Targeting: WR

Over the past month, things have gotten very interesting. BB added Devante Parker adn the first thing he did was hop a plane to Tampa and start catching some passes from Mac Jones. He, along with Meyers, Bourne and Agholor were there as was JJ Taylor.

For once the news was all good. Mac was taping the sessions. I saw some Twitter stuff with all of the WRs taking a break in the stands. Looks like a HS football field. Reports from observers was that Mac was dead nuts accurate and the receivers were working their collective butts off. Parker showed up Wednesday afternoon and all five guys worked out Thursday morning and into the mid afternoon. Now the patriots have some receivers who really want to shine and Mac appears to be willing to do the polishing.

Over the past month, things have gotten very interesting. BB added Devante Parker adn the first thing he did was hop a plane to Tampa and start catching some passes from Mac Jones. He, along with Meyers, Bourne and Agholor were there as was JJ Taylor.

For once the news was all good. Mac was taping the sessions. I saw some Twitter stuff with all of the WRs taking a break in the stands. Looks like a HS football field. Reports from observers was that Mac was dead nuts accurate and the receivers were working their collective butts off. Parker showed up Wednesday afternoon and all five guys worked out Thursday morning and into the mid afternoon. Now the patriots have some receivers who really want to shine and Mac appears to be willing to do the polishing.

This is a great post and I agree 100%.

We are free of the Brady BS.

From Mike Reiss

10. Did you know: Patriots wide receivers combined for 103 receiving first downs last season, ranking 28th in the NFL. In addition, the Patriots were the first team since the 2009 Rams to go an entire season without a player having a 100-yard receiving game.

Consider that since Belichick arrived in New England in 2000, he's selected just 18 receivers in the draft. That is tied for the fifth-lowest total over that span and doesn't take into account that six of those receivers were picked in the seventh/final round, and one is a special-teams-only option (Matthew Slater).

The Ravens (30), Bengals (30) and Packers (29) have drafted the most receivers since 2000, with Green Bay viewed by many as one of the most impressive teams when it comes to developing prospects at the position. The Steelers (23), just above the league average of 22.5, are also widely regarded as excellent.

The Patriots' acquisition of DeVante Parker in a trade last week might lessen the immediate need for a receiver, but there is still a future void to consider with Jakobi Meyers and Nelson Agholor scheduled for unrestricted free agency, and Kendrick Bourne another solid season away from possibly being in position to request a pay raise himself.

Then consider the recent run of big-money extensions for receivers creating sticker shock for some around the NFL -- Davante Adams (five years, $141.25 million, $65 million guaranteed), Tyreek Hill (four years, $120 million, $75 million guaranteed), Stefon Diggs (four years, $104 million, $70 million guaranteed) -- and teams might now prioritize drafting receivers more than they have in the past.

"When you start throwing that money around, if it's a quarterback, I get it. If it's a pass-rusher, I get it. Guys that are impacting games all the time. With a receiver -- they're important don't get me wrong, but a good defensive coordinator can take them out of the game plan," said Scot McCloughan, the former Washington and San Francisco general manager who now works as an independent scouting consultant for NFL teams.

"So now you're lucky if he touches the ball 6-8 times a game ... it's just who's going to impact the game the most."

McCloughan added that the price can always be justified if a team feels it's close to a championship, but he views the draft -- and getting quality production on players on cheaper rookie contracts -- as becoming even more critical.

This echoes something ESPN draft analyst Jordan Reid pointed out: "With wide receivers projected to make so much money after their rookie deals, we could see teams elect to simply turn to the draft to restock the talent of that player instead of paying him."

This is one reason Belichick and the less-than-average investment at receiver could be costly (financially and otherwise) for the Patriots if it continues.

It doesn't necessarily have to be at pick No. 21, although it's always good to be aware of receiver-needy teams like Green Bay (No. 22) and Kansas City (Nos. 29 and 30) lurking behind them. Prospects such as Ohio State's Chris Olave, Alabama's Jameson Williams, Penn State's Jahan Dotson and Arkansas' Treylon Burks would be among those to consider in the first round.

In a draft considered deep at receiver, there should be plenty of options through the middle rounds to consider as well (ESPN's Matt Bowen identified Boise State's Khalil Shakir as a fit for New England in the middle rounds).

McCloughan, who got his start in the NFL as a regional scout with the Packers and remembers current Patriots director of scouting Eliot Wolf attending meetings as a youngster to see his father (GM Ron Wolf), said one of the biggest challenges of being a GM was adjusting to the market when salaries spiked.

