I was thinking along those same lines.

I can't remember all the details, but so far hasn't just about everyone done something "questionable" in their lives during the flashback scenes?

Also, Have they done any back-story with the Korean couple? I might have missed that episode.

Section306 said:
Also, Have they done any back-story with the Korean couple? I might have missed that episode.

Yeah, early on in the season. I'll try to remember some details.

The first flashback shows the couple, clearly in love, discussing marriage. The husband doesn't want to ask her father for permission until he's more secure financially. The wife's family is wealthy and upper class. The wife encourages him to ask anyway.

Later on, the couple is now married and the husband is working for the father. The wife is miserbale in the marriage. The husband has no time for the wife since he works very long hours. He also will not discuss what he does during the day. If my memory is correct, he comes home one night covered with blood. I got the impression that the father may be a mob boss with the son-in-law doing the dirty business.

Eventually, the husband agrees to take a vacation to Australia. Unbeknownst to him, the wife has arranged to escape the marriage. She makes arrangements with a woman who helps wives leave their husbands. Prior to the return trip from Sydney, a car will be parked outside the airport terminal. She has a small window of time to get into the car and she'll be taken away, presumably never to be seen again. When the moment arrives, she can't bring herself to do it and they board the plane.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Anyone can feel free to correct any errors or omissions.

Well

Last night's episode helps explain some of why Sawyer is the way he is.

Not much else going on except seeing that Sawyer met Jack's father and Charlie having a few issues with having killed.

Did anyone else notice that the bad guy they were burying in the beginning looked like he was breathing?

'Lost' Island burns with mystery

2 hours, 15 minutes ago Entertainment - USATODAY.com

By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

Viewers came to Lost for the island mystery. Its writers hope they'll stay for the castaways.

ABC's Lost (Wednesday, 8 ET/PT) landed on the TV map not only because it was an immediate ratings hit - averaging 16.4 million viewers an episode - but also for its unusual story line and structure.

In the serialized mystery, one question looms over all: Where are they?

That single central structure might seem more appropriate for a novel, in which the author decides when to conclude the story, than for a TV series, whose writers can't control when it ends. But Lost's head writers, co-creator Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, say the structure they, along with co-creator J.J. Abrams, have devised can sustain tension and suspense for however long the series ultimately runs.

The strategy is to plant many mysteries and to turn the focus onto the 40-plus crash survivors of Oceanic Airways Flight 815.

"We're asking many questions," Lindelof says. "There is something in the jungle, which we're not showing you. Kate did something, which we're not telling you. There is a broadcast repeating over and over. What is the source?

"The key in the storytelling is when to answer questions and when to ask new ones. The longer the show goes, the more I hope the audience begins to realize there is no one answer."

Lost's unorthodox structure, combined with some conventions of series television, gives the writers tools to try to achieve their goals. They include:

•An unusually large cast. The 14-member ensemble gives the writers numerous possibilities for character development and relationships. The survivors and their intertwined back stories offer the best way to pace the show. "Most people are watching because of the characters," Cuse says.

•Flashback stories. The flashbacks let the writers create richer characters, new mysteries and revelations. Lindelof says Lost's biggest twist to date was not about the island, but that the adventurous Locke (Terry O'Quinn) used a wheelchair.

•A large collaborative process. A novelist works solo. TV writers are a team, whose efforts are interpreted by directors, editors and actors. An on-camera spark between actors Naveen Andrews and Maggie Grace led writers to create a romantic story for their characters, the Iraqi Sayid and the spoiled Shannon.

•Feedback. Lindelof and Cuse can't dictate when the story ends, but they can adjust based on ratings and other factors, such as Internet chatter. "We're getting feedback from people saying, 'We want more mysteries solved,' " Lindelof says. "Maybe we should answer a couple of more questions than we were actually planning on answering."

High ratings mean Lost will last longer, which requires a more gradual pace. On a failing show, mysteries could be resolved in a few episodes, Lindelof says.

Kevin J. Anderson, co-author of Dune: The Battle of Corrin, marvels at the writers' balancing act.

"I have to say I'm amazed as a writer. How are they going to keep this up?" he says. "They have a foreground story with problems on a mysterious island. But the back stories are just as interesting."

Not everyone believes Lost is moving fast enough. Best-selling author Stephen King, an early fan, has concerns. "It's been in neutral for the last month or so," he says via e-mail. "I have no clear sense that they know where they're going. My initial interest could be rekindled, but right now it's ... er ... getting lost."

