The 2016 Martellus Bennett Appreciation Thread

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
This guy is a freaking riot on his own but this interview with his brother, Michael, is over the top funny. I only included a small portion.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> I ask Michael, who's famously critical of the league's overpaid passers, what he thinks of Jay Cutler."Worst quarterback in the NFL," he says.
"I'd be open and he'd throw into double coverage," says Martellus, who spent the past three seasons as Cutler's teammate in Chicago.
If there's an unspoken rule in the NFL against roasting other players, the Bennetts break it every day. What follows is a non-comprehensive list of their takes on various figures in football:
ELI MANNING
Martellus: "Eli? He's cool. He's like a normal white guy you see at the park trying to teach his kids how to play soccer and you know he can't really play soccer himself."
JEFF FISHER
Martellus: "If a QB went 7 -- 9, he'd never be able to find a job."
Michael: "Make sure he's in the NFC West."
BROCK OSWEILER
Michael: "I've got more sacks than he's got touchdowns." (This is accurate.)
Martellus: "I've caught more balls than he's completed." (Also accurate.)
PETE CARROLL
Martellus: "Joel Osteen."
Michael: "Tom Cruise. I feel like Pete Carroll is like Benjamin Button. He doesn't want to get old. He's getting younger every year. What is going on?"
Martellus: "That's what money does."
ROGER GOODELL
Michael: "A--hole. Nah, I'm just joking -- you can't say that. Overpaid."
J.J. WATT
Michael: "Dominant player."
Martellus: "Corny. Half of the NFL is corny, though."
Michael: "People love J.J. Watt, but they don't really like J.J. Watt, know what I'm saying?"
SAM BRADFORD
(Both smirk.)
Michael: "The greatest quarterback in the NFL."
Martellus: "Vicious. Competitive."
Michael: "A real Joe Montana."
TOM BRADY
Martellus: "The silver fox you never get to see but you hear about. You only get to take one photo, and you have to stay outside for a year just to get it."
JASON WITTEN
Martellus: "I hated Jason Witten. I appreciated his game, but I always hated him."
CAM NEWTON
Michael: "Probably the quarterback I like to hit the most."

I ASK MICHAEL later what it feels like when he sacks a superstar like Newton. "It's like lovemaking," he says. "Every season, it comes to that one climax. It's like" -- Michael pauses, rolls his eyes back into his head and emits a noise that sounds like the throaty gasp of a goat that's just been slaughtered.
"All of the other rushes are like foreplay," Martellus says. "You finally get to the bedroom."
"Yeah, you get to the bedroom," Michael says. "Take it off."
His brother looks at him. "That's a good analogy."
"That's a great analogy," Michael says.
<hr> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...tt-vs-everyone

This gonna be fun!

OMG Martellus on Eli...ROFL

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Also Sam Bradford...ROFL I hate that dude and his wonky ass eye and HATE that a team QBed by him beat the Pats.

That entire thing was hilarious. Both are great together and there's definitely a show there in the future.

Over/Under 10.5 TDS for Bennett?

That entire thing was hilarious. Both are great together and there's definitely a show there in the future.

Over/Under 10.5 TDS for Bennett?

Under, but only because I think Gronk makes a run at Randy's record this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My first children's book Hey A.J It's Saturday! Is available now on my website <a href="https://t.co/SPB1yvkHdW">https://t.co/SPB1yvkHdW</a> <a href="https://t.co/NJCFmgIar4">pic.twitter.com/NJCFmgIar4</a></p>— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartysaurusRex/status/747442435115073536">June 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3 terrific free spirit quotes from MB in that article that you may have missed.

• On the movie Frozen: “In Frozen, there’s not one black character in Arendelle. I don’t even know where Arendelle is, but there’s gotta be a black person somewhere. One of us made it over there, goddamn it.”
  • On how well he works with coaches: “I’ve always been very coachable. I mean, there was that one time I made the song ‘Throw Me the Ball, Coach’ … but that was just the chorus.”
  • The best NFL situations he’s been in: “I’ve been in the league for nine years now, and I’ve only been on two teams where the guys were a team: the New York Giants and now with the Patriots.”

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Under, but only because I think Gronk makes a run at Randy's record this year.

He could surely break that record IF BB gave TB the go ahead. No question in my mind.

From here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/comments/4au523/bears_fan_here_sharing_a_story_about_martellus/

A few years ago my son was playing youth football in our local town in the Chicago Western suburbs – he was in 5th grade and his team was in a division that was comprised of some of the best of the towns we were playing. Unfortunately, his team was the second tier in our town but playing in a top tier division so they had a really really tough year. They stayed together and played well as a team and always listened to the coaches and I was really impressed how they held together even though some of the games were really brutal. Even in games where they were getting blown out the kids continued to work hard and had a great teamwork mentality. A lot of this had to do with the coach at the time.

Well, the end of the year came and our team had lost every game with most being blowouts. I wanted to do something special for the boys as it had been a really emotional and tough year, even beyond the football field, so I called some folks I knew and was able to get Martellus Bennett to come out to one of their last practices (even though there were no more games) as the season was winding down. The idea was he would stop by, throw the ball around, and then take off – 15-minutes at most. We live in the Western burbs and this was a Thursday night during the season, so I was amazed we could even get him to come out for a few minutes. Well, that day there were tons of storms and we had to cancel practice. I thought the event was going to be a bust and called my buddy, who informed me that Martellus was still excited to come out and meet the kids, he would come to my house instead.

