The Other AFC Game

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
With the national focus on the Pats/Colts game, it's easy to forget that there's another important game being played on Saturday.

I'm curious to hear from the Steeler fans about their game on Saturday. Are you anticipating another game like the first one against the Jets? With Pennington seemingly healthier than he was for the 1st game, do you think he presents anymore of a threat? Are you the least bit concerned?

i personally think they will take care of business, they actually had all players from team and practice squad practicing a couple times this week...which is a good sign that the rest did us some good...jets player's comments also should motivate them ;)

Well, I may be no Steeler fan, but here is my take on it.

First off, this game will definantly be great. You have teams that play smash mouth football for 60 minutes. Just beutiful. Now about the game...If Pennington's arm really is that much healthier, he will be able to give Steeler fan headaches. He looked like a stud ripping 10+ yarders in the playoffs. And the Steelers are a vunerable team in the secondary.

For defense, John Abraham being in this game is huge. After the first 8 games, the Steelers Oline has allowed 21 sacks. The Jets will be shopping at the bits. But the Jets secondary must play the game of their lives..Because Plexico and Ward will hurt you.

You also really do not wanna play behind the Steelers at all, because once you do the run game is in full gear, the blitz is on more than ever and the fans are rockin. For the Steelers...

Attack a very very vunerable Jets secondary. If the Jets DL is getting that much pressure, move the ball by using dink and dunk. We destroyed the Jets using this. Establish a running game so you can take the pressure off of Ben.

On defense...Well, just blitz. Get in Chad's face and force some mistakes. Alright, allow me to let Flagg and others break this biotch down if they find this...:D

LVent said:
i personally think they will take care of business, they actually had all players from team and practice squad practicing a couple times this week...which is a good sign that the rest did us some good...jets player's comments also should motivate them ;)

What did the Jets say that could motivate the Steelers..?

BionicPatriot said:

just stupid stuff saying the will win if they ever come back here, i cant find the original but here is some of the the quotes that were said...

It all goes back to some visiting postgame proclamations when the Steelers and Jets confronted one another Dec. 12 in Heinz Field.

In the aftermatch of that 17-6 Steelers triumph, an array of Jets from native Curtis Martin on down talked for public consumption about how they hoped to return to the same venue, to face the same team, in the postseason.

Ellis went a step further, vowing that night: "If we come back again, we'll beat them. I honestly believe that with all my might."

there are a couple more quites i will have to dig for them later on...

BionicPatriot said:

After the 1st game, Jets DT Ellis said the Jets would win a rematch. When asked earlier this week if he still felt that way, he said the Jets would definitely win. He really should have just shut his mouth.

I agree with alot of what you said Bio. I see this as a slugfest with both teams trying to establish the run. The Jets will try to keep the game close until the 4th and hope for a break.

The Steelers will just try to pound away at the smaller Jets defense. The Jets D is built on speed. That tends to break down against power teams like the Steelers and Pats. But speed teams can cause turnovers and that will be the key.

A big Jets fan I work with says that Abraham's replacement (a rookie, can't recall the name) has been playing very well, especially against the run. Some speculation in New York is that the Jets will let Abraham walk after the season and put the money elsewhere.

I see the Steelers winning the game by 3 or 4. But it's going to be a dogfight. Remember, the Steelers needed a trick play to put away the 1st game.

A published report in New York cited a Jets source as saying defensive end John Abraham will miss Saturday's AFC divisional playoff against the Steelers with a knee injury. Coach Herman Edwards all but confirmed that yesterday when somebody asked him how realistic it was to think Abraham, who's sat out the past five games, would be ready for tomorrow.

"I doubt if he plays," Edwards said. "He's questionable right now. We'll just wait and see, but I doubt it." Abraham caused a firestorm last week when he said he didn't want to jeopardize his future by playing hurt against San Diego. Abraham enters free agency at season's end. "He's doing everything he can to come back and help us," Edwards said. "We'll see where he's at."

just to add to bp's point...just read that article

LVent said:
A published report in New York cited a Jets source as saying defensive end John Abraham will miss Saturday's AFC divisional playoff against the Steelers with a knee injury. Coach Herman Edwards all but confirmed that yesterday when somebody asked him how realistic it was to think Abraham, who's sat out the past five games, would be ready for tomorrow.

