Technology...Meh!

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Do you remember when we really needed to pay attention to down and distance? When the announcers were required to talk about the types of plays called?

lines
For a while, there were no down and distance lines for the donks game for me.

LOVED IT!

Where would you take the tech out of the broadcasts today????

Do you remember when we really needed to pay attention to down and distance? When the announcers were required to talk about the types of plays called?

lines

LOVED IT!

You would take the D&D out? It's funny, I had a similar conversation last week after watching some early 90s tape. You literally had to hope that the network would do you a solid and flash the score when tuning into a game to get an idea of what was happening. Time? Hopefully they have that silly box in the corner with the camera on the in-stadium scoreboard clock. I like knowing the situation at all points in a game.

I wouldn't take anything out. I love the lines and D&D, though I could do without the gaudy arrows with team logos presnap with D&D on them.

God bless the 94 World Cup for introducing the full-time ticker.

lines

LOVED IT!

You would take the D&D out? It's funny, I had a similar conversation last week after watching some early 90s tape. You literally had to hope that the network would do you a solid and flash the score when tuning into a game to get an idea of what was happening. Time? Hopefully they have that silly box in the corner with the camera on the in-stadium scoreboard clock. I like knowing the situation at all points in a game.

I wouldn't take anything out. I love the lines and D&D, though I could do without the gaudy arrows with team logos presnap with D&D on them.

God bless the 94 World Cup for introducing the full-time ticker.

To clarify: Down and Distance is Okay. I HATE the superimposed lines on the field that allow folks to stop paying attention 98% of the time.

I was there in Pontiac for the WC..... the clock was the LAST thing there we were worried about.... What a colossal mess/party! :toast:

lines

LOVED IT!

I'd like to see a game with no announcers. I know it was tried years ago and I think it was a Jets game IIRC. Just use the stadium PA. Just like you're at the game. You can see D and D just fine.

To clarify: Down and Distance is Okay. I HATE the superimposed lines on the field that allow folks to stop paying attention 98% of the time.

I was there in Pontiac for the WC..... the clock was the LAST thing there were worried about.... What a colossal mess/party! :toast:

Gotcha. The first down line is nice now that they've toned it down a bit.

That Pontiac WC was off the charts. I remember seeing US-Switzerland and I want to say Sweden-Russia. I just felt bad for the foreign fans stuck traveling to Pontiac.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

I'd like to see a game with no announcers. I know it was tried years ago and I think it was a Jets game IIRC. Just use the stadium PA. Just like you're at the game. You can see D and D just fine.

The one thing I miss attending games is the next level of information that the announcers bring. While I attend most Pats games, I watch enough NFL for this to be something I miss (and find myself using Twitter to see what's happening during timeouts.)

Since I go to all of the Michigan games and don't really have a benchmark for college announcing, it doesn't bother me as much.

I do hate that the TV broadcast now really dulls the crowd noise and in-stadium vibe. I can't gauge the environment.

That Pontiac WC was off the charts. I remember seeing US-Switzerland and I want to say Sweden-Russia. I just felt bad for the foreign fans stuck traveling to Pontiac.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

The one thing I miss attending games is the next level of information that the announcers bring. While I attend most Pats games, I watch enough NFL for this to be something I miss (and find myself using Twitter to see what's happening during timeouts.)

Since I go to all of the Michigan games and don't really have a benchmark for college announcing, it doesn't bother me as much.

I do hate that the TV broadcast now really dulls the crowd noise and in-stadium vibe. I can't gauge the environment.

I get what you are saying. I just think of how much I despise Buck or Fouts and think I'd get by without them.

And your second point aligns with my OP. People are too busy to really pay attention.

Moot point for me as I don't have NFL ticket (choice) and the streams are often minutes behind.

The poor Scandinavians..... in 94.... Drunk, loud and lost in Pontiac. Terrible combo.

I get what you are saying. I just think of how much I despise Buck or Fouts and think I'd get by without them.

Well, my TV has a control that allows me to turn the audio down to a low level. It can even be made inaudible. :D

On Christmas Eve, we had the in-laws over for brunch/lunch (ok, voluntary attempts at inducing food-comas). We had the Pats on the TV with no sound, and Christmas music on the stereo at low volume. We talked, ate, and watched the score steadily ratchet up over the course of three hours.

Very enjoyable.

In fact the only announcer that we listen to now is Chris Kristofferson (Chris Christie? Chris Rock? Chris Farley? Chris Evert? Chris Collingsworth? Kris Kringle? - can't remember his last name.)

I like most of the modern additions to game broadcasts. The D&D, the superimposed 1st down lines, clocks, time outs available, the graphics that show the path a player takes on a replay, etc.

Except I don't like the screen-on-screen stuff. If there's game action, no matter how boring, focus on that.

And my top pet peeve is the camera suspended on wires over the players! It makes the field seem so small.

I wish they would add a piece of info to the "fox box." Currently they just give down and distance to a first down. Why not add the current position on the field. So the info box could read "3rd & 6 @ 23."

I wish they would add a piece of info to the "fox box." Currently they just give down and distance to a first down. Why not add the current position on the field. So the info box could read "3rd & 6 @ 23."

Probably because there are lines and numbers on the field making it obvious?

the only complaint i have is i wish the coverage was less ball centric, i would love to see more all 22 type shots it sucks to only see what is happening in a 10yd bubble around the ball.

ok another complaint get the graphics out of the way of the actual game video, nothing worse than a play that is covered up by some stupid effing scroll bar

Probably because there are lines and numbers on the field making it obvious?

I guess you are right. I wonder why they use a nice blue line to show the line of scrimmage? Seems obvious. How about the yellow line to show 1st down? Seems obvious. How about a nice red line to show where the team needs to get to for the kicker to kick a field goal? Seems obvious.

I guess you are right. I wonder why they use a nice blue line to show the line of scrimmage? Seems obvious. How about the yellow line to show 1st down? Seems obvious. How about a nice red line to show where the team needs to get to for the kicker to kick a field goal? Seems obvious.

The current position isn't relevant, because of the giant numbers on the field and the fact that the ball is stationary pre-snap. It's very easy to look at the screen and say "oh, the Pats are on offense and on their own 38 yard line." What you wouldn't always be able to see is where the 1st down marker is, especially as the play moves. The LOS? Relevant when a QB is on the move and closing in on the line. See, neither of these things are obvious. Field position is obvious because it's literally written on the field.

The FG line I think is just stupid. It's somewhat inaccurate and if you can't do the math or understand the situation, I don't find it particularly helpful. It does make me laugh when a team opens the game with a deep pass and the trusty old FG line to gain marker shows up with 14:45 to go in the 1st quarter. GOOD LOOKIN' OUT, FOX!

Back