We invited all the boys over with their family members, without telling them what was going to happen (just in case he didn’t show up). Right around 7pm a black SUV showed up at our house and out popped Martellus Bennett, man was he big and his hand engulfed mine when we shook hands. I was amazed that he had come all the way out to meet these kids, and didn’t know what to expect.

He came in the house and we had all the kids sit down around him in one of our big family rooms. I figured he was going to share some stories about playing football with them. But he started out connecting with them right away. Somehow he remembered everything about them, the name of the team, their colors, the coaches names, the fact that they had lost every game (he mentioned that his middle school team lost every game one year). I was really amazed he had taken the time to know who these kids were.

Then the most amazing thing happened. He also spent the next 2-hours joking around with the kids, telling them about being creative, things they can enjoy in life, how art and science are really important, he told them that football was a fun sport, but it was just for fun, and there was so much in life they could enjoy. He said that he played football so he could do the things that he was passionate about, like drawing, cartoons, clothing design, kids’ books, etc... He shared stories with them that were genuine about him growing up and how he struggled as a kid to fit in, how him and his sister and brother were really close and looked out for each other. He told a story about how his sister was the most amazing athlete in their family – and pointed out all the girls in the room that were sisters of the players. He passed a marker around and had people with the marker ask questions, he would answer anything you asked. He talked about how when he was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys he was stupid and didn’t take money seriously, but then told the kids that he learned quickly that money was not important for status, but it should be respected. This was 90-minutes into the evening already.

I was shocked because I had promised my contact that he would not have to be with the boys more than 15-minutes. He then took pictures with all the kids, signed all their autographs, arm wrestled with them, and just had fun. He connected with each kid there, asking what position they played, what they liked in school, what they liked to do for fun, etc… He had the room in stitches because he was so funny and entertaining, but mostly one of the most genuine caring and passionate people I have ever met. I started to get really worried at the 2-hour mark and told the kids that he probably should get going. The kids were so pumped up they ran around and played on their own for the next hour or so. When the kids left the room, he looked at the adults in the room (the moms and dads) and said ‘now let’s have adult conversation’ and went on to talk about the ballet and opera and music and clothing and art and his daughter and all the things in life that matter. He probably would have stayed another hour or so as people were having a great time, but I knew that he had a driver outside and I kept worrying that he was going to get stuck in traffic or something on the way home.

When he left I was amazed at the person I had met and how I had looked up to him because he was such an amazing athlete, but now looked up to him for so much more. My son has since then always thought Martellus Bennett is his favorite player in the NFL, and probably is going to become a Patriots fan.

Yes it is and thanks for posting that. Some worthwhile snippets from that article. Bennett isn't afraid to be himself. There's something admirable about being transparent like that, especially for a celebrity.

“A lot of players act one way with teammates, one way with reporters, another way for fans, another for their friends,” says Bennett. “I’m just me all the time. I’m normal. Everyone else in the NFL is weird.”

Bennett was so miserable in Dallas that he almost retired after his third season, with no serious plans for his future. “I didn’t really know who I was at the time,” he says. “I just knew who I wanted to be. And I didn’t like who I was becoming.”
By 2012, after four seasons in Dallas, Bennett knew he had to get out. So he opted to sign a one-year contract with the New York Giants, where he believed he could better showcase his skills. He was right. In addition to catching 55 passes that season, he charmed the New York media with endless sound bites and memorable moments. After one game, he caught a fan who’d fallen over the front railing, and he immortalized the moment in a surreal and hilarious animated video for the website Vice Sports. Everyone started calling him the Black Unicorn after he used the term to describe how he felt while running down the field.

Right now, if any tight end in the league is an iPhone 7, it’s Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots. Bennett is more of a Samsung Galaxy. When Gronkowski racked up 149 yards and three touchdowns against the Bears in a game last season, Bennett took it as a personal affront. How am I going to outplay this maniac?

“Gronk is really f-ing good,” Bennett said. “It’s been a pleasure playing with him, and I think we’ve done a good job of raising each other’s games very well. I do some things different — the thing is, we’re built alike, but we’re two totally different players. The way we run routes, the way we go about our business is totally different. It’s been very fun playing with him, because he’s very passionate. He brings it every single day in meetings and on the field. And he’s just been a joy to work with him, because he’s one of those guys that makes you up your game. And I try to do the same thing for him, and I think we’ve been feeding off each other a lot. He’s been in this offense [for] a while, so I just ask him questions a lot. … But he’s really f–ing good.”

Bennett isn’t so bad himself, as the tight end posted 759 receiving yards and five touchdowns in 2013, 916 receiving yards and six touchdowns in 2014, and 439 yards and three touchdowns in 2015.
If they’re helping each other learn new skills on the field, then they could be a fearsome tandem by Week 1. That’s surely bad news for defensive backs around the league.
http://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...praise-for-rob-gronkowski-reaches-new-heights

Back