The 2023 Mock Draft Thread

Witherspoon is the best corner in the class. If he's there at 14, you have to take him, and work on tackle later.

Gonzalez is right there with him but what Witherspoon brings is more versatility.
Not only can he play man, press man, off man and any zone scheme you conjure, he's also physically aggressive against the run game.
His man cover skills are good enough now to put him outside with no help on all but the very best WRs; he's actually better in man than in zone.
His aggressive style makes him a perfect nickel prospect to compete against Slots and TEs. Think Dugger mentality but in a CB's athletic body.

Don't pigeonhole this guy, especially with a HC who loves using guys in every way possible. Before you know it, CB blitzes could be back for the Pats and we have a DB with the most tackles ever.

Wright OT from Tenn seems to be a fast riser in many of the recent rankings and mocks. A month ago he 2nd/3rd round, now he seems to be averaging in the top 20 just behind Johnson and Skoronski.

View attachment 15838

I call it the "Change the calculus" draft. Size, speed, and weapons to play "find the mismatch" with. Have fun, BoB! Even 3 TE is a set that will threaten vertically and horizontally. Buh-bye, Parker. Was targeting Gibbs at 46, but he went at 45.

Boundary WR: Thornton, Bourne, Juju, and Musgrave.
Big slot: Juju, Musgrave
Speed slot: Flowers, Bourne, Vaughn, Thornton
Right side of the OL: ridiculous, especially with Washington there.
Safety valves & YAC monsters: Hunter, JuJu, Flowers, Bourne

Of course Belichick would never come out of a draft with only one pick spent on the front 7. But this would certainly be a sea change.
Bump by request

• #25.
  • Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • NE

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• NE

Kyu Blu Kelly
    CB Stanford
    trade icon
  • NE

Hendon Hooker
    QB Tennessee

• NE

Andrew Vorhees
    OG USC

• NE

Mike Morris
    EDGE Michigan
    trade icon
  • NE

Carrington Valentine
    CB Kentucky

• NE

Payne Durham
    TE Purdue
  • NE

Camerun Peoples
    RB Appalachian State

• NE

Bumper Pool
    LB Arkansas

• NE

Jake Moody
    K Michigan

• 2024 NYG 2nd

• #25.
  • Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • NE

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• NE

Kyu Blu Kelly
    CB Stanford
    trade icon
  • NE

Hendon Hooker
    QB Tennessee

• NE

Andrew Vorhees
    OG USC

• NE

Mike Morris
    EDGE Michigan
    trade icon
  • NE

Carrington Valentine
    CB Kentucky

• NE

Payne Durham
    TE Purdue
  • NE

Camerun Peoples
    RB Appalachian State

• NE

Bumper Pool
    LB Arkansas

• NE

Jake Moody
    K Michigan

• 2024 NYG 2nd

Bumper Pool?

• #25.
  • Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee
    trade icon
  • NE

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• NE

Kyu Blu Kelly
    CB Stanford
    trade icon
  • NE

Hendon Hooker
    QB Tennessee

• NE

Andrew Vorhees
    OG USC

• NE

Mike Morris
    EDGE Michigan
    trade icon
  • NE

Carrington Valentine
    CB Kentucky

• NE

Payne Durham
    TE Purdue
  • NE

Camerun Peoples
    RB Appalachian State

• NE

Bumper Pool
    LB Arkansas

• NE

Jake Moody
    K Michigan

• 2024 NYG 2nd

In his latest mock Todd McShay has the Pats sending their No. 14 overall pick to Tampa Bay for the No. 19 pick, a third-rounder (No. 82) and a fifth-rounder (No. 153).

The Patriots beef up their offensive line by drafting offensive tackle Darnell Wright out of Tennessee at No. 19 and Michigan cornerback DJ Turner at No. 46 in McShay’s two-round mock draft.

Wright could be a longstanding franchise addition along the offensive front. He could also make an immediate impact on the roster considering he has matched wits with the best defensive pass-rushers in college football, including Alabama’s Will Anderson.

