The Coaching Poaching problem.....

macpac

Reaction score
As we all know Bill.B did not hire an Offensive Coordinator for this season. Are there any front runners for the position? I was wondering because.......

Many of the best OC and DC's will be looked at over the next several weeks as possible Head Coach's for at least 7? NFL teams. The Patriots were Poached last year and lost both Weiss and Romeo. I wonder if Mangini will be looked at this year.

I guess if ya don't have an Offensive or Denfensive Coordinator on your staff it would be hard for someone to hire him away. Is something like that even legal? I mean if Mangini left, would it be a good idea to hire someone to replace him? Or would the Patriots be better off dealing with it the same way they do this year on Offense.

Since we have no designated OC, I don't believe anyone is looking to hire away from us there.

As for Mangini, I believe teams have to ask for permission to talk to him. Even if Eric wanted to listen (would you rather learn from someone other than Belichick the Gray?), I doubt very much that the orginization would allow it.

The Pats offense has looked decent in recent weeks when the starters have been on the field. And having a guy like Cassell step in with pretty much near zero experience along with a few other non-starters and not having the wheels come completely off is an encouraging sign in my opinion.

If Josh Mcdaniel is playing a large part in the current offense, I don't think he has done anything to warrant being overlooked for the job.

My biggest concern with all of the coaching transitions is that some of the weaker AFC teams and in particular in the East could potentially close the gap on the Pats. The Dolphins are a good example of a team that appear to be on the right track with Saban. Regime changes in Buffalo and NY could very well bring some parity back to the AFC East in light of how bad those two franchises were this season.

Josh McDaniel has been the de facto OC all season. I'm sure BB has been very active in assisting him. But McDaniel is always the coach talking to Brady during timeouts and between offensive series. BB has remained in his customary spot near midfield.

I think both coordinators have grown into the role as the season has progressed. That bodes very well for next season with two young guys who have been able to keep the same systems in place.

Past requests for Mangini have been for DC positions. That's no longer a threat since that would be a lateral move. He's definitely not ready for an HC position yet. He needs a few more years in his current role.

Some of the position coaches could be tapped for coordinator roles elsewhere. Pepper Johnson on defense and Brian Daboll on offense are two that have been mentioned before.

what is the inside scoop on Dante Scarnecchia and reasons why he has never risen to at least a full Offensive Coordinator's position as opposed to remaining an offensive Line coach, Tight Ends coach or Special Teams coach throughout his career?

Dante Bio here

mikiemo83 said:
family stability, stay in one place instead of pulling the kids out of school and moving every other year.
I guess I find it interesting that Dante has remained a fixture throughout not only Head Coaching changes but ownership changes with the Pats as well.

Just seems that in other organizations when HCs and or ownership goes, so go assistant coaches.

RoadGrader said:
what is the inside scoop on Dante Scarnecchia and reasons why he has never risen to at least a full Offensive Coordinator's position as opposed to remaining an offensive Line coach, Tight Ends coach or Special Teams coach throughout his career?

Dante Bio here

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Scar was indeed offered the OC position this past offseason, but he turned it down. Or was that just a rumor going around?

mikiemo83 said:
family stability, stay in one place instead of pulling the kids out of school and moving every other year.

Not unlike Steve Belichick....

Back