Working forward, backward

Little about Lost is conventional. It started as not much more than a Survivor-meets-Cast Away concept from then-ABC executive Lloyd Braun; Abrams and Lindelof didn't get a chance to work on the script and casting until other fall pilots were much further in development. In some cases, they worked backward, hiring actors they liked, such as Jorge Garcia and Yunjin Kim, and creating roles (Hurley and Sun) for them.

Early in the season, Crossing Jordan alum Lindelof brought on the veteran Cuse (Nash Bridges, Martial Law), who had helped Lindelof get started on Bridges. Today, Lindelof and Cuse, executive producers with Abrams, oversee daily operations.

Neither Cuse nor Lindelof has worked on a show quite like Lost. It's a rare breed, unlike a cop or medical show, which could be a sign of how challenging the form is. Only a few other shows have had such complicated mythologies or mysteries, including Chris Carter's The X-Files and David Lynch's Twin Peaks.

But the two aren't troubled about plotting their series in such an open-ended medium. That's how TV is.

"We have to rely on gut instinct. I remember the frustration I felt with Twin Peaks as a viewer. It went from being totally great to totally frustrating, because it just got more and more obtuse," Cuse says. "We're really conscious of our show not doing that."

Cuse and Lindelof strongly dispute a contention they sometimes hear: that they are making up the series as they go along. They say mysteries and answers were part of a show "bible" devised early on. There are explanations for the monster, the polar bear, the hatch in the ground, the French woman and the island itself.

"We have a board in the writers' room with all extant mysteries: What questions are in play? Every time you put one up, you hopefully take one off," Lindelof says. Some answers will come by season's end; in addition, one of the 14 regulars will die.

At the same time, Lindelof wants the show to avoid becoming so twist-happy that it obscures the characters and stories. He says that after The Sixth Sense, M. Night Shyamalan's films were hurt: Audiences lost sight of stories as they waited for the twists.

Time and mysteries

Novelists and scriptwriters say TV has advantages and disadvantages for storytellers.

"It's an organic, dynamic process. If something isn't working, you can write a character off" or change a plotline, says novelist Joseph Finder, author of Paranoia and High Crimes. At the same time, "they're dealing with this strange limitation. They don't know how much time they'll get to do something."

George Pelecanos, author of the upcoming Drama City and a writer for HBO's The Wire, says TV can limit a writer's options. When he's writing a book and decides to change a story element, he can rewrite earlier chapters to make it match. Once a development has appeared on the small screen, writers can't undo it.

One big challenge for Lost was to get viewers to buy into the idea that people could survive a plane crash on an island but not be quickly rescued. "Once the audience accepts the basic premise that nobody's looking for them, it can become Lord of the Flies with adults," says Peter Lefcourt, a TV writer and novelist whose latest book is The Manhattan Beach Project. Lefcourt likens Lost to ABC's Desperate Housewives, in that both juggle character stories with ongoing mysteries.

Lost's characters and smaller puzzles help keep the bigger mysteries from becoming a viewer preoccupation. Cuse and Lindelof say Lost could continue even after answering the central question.

After the pilot, many viewers asked what the monster was. With subsequent story and plot twists, "I get asked that question a lot less frequently," Lindelof says.

But how long can they balance those elements? Anderson likens the effort to "the guy on the old Ed Sullivan Show spinning all the plates."

"I think they're doing it just right for now. But it's still only three-quarters through the first season. If this was the fourth year and they didn't answer anything, I'd be really impatient," he says. Eventually, "they need to give us profound and fascinating answers."

That's another challenge: making the mysteries' answers stand up to fans' vivid expectations.

Anderson and others say time eventually worked against The X-Files. In the final years of its long hit run, some viewers felt the mythology became too complicated and did not provide adequate answers.

Lindelof and Cuse say they've drawn a map to avoid such dead ends. "I liken it to taking a road trip from Los Angeles to New York. We know we're going to visit the Grand Canyon, we know we're going to stop in Omaha, we know we're going to Wall Drug in South Dakota. The route we take between these landmarks is what we make up as we go along," Cuse says. "And those landmarks are the answers to the mysteries."

bideau said:
Yeah, early on in the season. I'll try to remember some details.

The first flashback shows the couple, clearly in love, discussing marriage. The husband doesn't want to ask her father for permission until he's more secure financially. The wife's family is wealthy and upper class. The wife encourages him to ask anyway.

