showed Delhome's character. It was Rodney that threw a little shoulder his way as they passed by each other. It was definately intentional on Rodney's part, and Jake looked like he was looking for a flag at first, then realized no one saw it. His reaction at that point was pretty funny, his golf ball size and shape eyes and Louisiana grin were priceless, I could almost hear his bayou accent from reading his words.
They've played that highlight a lot, I think it will make the DVD!

Annihilus said:

I heard that Poole said he was exchanging words with Smith after the TD and some spit flew out of his mouth. :Eason:
He said he was going to appologize but Smith made such a big deal of it, that he changed his mind and let it go.

The Panthers are a bunch of idiots anyway...just about everytime a play was over they had to be pushing and shoving someone...they were even running their mouths on the coin flip...Ted Washington was yelling let's settle it on the field, and they did....YOU LOSE CAROLINA PANTHERS....suckers...

Back