The 2023 Mock Draft Thread

If we miss on a DB in the 1st there is a Jones from Texas AM that should be good. That would give us a DB combo of Jones, Jones, Jones, and Jones.

As a Forbes backer, I'll add that he probably takes too many risks, which is easier to survive in college than in the NFL. He's more Diggs than Revis, more Prime Time than Ty Law.

But man, a DBackfield of CBs Jones/Jones/Forbes and safeties Dugger and Jon Jones would be a friggin' pick factory. So much instinct, trigger speed, and explosiveness in that group...it would be terrifying, especially with Judon/Uche/Barmore forcing quick decisions and Phillips and Peppers blurring the reads as LB hybrids.

All that said, Forbes' size should have him fall like crazy, even into the range of the pick at 46 or a small trade up. I wouldn't take him at 15, and his bust risk is definitely higher than Witherspoon, Gonzalez, and Porter. His wrists and ankles make Thornton's look like he's one of the American Gladiators. He looks like Chris Tucker in Friday, for crying out loud.
I do like Forbes a lot, even for a 2nd round trade up.
I feel like Porter is fools gold.

I do like Forbes a lot, even for a 2nd round trade up.
I feel like Porter is fools gold.
I'm the least comfortable with him of the top 3. But he's nasty in man, and especially press man, plus is nails in run support from the corner. I'm much less comfortable with him in zone. But if we're taking a #1 to be able to take one weapon away and scheme away the rest (as with Law, Revis, Talib, Gilmore) he's got a shot at being that guy. His play reminds me a lot of Ty Law, actually, if Law was 6'2" with Porter's long-ass arms. The downside of that is that Law couldn't play his style of bully ball today, and Porter may face the same problem making the transition to the NFL reffing.

Alex Barth's newest mock. I like it for who he picked but I want a WR higher. Josh Downs or Marvin Mims would do nicely.

FtoaprMWcAIW_bM

Alex Barth's newest mock. I like it for who he picked but I want a WR higher. Josh Downs or Marvin Mims would do nicely.

FtoaprMWcAIW_bM
Without a true #1 candidate, I don't want to add another WR without a clear benefit to the offense. I'd rather have a purely developmental guy rather than just vulture targets from Bourne and Thornton. I'd rather add 2 TEs from this ridiculous class to be backups, different profiles, and leverage against Henry and Gesicki's expiring contracts than a WR with thoughts of significant contribution this year.

If you're taking a WR, it should be someone for 2024 and/or a swing for the fences.

I like Derrick Hall. Haven't seen him show up on many mocks. Not a huge fan of Brents in this CB class, and Dean is very meh. This safety class is slow, but there are a few potential CB/S crossovers that have potential. I like the trade down & trade up combo, and I like the targeted players.

We haven't been able to replace James White, since he went out with injury and then retired.
Tyjae Spears of Tulane is the guy who could give us the White, Vareen, Faulk type of back that we have been missing. He is graded to be a late 3rd or 4th but could move up. If he is there in the late 3rd, we should move up to take him.

Dane Brugler of the Athletic does a complete mock of the draft.

New England Patriots

1 (14): Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
2 (46): Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina
3 (76): Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah
4 (107): Byron Young, DT, Alabama
4 (117): Blake Freeland, OT, BYU
4 (135): Dylan Horton, Edge, TCU
6 (184): Elijah Higgins, WR/TE, Stanford
6 (187): Dee Winters, LB, TCU
6 (192): Alex Forsyth, C, Oregon
6 (210): Kenny McIntosh, RB, Georgia
7 (245): Kaevon Merriweather, S, Iowa

Buffalo Bills

1 (27): Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
2 (59): Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee
3 (91): Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
4 (130): Wanya Morris, OT, Oklahoma
5 (137): K.J. Henry, Edge, Clemson
6 (205): Brandon Hill, S, Pittsburgh

New York Jets

1 (13): Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
2 (42): Joe Tippmann, C, Wisconsin
2 (43): Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin
4 (112): Nick Hampton, Edge, Appalachian State
5 (143): Owen Pappoe, LB, Auburn
6 (207): Xavier Gipson, WR, Stephen F. Austin

Miami Dolphins

2 (51): Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
3 (84): Brenton Strange, TE, Penn State
6 (197): Lonnie Phelps, Edge, Kansas
7 (238): Deneric Prince, RB, Tulsa

FtoaprMWcAIW_bM

Barth made a comment on the podcast they did this draft on, that he would prefer to make "additions" to the team, not just "upgrades" (I might have that backwards, but the idea stays the same)....the idea being players that bring something new, not that slightly improve on another player. IE the top rated WRs are almost all slot guys, it doesn't really make sense to bring one of them in when they are a slight upgrade over JuJu...what you really want is the addition of a true gamebreaking #1, which this draft isn't deep in. At least that is the rational for not taking a receiver high.