Later on, the couple is now married and the husband is working for the father. The wife is miserbale in the marriage. The husband has no time for the wife since he works very long hours. He also will not discuss what he does during the day. If my memory is correct, he comes home one night covered with blood. I got the impression that the father may be a mob boss with the son-in-law doing the dirty business.

Eventually, the husband agrees to take a vacation to Australia. Unbeknownst to him, the wife has arranged to escape the marriage. She makes arrangements with a woman who helps wives leave their husbands. Prior to the return trip from Sydney, a car will be parked outside the airport terminal. She has a small window of time to get into the car and she'll be taken away, presumably never to be seen again. When the moment arrives, she can't bring herself to do it and they board the plane.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Anyone can feel free to correct any errors or omissions.

No need, since they pretty much re-ran the stories from Jin's point of view this time. Nice to finally get his background, and to see the torment he's been carrying around acting as a thug for his father-in-law. I just really REALLY believed he would turn around and hug Sun after she pleaded with him at the caves. Apparently he either A) is so wrought with guilt about his deeds that he can't make amends with her, B) is angry she kept her English lessons a secret, or C) both. It was nice that her English is now in the open, and maybe metaphorically, so is she (no more worrying about the hubby ordering her to cover up). I'm guessing that the end of this episode focusing on Hurley's cd player finally dying, that we'll be learning more about Hurley next week - the teaser seemed to focus on him quite a bit.

Things are picking up. Walt started the fire??? Are you sh*tting me? My jaw about dropped on the floor. Suppose it makes sense, and his reasons were actually damn good ones.

Overall this was a better episode, had quite a few tender moments (Jin and his Dad - maybe that belongs in the "I'll Give You Something to Cry About" thread) and started giving them some direction (Locke's lecture that the group needs to focus on their common enemy instead of fighting among themselves).

FWIW, if I could trade places with Shannon getting cuddly with Sayid, I'd do it in a heartbeat

:p

maelli said:
I'm guessing that the end of this episode focusing on Hurley's cd player finally dying, that we'll be learning more about Hurley next week - the teaser seemed to focus on him quite a bit.

:p

This is my first foray into the 'Lost' thread and I believe I'm bringin' the heat.

When Jin first went into the guy's house to deliver the "message," the little girl was watching TV. On the TV was Hurley, in what appeared to be a commercial.

He was climbing into a car and there were Korean (Japanese?) subtitles. I have the episode on DVR (similiar to TiVO) and I replayed it twice to make sure. It was definitely Hurley.

ItsGood_ItsGood said:
This is my first foray into the 'Lost' thread and I believe I'm bringin' the heat.

When Jin first went into the guy's house to deliver the "message," the little girl was watching TV. On the TV was Hurley, in what appeared to be a commercial.

He was climbing into a car and there were Korean (Japanese?) subtitles. I have the episode on DVR (similiar to TiVO) and I replayed it twice to make sure. It was definitely Hurley.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Egads, that is quite a BIG clue, pardon the pun! Can't wait to see what that's all about. I miss my DVR :(

ItsGood_ItsGood said:

My wife picked up on Hurley in the commercial. I missed it completely.

BTW, Sun is freakin' HOT!! in that bikini :D

I guessed early on that Walt had started the fire. His reaction to his dad's anger when trying to put out the fire gave it away for me. But I thought it would be revealed as an accident, not intentional.

I still think Hurley will be the character killed off (see article above). Most characters have now had two flashback episodes and he hasn't had one yet.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the island next week.

Finally, saw a commercial on FOX last night for MADTV. They'll be doing a skit about Lost this coming Saturday night.

BTW, Sun is freakin' HOT!! in that bikini

Well yeah....

OK, so we've established that Sun is hot o:)

Did anyone notice that during the fight between Michael and Jin, the Korean conversation between Sun and Jin was not being subtitled? I pulled this translation off another site:

Jin (to Sun): You don't believe me either? (Michael asks, what did he say?) It's not me. It's not me. I didn't start the fire, okay?
During the fight:
Jin: When I walked by, your son was setting the fire. (watch Sun's expression after she hears this) My hand got this way when I tried to put the fire out.
After Michael asks Sun why Jin would run away if he didn't do anything, she says to Jin, amazingly enough, "He's asking why you ran away if you didn't do anything wrong."

So Jin and Sun also know that Walt set the fire.