"I think that's kind of what's going on now [at receiver]," he said.

Only about 25 or fewer will be drafted.

From Mike Reiss

10. Did you know: Patriots wide receivers combined for 103 receiving first downs last season, ranking 28th in the NFL. In addition, the Patriots were the first team since the 2009 Rams to go an entire season without a player having a 100-yard receiving game.

Consider that since Belichick arrived in New England in 2000, he's selected just 18 receivers in the draft. That is tied for the fifth-lowest total over that span and doesn't take into account that six of those receivers were picked in the seventh/final round, and one is a special-teams-only option (Matthew Slater).

The Ravens (30), Bengals (30) and Packers (29) have drafted the most receivers since 2000, with Green Bay viewed by many as one of the most impressive teams when it comes to developing prospects at the position. The Steelers (23), just above the league average of 22.5, are also widely regarded as excellent.

The Patriots' acquisition of DeVante Parker in a trade last week might lessen the immediate need for a receiver, but there is still a future void to consider with Jakobi Meyers and Nelson Agholor scheduled for unrestricted free agency, and Kendrick Bourne another solid season away from possibly being in position to request a pay raise himself.

Then consider the recent run of big-money extensions for receivers creating sticker shock for some around the NFL -- Davante Adams (five years, $141.25 million, $65 million guaranteed), Tyreek Hill (four years, $120 million, $75 million guaranteed), Stefon Diggs (four years, $104 million, $70 million guaranteed) -- and teams might now prioritize drafting receivers more than they have in the past.

"When you start throwing that money around, if it's a quarterback, I get it. If it's a pass-rusher, I get it. Guys that are impacting games all the time. With a receiver -- they're important don't get me wrong, but a good defensive coordinator can take them out of the game plan," said Scot McCloughan, the former Washington and San Francisco general manager who now works as an independent scouting consultant for NFL teams.

"So now you're lucky if he touches the ball 6-8 times a game ... it's just who's going to impact the game the most."

McCloughan added that the price can always be justified if a team feels it's close to a championship, but he views the draft -- and getting quality production on players on cheaper rookie contracts -- as becoming even more critical.

This echoes something ESPN draft analyst Jordan Reid pointed out: "With wide receivers projected to make so much money after their rookie deals, we could see teams elect to simply turn to the draft to restock the talent of that player instead of paying him."

This is one reason Belichick and the less-than-average investment at receiver could be costly (financially and otherwise) for the Patriots if it continues.

It doesn't necessarily have to be at pick No. 21, although it's always good to be aware of receiver-needy teams like Green Bay (No. 22) and Kansas City (Nos. 29 and 30) lurking behind them. Prospects such as Ohio State's Chris Olave, Alabama's Jameson Williams, Penn State's Jahan Dotson and Arkansas' Treylon Burks would be among those to consider in the first round.

In a draft considered deep at receiver, there should be plenty of options through the middle rounds to consider as well (ESPN's Matt Bowen identified Boise State's Khalil Shakir as a fit for New England in the middle rounds).

McCloughan, who got his start in the NFL as a regional scout with the Packers and remembers current Patriots director of scouting Eliot Wolf attending meetings as a youngster to see his father (GM Ron Wolf), said one of the biggest challenges of being a GM was adjusting to the market when salaries spiked.

"I think that's kind of what's going on now [at receiver]," he said.

This is exactly why BB needs to draft better at WR (his past track record is infamous)...Wolf and Groh should be able to pick the right guys.

This is exactly why BB needs to draft better at WR (his past track record is infamous)...Wolf and Groh should be able to pick the right guys.
Exactly, otherwise you end up paying 10 million a year for average at best receivers like Agholor which defeats the purpose.

Only about 25 or fewer will be drafted.

I'd pick Devon Thompkins from that list if the players selected as a comp are accurate. Thompkins comp was Isiah McKenzie and could be picked up with a low round pick.

And reading those late comp players was kinda funny, who dat?????

True. But context: 9 trips, six rings. I cannot help but be slightly perturbed by all the criticism that seems to overlook context.

Cheers
And how much did it help that they hit on guys like Branch and Edelman? They were big parts of 5 of those 6 wins, and of course Troy in the first one. That's some context too. Edelman especially I think was lucky, much like drafting Brady, not to the same extent of course. You don't draft guys in the 7th round thinking they will be great, you hope they will just help the team in some way.