"I doubt if he plays," Edwards said. "He's questionable right now. We'll just wait and see, but I doubt it." Abraham caused a firestorm last week when he said he didn't want to jeopardize his future by playing hurt against San Diego. Abraham enters free agency at season's end. "He's doing everything he can to come back and help us," Edwards said. "We'll see where he's at."

just to add to bp's point...just read that article

As I said, talking to my Jets fan friend, no one in New York is counting on Abraham for anything. They've written him off and are disgusted with him.

But if its true that his replacement has been playing the run better, which wouldn't surprise me since Abraham has always been know for his pass rushing, then that benefits the Jets. The reality is that the Steelers are not gonna pass too often. The plan against the Steelers is the same for all teams, stop the run first. Now, the challenge is actually doing it. And I think by the 4th quarter, the Jets will be worn down.

bideau said:
As I said, talking to my Jets fan friend, no one in New York is counting on Abraham for anything. They've written him off and are disgusted with him.

But if its true that his replacement has been playing the run better, which wouldn't surprise me since Abraham has always been know for his pass rushing, then that benefits the Jets. The reality is that the Steelers are not gonna pass too often. The plan against the Steelers is the same for all teams, stop the run first. Now, the challenge is actually doing it. And I think by the 4th quarter, the Jets will be worn down.
what is bad is when a player is more worried about making the big $$ than sucking it up and playing....

Prediction on Pennington: 8 knockdowns, 7 completions, 6 sacks, 5 interceptions, 4 fumbles, 3 bad snaps, 2 concussions, and..........1 long flight home. :)

LVent said:
what is bad is when a player is more worried about making the big $$ than sucking it up and playing....

Welcome to professional sports in 2005. That's why the Pats philosphy is pretty simple. Are you playing for the money or playing for the love of the game? Now obviously, money is a factor for everyone. But are you willing to put it on the line when the team needs you? By all accounts, Abraham is preoccupied with his health because he's a free agent when the season is over. If true, he's putting the money ahead of his team. If he's doing it now, he'll most certainly do it again.

The only way the Jets win is for Pennington to hook up on some long completions early, get ahead, and make Ben pass. No way they'll be able to come from behind by more than a TD. Would love to see it though.

I don't think this one is even close. Pittsburgh should win this game easily, unless some really bizarre sh!t goes down.

I think Pitt wins this one pretty easily. This will be the last win of the year for Steeler fans as either NE or Indy beats them next week rather easily.

I'll be happy with whoever wins this game.

Steelers win, we get to shut 'em up

Jets win, another ownage of New York in a big game.

On a side note:
We've won 8 straight against NY...
Sox over Yanks last 4
Pats over Jets twice
and Celtics over Knicks twice.

Uncle_Tom_Brady said:
I'll be happy with whoever wins this game.

Steelers win, we get to shut 'em up

Jets win, another ownage of New York in a big game.

On a side note:
We've won 8 straight against NY...
Sox over Yanks last 4
Pats over Jets twice
and Celtics over Knicks twice.
Pats over Jets in *4* straight.

bideau said:

I'm curious to hear from the Steeler fans about their game on Saturday. Are you anticipating another game like the first one against the Jets? With Pennington seemingly healthier than he was for the 1st game, do you think he presents anymore of a threat? Are you the least bit concerned?

Not concerned about Pennington or the Jets offense. STEELERS D is going to be sky high. They will disrupt his rythm at somepoint during their drives.

I am a little nervous of how Ben is going to do. He'hasn't played in 3 weeks and hasn't really been hit since he injured his ribs. It's going to be cold. Take what the Jets give him as far as passing and don't try to do too much. Pound the ball consistently. The Jets have to be a tired team with 2 straght OT games and a short week. The STEELERS need to be patient and wear them down just like the 1st game. Wait till next week to "open it up".

The Jets can't beat the Steelers "A" game. It may be close in the beginning but the STEELERS win going away.

I hope.

i expect a physical contest on both sides of the ball. as has been stated, the steelers are more 'healthy' than they have been all year. not having plax the first time i think was a big impact for our offense. the jets will see just how much he means come tomorrow. it is true that, for over 3 quarters, they were tough against the run and limited us offensively. ol vilma wasn't recognized as the defensive rookie of the year for nothing. w/ burress back, however, it'll be hard for them to stack 8 or 9 in the box and leave their corners on an island. pick your poison, i suppose. i suppose if i were the jets i'd play the pass and try and out physical the receivers, leaving safety help deep. give up the yardage to the run between the 20s and try and hold us to field goals. no disrespect to the jets, but i just don't see that happening. if i weren't going to be at the game in person, i'd be tempted to call it a blow out. 31-13 or the like. since i'll be there, i'll simply call it a 9 point spread cover!

Back