The Cost Of Owning A Home Has Gone Thru The Ceiling!

newsleepyjean

Life is short, have fun!
Reaction score
My son had quite a day yesterday what with all the rain. He didn't even know his roof was leaking until this happened!! I hope nobody elase had any problems! :banghead:

Bet he was out there putting a tarp over his roof. That's too bad. At least it happened before winter though.....

Bet he was out there putting a tarp over his roof. That's too bad. At least it happened before winter though.....
yeah he was with a litle help from some good neighbors and three pails on living room floor. I guess nobody can do much else until the rain stops and things dry out a little. He is taking it all in stride, though. Good sense of humor helps. :shrug::heart:

We were lucky about 8 years ago. We were lying in bed one night during a heavy storm when I notice a small wet spot on the ceiling. I went into the attic and found one place where a steady trickle was coming in. The rain stopped and the spot dried up. But within a few weeks, we had a new roof on the house. The roofer told us we caught it just in time. There were numerous cracks in the shingles, which was dry and brittle. There were large spots on the plywood that were wet, but not damaged....yet. He took off the old shingles, let the plywood dry in the sunshine for a couple of days, and then put on top-of-the-line shingles. No problems in eight years. Should be good for another 20.

With a leaky roof, if you spot wetness on the ceiling, chances are the leak is not near that spot. Water, coming through the roof, will travel anywhere and you could spend some time searching for the leak.

Several winter ago, in one of my properties, a unit owner was complaining of a wet spot during the winter. I had one of my maintenance guys looks for the leak and when he got there and up in the attic, there was 12 inches of snow in a drift in there. Never seen that before.

Recently, I have contracted out 3 roofing jobs and one of the requirements I have is for the contractor to use the rubber membrane for water and ice on the lower 3 feet of the roof, all valleys and peaks. One job, I had them put that stuff on the entire surface instead of felt paper since the buildings were in a high wind area.

When I had the roof replaced at my house, I did the same thing.

Ras is correct.

Make sure they use the Ice and Water Shield. It's mandatory in the state building code, but contractors sometimes will cut corners. Good luck.

Several winter ago, in one of my properties, a unit owner was complaining of a wet spot during the winter.

Well, tell him to change the damn sheets, then. Why is it your problem?

Recently, I have contracted out 3 roofing jobs and one of the requirements I have is for the contractor to use the rubber membrane for water and ice on the lower 3 feet of the roof, all valleys and peaks. One job, I had them put that stuff on the entire surface instead of felt paper since the buildings were in a high wind area.

When I had the roof replaced at my house, I did the same thing.

Even that's not 100% though. We have that at the mall here, but they only covered it with, like, pebbles or something. Birds peck holes in it, workers drop tools, it blows up around the edges of air handlers and ladders... and, as was said, the leaks tend to travel down beams and air ducts and end up being nowhere near the spot they're actually sneaking in.

Rain's a pain in the ass. It would probably be easier to build the world's biggest umbrella over your house. ROFL

My son had quite a day yesterday what with all the rain. He didn't even know his roof was leaking until this happened!! I hope nobody elase had any problems! :banghead:

dang that sucks jean. good thing he caught it in time.

Back