Steve Belichick promoted to Safeties Coach

Roberto71

Reaction score
Interesting move, well done to him. He's impressed everyone who he's worked with, both players and fellow coaches. Like his old man, he is a workaholic who puts huge work into film study etc. But maybe unlike his old man, he seems to communicate better with the younger players in particular which shouldn't be a surprise.

This Belichick coaching tree shows no signs of stopping. It will be exciting to watch this guy progress in his career.

He replaces Brian Flores who moves to Linebackers coach after Patrick Graham went to the Giants.

Coaching staff

Head coach: Bill Belichick

Offensive coordinator: Josh McDaniels

Defensive coordinator: Matt Patricia

Offensive line: Dante Scarnecchia

Running backs: Ivan Fears

Wide receivers: Chad O'Shea

Tight ends: Brian Daboll

Assistant QBs: Jerry Schuplinski

Defensive line: Brendan Daly

Linebackers: Brian Flores

Cornerbacks: Josh Boyer

Safeties: Steve Belichick

Special teams: Joe Judge

Assistant special teams: Ray Ventrone

Strength and conditioning: Moses Cabrera

Assistant strength and conditioning: James Hardy

And one focus this off season, it has to be ST. Pressure on those guys for sure.

And one focus this off season, it has to be ST. Pressure on those guys for sure.

I'd also suggest strength and conditioning is a focus.

Here's to Jonathan Kraft and Steve Belichick ruling the NFL as next owner/HC of the Patriots for another generation.

Interesting move, well done to him. He's impressed everyone who he's worked with, both players and fellow coaches. Like his old man, he is a workaholic who puts huge work into film study etc. But maybe unlike his old man, he seems to communicate better with the younger players in particular which shouldn't be a surprise.

This Belichick coaching tree shows no signs of stopping. It will be exciting to watch this guy progress in his career.

He replaces Brian Flores who moves to Linebackers coach after Patrick Graham went to the Giants.

Coaching staff

Head coach: Bill Belichick

Offensive coordinator: Josh McDaniels

Defensive coordinator: Matt Patricia

Offensive line: Dante Scarnecchia

Running backs: Ivan Fears

Wide receivers: Chad O'Shea

Tight ends: Brian Daboll

Assistant QBs: Jerry Schuplinski

Defensive line: Brendan Daly

Linebackers: Brian Flores

Cornerbacks: Josh Boyer

Safeties: Steve Belichick

Special teams: Joe Judge

Assistant special teams: Ray Ventrone

I said it in another thread, but I think the injuries played as much of a role, if not more, on ST as for the OL.

Not only did they lose key ST players (e.g., Edelman), but they couldn't use guys who otherwise might be on ST (e.g., Amendola) since they were now key for the offense or defense and the risk of them getting hurt on ST was too much.

Finally, guys who previously would play almost exclusively on ST, now had to play reps on offense or defense and so either weren't available for ST or were not as fresh as they otherwise would have been. (e.g., Bolden)

That's not to say that they get a free ride, but I'm not sure the issue was primarily coaching.

Take just one example.

Harper fumbling the punt game.

Was that coaching?

Hell, if Edelman was healthy or if Amendola wasn't key to the offensive game plan and so wasn't going to field punts, Harper would never have seen the field.

I wonder if BB's youngest, Brian is going into coaching?
He should be graduating college, or graduated soon.

Brian's a scout for the Pats.

From Reiss

Bill Belichick turns 64 on April 16, putting him closer to the end of his coaching career than the beginning. However much longer he plans to coach (five years, perhaps?), this final stretch undoubtedly has some added meaning to him as both of his sons – Steven and Brian -- are now officially learning under him as Patriots employees. After four years of behind-the-scenes work as a New England defensive coaching assistant, Steven was promoted to become the team’s safeties coach last week. Brian has officially begun scouting for the club, most recently seen attending Auburn’s pro day as part of a larger Patriots contingent. Bill Belichick followed in his father’s footsteps coaching football, first learning by his side at the Naval Academy, and now his sons are following him as they take early steps in their careers. Football, no doubt, is a big part of the Belichick family business. That has to make Bill Belichick the dad pretty proud.

Oh nice, thanks OPT!

I'm not a parent but I can't imagine any parent wouldn't be supremely flattered by all of their kids following in their footsteps by choice.

Don't know if it is as "official" as this article states it is, but he was at the senior bowl practices with the Patriot contingent, and apprently at Auburn’s Pro Day...

Warning, article from that network...

1. Bill Belichick turns 64 on April 16, putting him closer to the end of his coaching career than the beginning. However much longer he plans to coach (five years, perhaps?), this final stretch undoubtedly has some added meaning to him as both of his sons – Steven and Brian -- are now officially learning under him as Patriots employees. After four years of behind-the-scenes work as a New England defensive coaching assistant, Steven was promoted to become the team’s safeties coach last week. Brian has officially begun scouting for the club, most recently seen attending Auburn’s pro day as part of a larger Patriots contingent. Bill Belichick followed in his father’s footsteps coaching football, first learning by his side at the Naval Academy, and now his sons are following him as they take early steps in their careers. Football, no doubt, is a big part of the Belichick family business. That has to make Bill Belichick the dad pretty proud.

SSDD

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Brian's a scout for the Pats.

From Reiss

Beat me too it while I was editing!

SSDD

Back