Also, next week's flashbacks are supposed to focus on Hurley...finally.

Some gems I have found:

Translation of Hurley on screen:

First word or sentence SPOILER ALERT:

American or just Lottery winner

Second word or sentence

Los Angelas, Calif.

I realised, while typing in the other thread, that none of the survivors decided themselves to take that plane trip, in a sense.

Locke - Went to Australia for a walkabout, but was forced to return because he wasn't allowed to go with the others. He probably planned for stay for some time if he did.

Claire - Within a very short amount of time was convinced by a psychic that she should travel to LA. Sounds crazy, but she did it.

Kate - Arrested.

Boone and Shannon - Boone were tricked into go, and Shannon didn't plan to go back with him either, it seems.

Jack - His mother told him to get his father home.

Sawyer - Might seem like he chose to do this, but it was the wrong guy he shot. The real Sawyer probably wasn't even in Australia. We still don't know about the time between the assassination and the plane trip, save for the cameo in Boone and Shannon's story, which took place in a police station.

Michael and Walt - Michael all of a sudden were "forced" to go get his son, and Walt didn't have much choice than to follow him.

Charlie - Wanted to reunite Driveshaft. If the other guy had agreed--Liam was it--Charlie most likely would still be in Australia.

Sun and Jin - I cannot recall exactly why they went on the same plane to LA. Someone fill me in. I'm pretty sure it follows the same pattern, though.

Nothing yet on Sayid or Hurley.

My point is that none of them decided to take the plane all by themselves. That it wasn't just for some random vacation or something. They were all drawn to that accident.

Kind of makes you think.

notice that most of the plane crash suriviors seem to have something in common with another survior. Lets see, if we can figure what each survior have in common with another.

Jack and Sun- father issues
Kate and Sawyer- both kill a man in cold blood ( Note: while we do not know who Kate kill, we know she kill someone)

Claire and Shannon - both had boyfriends that were jerks

Locke and Micheal -both use to be in a wheelchair.

Shannon and Walt - both lost their mother at a young age
Boone and Jack- father died
Locke and Sawyer- were both ophans

http://www.driveshaftband.com/

UPDATE – September 23, 2004 – We've just learned that Charlie was aboard a plane that has been reported missing somewhere in the South Pacific. We have gathered the following information from various media sources covering the supposed crash and rescue effort:

Oceanic Flight 815 was flying from Sydney to Los Angeles when it mysteriously disappeared from radar at approximately 3:24pm, September 22, 2004. All attempts to contact the crew were unsuccessful. The plane is assumed to be downed somewhere in the area northwest of Fiji.

According to the passenger list, Charlie Pace was sitting in seat 68G. He was in Australia, presumably visiting his brother, who moved there with his family last year. Charlie had also recently played a few small gigs around Sydney. Evidently, Liam was not traveling with him on this flight, though there had recently been unconfirmed rumors that DriveSHAFT would be touring the States as a support band in the near future. So far, neither Charlie's family, nor any members of DS, have made a formal statement. Oceanic's release to the public said only that they were making every effort to locate the plane. Stay tuned to CNN and other news services for further information. And of course, we will keep this page updated with info as we receive it.

UPDATE – October 13, 2004 – It seems that we've all been feeling a bit lost since we heard the news about Charlie's disappearance. Early on, we thought we'd be posting daily updates about the search efforts. But as the days went by, it became more and more apparent that new developments would be few and far between. In this case, no news is certainly not good news. This does not mean we have given up hope. We know that DriveSHAFT fans around the world join us in sending our love and positive thoughts to Charlie and the rest of the band and their families.

:D

Sun and Jin - I cannot recall exactly why they went on the same plane to LA. Someone fill me in. I'm pretty sure it follows the same pattern, though.

They where on a trip delivering watches to Sun's father's partners. Jin's father said after the trip they should stay in LA and not return home.

Finally, a Hurley episode.

Definitely a departure from the typical Lost episode with alot of humor thrown in.

So now we've got yet another mystery added to the mix with the "lucky/cursed" numbers. How many lottery tickets around the country will be sold with the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42.

And yet another example of someone who went to Australia on some sort of a mission.

If I recall correctly, Locke worked for a box company. Hurley owns a box company. Another connection?

I got a good laugh out of Charlie's reaction to Hurley's confession that he's worth 160+ million dollars.

The Hurley episode was way over due. I loved the line about "Back in the real world, I am worth 150 million".

Back