Just read that Mel and Todd did a 3 round mock last night.
Patriots took Johnson OT in 1st, Stevenson CB in 2nd, and WR Rice in the 3rd.
Not bad, I could live with that draft.

Barth made a comment on the podcast they did this draft on, that he would prefer to make "additions" to the team, not just "upgrades" (I might have that backwards, but the idea stays the same)....the idea being players that bring something new, not that slightly improve on another player. IE the top rated WRs are almost all slot guys, it doesn't really make sense to bring one of them in when they are a slight upgrade over JuJu...what you really want is the addition of a true gamebreaking #1, which this draft isn't deep in. At least that is the rational for not taking a receiver high.

Not looking for a WR high in this draft. There are several in the 2nd-3rd to 4th-5th round range who would pay huge dividends.
Cedrick Tillman
Kayshon Boutte
Xavier Hutchinson
Jayden Reed
Marvin Mims - the only pure Slot on this list.
Jonathan Mingo
AT Perry

From my perspective, there's no true X WR1 in this draft.
But there are plenty of very capable WRs in the middle & mid-late rounds who have individual gifts that can be valuable.

Just read that Mel and Todd did a 3 round mock last night.
Patriots took Johnson OT in 1st, Stevenson CB in 2nd, and WR Rice in the 3rd.
Not bad, I could live with that draft.

Rashee Rice is the 25th WR on my board for the Pats. I honestly can't understand why those 2 are so high on him.
His releases are pretty good but his route running is limited and lacking in proper technique, his hands are inconsistent. He has some tools to work with but Rice
has a ways to go - develop more release techniques, better route setups, harder breaks, better hands position for catching, and better body positioning before and after the catch.
Rice is an avg sized flanker. He's not quick enough for Slot or fast enough for X.

My comp for his ceiling is Nate Burleson.

Rashee Rice is the 25th WR on my board for the Pats. I honestly can't understand why those 2 are so high on him.
His releases are pretty good but his route running is limited and lacking in proper technique, his hands are inconsistent. He has some tools to work with but Rice
has a ways to go - develop more release techniques, better route setups, harder breaks, better hands position for catching, and better body positioning before and after the catch.
Rice is an avg sized flanker. He's not quick enough for Slot or fast enough for X.

My comp for his ceiling is Nate Burleson.
Most have Rice as mid we 2nd to high 3rd. I would have preferred Mingo but they had Mingo going in the 2nd.
This is a crappy WR class but there could be 1 or 2 that surprise once they are drafted and play. Rice has as good a shot as any.

Most have Rice as mid we 2nd to high 3rd. I would have preferred Mingo but they had Mingo going in the 2nd.
This is a crappy WR class but there could be 1 or 2 that surprise once they are drafted and play. Rice has as good a shot as any.

I tend to stay away from WRs with drop issues & those who have a long way to go learning how to run a proper route.

Not looking for a WR high in this draft. There are several in the 2nd-3rd to 4th-5th round range who would pay huge dividends.
Cedrick Tillman
Kayshon Boutte
Xavier Hutchinson
Jayden Reed
Marvin Mims - the only pure Slot on this list.
Jonathan Mingo
AT Perry

From my perspective, there's no true X WR1 in this draft.
But there are plenty of very capable WRs in the middle & mid-late rounds who have individual gifts that can be valuable.
What is the story on Boutte?

I have seen most of those WRs make standout plays on the college fields but not with Boutte.

What is the story on Boutte?

I have seen most of those WRs make standout plays on the college fields but not with Boutte.

Freshman first, then soph then jr. He's pretty damn good and undervalued imo.

Freshman first, then soph then jr. He's pretty damn good and undervalued imo.

Thanks.
I'm going to claim it's a case of coincidence for me not seeing those plays. I tend to watch shortened games (in lieu of highlights) and look for who is involved on critical plays.

Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz (USA Today) NFL mock draft 2023. Pats pick Tennessee OT Darnell Wright at 14.
Danny Kelly (The Ringer) 2023 NFL Mock Draft. Pats pick Georgia OT Broderick Jones at 14.
Jonathan Jones (CBS. Sports) NFL Mock Draft 2023. Pats pick Tennessee OT Darnell Wright at 14.
Chris Trapasso (CBS Sports) Seven-round Mock Draft 2023. Pats pick Georgia OT Broderick Jones at 14.

Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz (USA Today) NFL mock draft 2023. Pats pick Tennessee OT Darnell Wright at 14.
Danny Kelly (The Ringer) 2023 NFL Mock Draft. Pats pick Georgia OT Broderick Jones at 14.
Jonathan Jones (CBS. Sports) NFL Mock Draft 2023. Pats pick Tennessee OT Darnell Wright at 14.
Chris Trapasso (CBS Sports) Seven-round Mock Draft 2023. Pats pick Georgia OT Broderick Jones at 14.
i would like either one of those picks

pfn-logo-black

• NE

Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • NE

DJ Turner
    CB Michigan

• NE

Tyrique Stevenson
    CB Miami (FL)