And how much did it help that they hit on guys like Branch and Edelman? They were big parts of 5 of those 6 wins, and course Troy in the first one. That's some context too. Edelman especially I think was lucky, much like drafting Brady, not to the same extent of course. You don't draft guys in the 7th round thinking they will be great, you hope they will just help the team in some way.
Does that mean you don't give them credit for them for some reason? Or maybe we should say that they have a really bad hot rate early, but a good hit rate late and in UDFA? WRs and CBs, similar story except more resources spent on CBs.

Maybe this is a rhetorical question, but why isn't Harry in Tampa with Mac?

Does that mean you don't give them credit for them for some reason? Or maybe we should say that they have a really bad hot rate early, but a good hit rate late and in UDFA? WRs and CBs, similar story except more resources spent on CBs.
I give them all the credit in the world for Branch, that was an excellent pick 20 years ago. With the connection that he and Brady had, I think that was one of the worst decisions BB has ever made trading him away. I'm sure the Pats could have went 10 years without winning a SB whether they paid him or not, maybe even won one or two, but I digress. They get some credit for Edelman of course, they recognized a coachable talent and it worked out way above expectations, but that to me is mostly luck. On the other hand I'll even that out by saying what happened with Malcolm Mitchell was bad luck. That was looking like an excellent pick until he was injured. See I can be fair :)

Last edited:
True. But context: 9 trips, six rings. I cannot help but be slightly perturbed by all the criticism that seems to overlook context.

Cheers
You can't keep living in past. They haven't been getting the same production. It been obvoius to anyone that's playing attention. This has been a issue . Since Edelman got injuried & Retired.
I say it again Parker a great addition. They just need another WR. To help them create Separation On the 15-20 routes .

Last edited:
You can't keep living in past. They haven't been getting the same production. It been obvoius to anyone that's playing attention. This has been a issue . Since Edelman got injuried & Retired.
I say it again Parker a great addition. They just need another WR. To help them create Separation On the 15-20 routes .
That would be Parker's specialty, actually. He has the whole route tree, but he's great on the intermediate routes.

3. Patriots traded for one of the NFL’s best wide receivers. In the aftermath of the Patriots trading a 2023 third-round pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for DeVante Parker and a fifth-round selection in 2022, it was reported that the wideout was targeted heavily by other teams looking for wide receiver help. Parker made it clear that he preferred the Patriots over anywhere else, however, which helped the team beat out those competing teams.

The Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints and Washington Commanders were among the teams interested in trading for Parker before he ultimately became a member of the Patriots. In turn, New England can now call one of the NFL’s better wide receivers its own:

Cheers
Hey, I get it, but, I'm just pointing out his obvious weaknesses. I'll never argue the overall outcome. BB is the GOAT. No disputing that fact.

I guarantee you that the Pats bring in outside consultant's to find another angle to look at...for an objective POV.

Streamline the process/s. Maximize success. Efficiency. Bottom line.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a rhetorical question, but why isn't Harry in Tampa with Mac?

I think Harry figures his number is up, so there is no point to him going to build team chemistry, but I'd bet he got an invitation.

Like Parcells was fond of saying:

you don't have to get whacked in the face with a skunk in order to smell it

We literally have no idea what Belichick is going to do, for the most part, and I like to think I'm unshockable, but if Harry makes this team and we have
to listen to how hard he's been working or any other suggestion that this is going to be his year, I'm going to get nauseous.

The guy just can't play and never seems to have his head in the game. I gave him all the patience I could muster, but it's time to fold that hand.

NKeal-Harry-Patriots-Dolphins-copy.jpg

I think Harry figures his number is up, so there is no point to him going to build team chemistry, but I'd bet he got an invitation.

Like Parcells was fond of saying:

you don't have to get whacked in the face with a skunk in order to smell it

We literally have no idea what Belichick is going to do, for the most part, and I like to think I'm unshockable, but if Harry makes this team and we have
to listen to how hard he's been working or any other suggestion that this is going to be his year, I'm going to get nauseous.

The guy just can't play and never seems to have his head in the game. I gave him all the patience I could muster, but it's time to fold that hand.

View attachment 10208
And I feel bad for the guy because I am in the camp that thinks he hears footsteps, and in my opinion rightfully so. It is a disaster for an NFL WR,but he has had at least 3 concussions and my impression is that each builds off the last one. He has made almost 3 million dollars so far in the NFL, if he did not blow it, he should be set for a good life. Take it. Enjoy. Become a HS or college assistant if he still loves the game.

Johan Dotson gives me Marvin Harrison vibes.

Back