Meanwhile, Turner was the fastest prospect at the NFL Scouting Combine after posting a 4.26-second 40-yard dash time.

14. New England Patriots​

Broderick Jones OT, Georgia​

New England could go multiple routes here in this NFL mock draft. They still need a No. 1 receiver for quarterback Mac Jones and could also use some secondary help. Ultimately though, they go for an upgrade at left tackle to let Trent Brown flip to his natural spot at right tackle. Broderick Jones is a fantastic athlete at the position with all of the strength necessary to stop defenders in their tracks as a pass blocker and all of the mobility needed to mirror edge rushers or be a lead or pulling blocker in the run game.

14. New England Patriots​

Broderick Jones OT, Georgia​

New England could go multiple routes here in this NFL mock draft. They still need a No. 1 receiver for quarterback Mac Jones and could also use some secondary help. Ultimately though, they go for an upgrade at left tackle to let Trent Brown flip to his natural spot at right tackle. Broderick Jones is a fantastic athlete at the position with all of the strength necessary to stop defenders in their tracks as a pass blocker and all of the mobility needed to mirror edge rushers or be a lead or pulling blocker in the run game.

Or they kick Trent Brown to the curb, put Reiff in at RG,and kick Onwenu out to RT, but if Jones is here (and Witherspoon is not) you have to take him.

Or they kick Trent Brown to the curb, put Reiff in at RG,and kick Onwenu out to RT, but if Jones is here (and Witherspoon is not) you have to take him.
I don't agree at OT Tyler Steen, or Jaelyn Duncan are Broderick Jones equals. At CB Gonzalez, Porter, Stevenson, and Banks could all be as good as Witherspoon within a season.

I don't agree at OT Tyler Steen, or Jaelyn Duncan are Broderick Jones equals. At CB Gonzalez, Porter, Stevenson, and Banks could all be as good as Witherspoon within a season.

Witherspoon has better strength and he loves to make tackles. He's very physical in run fits. He plays man coverage better and well enough to cover all but the best WRs 1 on 1. I'll take Witherspoon all day long.

Last edited:
Or Witherspoon could be as good as Witherspoon right now, and not have to wait a year, and he'll be even better next year.

in my mind, he's the only guy you take instead of a franchise left tackle at 14. You can get another corner in the later rounds, and they're not hurting for corners.

TheAthletic mock draft

14. New England Patriots: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Former Patriots assistant Bret Bielema had arguably the top defensive player in the Big Ten in Witherspoon, a corner who coaches and scouts can’t stop raving about. The 5 feet 11 1/2, 181-pound Florida native plays much bigger than his measurables. That’s why I think some team will pick Gonzalez ahead of Witherspoon, the Big Ten defensive back of the year. Coaches I spoke to at the combine loved him in their meetings, saying his demeanor and personality really shined. The Pats already have promising young corners Marcus Jones and Jack Jones, but Witherspoon is a notch above, and that matters in a division with Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Garrett Wilson.

The Coaching Intel

“His physicality is just different. Not many cornerbacks are as tough. He’s pretty special. I think he’s just got savvy about him. He really understands the game. He would just smoke people. He made you really leery of throwing the flats. I’m glad he’s gone!”

“He has great football IQ. He’s really physical at the line of scrimmage; really fits the run; loves to throw his body around. We put an ‘X’ (on our scouting report) to go away from him. We were scared to attack him.”

“The media talked a lot about Joey Porter Jr. and I get why, because he’s super long. They talked a lot about the kid at Iowa (Riley Moss), but this guy was by far the best corner in our league. His instincts are rare. His ability to trigger is special.”

I'd be fine with them picking Witherspoon but don't see that happening when they have the Jones crew. Why add another small CB. And is Witherspoon equal to two good additions, i.e trade down.

As for picking another highly ranked Georgia player, that would make me nervous considering our track record.

Back