The plot thickens...

vertigho

Reaction score
Curran makes an interesting discovery.... at roughly 6:30 PM EST, today, Sunday, October 20th, the NFL edited the rule in question to read that ANY player may not push a teammate into the "pile" on a field-goal attempt. Prior to this time, the rule read that only a player off of the L.O.S. may not push, as Belichick and many others had interpreted the rule to read.

So...

the call appears to be correct, but at the time, it was incorrect. The NFL edited the rule ~2 hours after the conclusion of the game to cover their asses.

If this doesn't cause an uproar, I don't know that will. Talk about unbelievable. Half makes me want to stop watching the NFL... this is despicable.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 2h
Photo of NFL story prior to 630 before phrase "not on the line of scrimmage at the snap" was edited out. pic.twitter.com/yWebD5UpMT

@hawk1275 Actually, as Belichick interpreted and story indicated, player not at line of scrimmage at snap couldn't push. Jones was at LOS

Photo of headline prior to editing. #patriotstalk pic.twitter.com/Bak1ySDCy0

Edited so Belichick's notion that LOS mattered is moot RT @PatsFan1243 @NEPatriotsDraft they edited it out to look right? don't understand

Call may be right. But rule seemed cloudy RT @jpm1287 So ref called a ticky-tacky rule, was wrong, and now NFL is trying to cover it up?

I don't think the NFL edited the rule so much as they edited the story they published with regards to the rule.

I don't know where the author of said story got his version of rule 9-1-3 but unless the NFL quickly edited the rulebook and uploaded it again, the rule in there differs from what is quoted in the Tom Curran picture.

I don't think the NFL edited the rule so much as they edited the story they published with regards to the rule.

I don't know where the author of said story got his version of rule 9-1-3 but unless the NFL quickly edited the rulebook and uploaded it again, the rule in there differs from what is quoted in the Tom Curran picture.

This may very well be true, but the NFL has their shit in the proverbial fan on this one.

What a pathetic display of communication and clarification.

Rulebook:

https://www.nfl.info/download/2012MediaGuides/2013 NFL Rule Book.pdf

Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense: Loss of five yards.
(2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.

Found it discussed here in July:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...3-Season/12908b33-b66b-4c40-9c54-cdf9f0d6cab5

On all kicking plays, the defense can no longer block below the waist, and they may no longer push players into the line or stack one side of the line of scrimmage.

Here

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/04/sports/la-sp-nfl-rule-changes-20130905

• Defensive players are prohibited from pushing down linemen into the offensive formation.

Seems to be just an error in the article, as anderson said.

Seems to be just an error in the article, as anderson said.

Not quite. While the call is right per the rule book, it appears that every example of the penalty shown to the teams in the offseason was of a push from the second level. In addition, the NFL VP of officiating refers to the second level in this video. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000152831/Blandino-explains-ban-on-overloading-line-on-kicks

Check out Tom E. Curran's twitter account for multiple examples of the references to second level players.

So (although soft) the call was correct per the rule book, but it seems likely teams were taught the rule incorrectly. Just happens to be that the first time it was ever called (despite it happening in every game for the first 6 weeks) was in week 7 and it decided a game. Now, of course, every team will understand it properly.

I also think it was awfully suspicious of the timing of this penalty especially when the Jets were way more blatant in their attempt to block a field goal earlier in the game. I also still don't think he was really pushing, but following so close that it looked like he was pushing because he had his hand on his teammates ass...But whatever let the fvckstick Jets,and Cockfvck Goddell enjoy their Super Bowl win, and when the season over they can watch us in the playoffs...:coffee:

Something certainly looks fishy

https://webcache.googleusercontent....loading-line-restriction-will-protect-linemen
Sept. 3, 2013
By Bill Bradley, contributing editor
Editor's note: This is a closer look at one of four player health and safety-related rules that are new to this NFL season, which begins Thursday.
NEW RULE: A ban on teams overloading one side of the defensive line on point-after and field-goal attempts.
What the rule changes: During a field-goal attempt or a try kick: (1) No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap; Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense, loss of 5 yards from the previous spot. (2) Team B players not on the line of scrimmage at the snap cannot push players on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation. Penalty: For unnecessary roughness, loss of 15 yards from the previous spot.
Why the change was made: PAT defensive teams were rushing through the gaps created by the overload. After looking at a lot of tape, NFL Competition Committee members found too many injuries were caused by this formation.
How it would impact player health and safety: "They will no longer permit defense rush players, Team B players, to push their teammates through the gaps and overload. This proposal also creates a situation where the snapper now becomes a defenseless player and he gets helmet-to-helmet protection." -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

Then on Oct. 20 it was updated at 6:32 PM.?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...loading-line-restriction-will-protect-linemen

• Published: <abbr id="article-time" class="value" title="2013-09-03T13:28:00-0400"> Sept. 3, 2013 at 01:28 p.m. </abbr>
  • Updated: <abbr id="article-updatedtime" class="value" title="2013-10-20T18:32:57-0400"> Oct. 20, 2013 at 06:32 p.m </abbr>

Editor's note: The rule proposal was amended before it was passed to ban pushing of any "Team B" teammate at the line of scrimmage.
NEW RULE: A ban on teams overloading one side of the defensive line on point-after and field-goal attempts.
What the rule changes: "(a) When Team A presents a punt, field-goal attempt or a Try Kick formation, a Team B player, who is within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage, must have his entire body outside the snapper's shoulder pads at the snap. (b) When Team A presents a field-goal or Try Kick formation: (1) No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap; Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense, loss of 5 yards from the previous spot. (2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation. Penalty: For unnecessary roughness, loss of 15 yards from the previous spot."

Someone screwed up, that's for certain, and the coverup is more flimsy than the rule.

quote from the "guilty" player

Jones, who said after the game that he was previously aware of the rule, took responsibility for the penalty.
"Yeah, it was something we talked about probably during camp and stuff, and it just slipped out of my mind," he said. "So I just, it was just my mistake, nobody else's. I've just got to man up and fix it next time."

quote from the "guilty" player

Jones, who said after the game that he was previously aware of the rule, took responsibility for the penalty.
"Yeah, it was something we talked about probably during camp and stuff, and it just slipped out of my mind," he said. "So I just, it was just my mistake, nobody else's. I've just got to man up and fix it next time."

Okay. :coffee:

Now explain how the rule being updated (changed) 2 hours after the game ended helps you feel better about your win.

I don't remember that happening with the tuck rule. In fact, the tuck rule was used against the Pats earlier in the year with the Jets as the beneficiaries.

Now explain how the rule being updated (changed) 2 hours after the game ended helps you feel better about your win.

I don't remember that happening with the tuck rule. In fact, the tuck rule was used against the Pats earlier in the year with the Jets as the beneficiaries.
I said yesterday......and I said today....it's a weak rule.......but the win still tastes good because it's a win.......

Stop it!!! Your making too much sense...:coffee:

Back