The Revenant

Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. It was basically exactly what I expected. I know some were a bit disappointed that it lacked 'action' at moments, but I thought the balance was perfect.

My absolute favorite element was the stark contrast between the beautiful cinematography (sure to win many awards) and the bleak, ruthless world on display. The story was retold in a manner that felt true to the period and the hardships man faced all around him - nature and man. Leo was superb again. Despite having only a few lines in the entire movie, his performance was what we've come to expect from him. I appreciated it more after reading the interviews where he described just how physically difficult this role was.

This is very much not a Hollywood movie. The artistic landscape shots break up scenes (often scenes of horror) and the story is told at a snail's pace at times, mostly because the focus is on Glass' battle to survive. I'm happy that it lived up to my expectations because I've been excited for it since the first information leaked. Very much worth seeing IMO and deserves many awards, especially cinematography and directing. And ****, just give Leo an Oscar already...

Also, the bear scene alone is one of the most phenomenal movie scenes I've ever seen. Again, even more amazing when you read how it was filmed.

/$0.02

(tried to keep that spoiler free)

The only thing that really bothered me....

When Leo jumps into the ice freaking cold river to get away from the indians, he seems to be floating for a while but the cold didn't seem to really bother him too much at all. You'd think it would have affected him way more than it did.

I liked that it was shot with all natural light.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot. It was basically exactly what I expected. I know some were a bit disappointed that it lacked 'action' at moments, but I thought the balance was perfect.

My absolute favorite element was the stark contrast between the beautiful cinematography (sure to win many awards) and the bleak, ruthless world on display. The story was retold in a manner that felt true to the period and the hardships man faced all around him - nature and man. Leo was superb again. Despite having only a few lines in the entire movie, his performance was what we've come to expect from him. I appreciated it more after reading the interviews where he described just how physically difficult this role was.

This is very much not a Hollywood movie. The artistic landscape shots break up scenes (often scenes of horror) and the story is told at a snail's pace at times, mostly because the focus is on Glass' battle to survive. I'm happy that it lived up to my expectations because I've been excited for it since the first information leaked. Very much worth seeing IMO and deserves many awards, especially cinematography and directing. And ****, just give Leo an Oscar already...

Also, the bear scene alone is one of the most phenomenal movie scenes I've ever seen. Again, even more amazing when you read how it was filmed.

/$0.02

If that bear scene really happened, he would have been dead...but, it's a movie and all that. :coffee:

If that bear scene really happened, he would have been dead...but, it's a movie and all that. :coffee:

In real life, Broseph was attacked by a bear, and basically left there to die.

Which reminds me. I found a low budget indie movie in a bargain bin called Big Bottom Massacre. Being the historical buff that I am, I thought to myself, "Hey, this must be about that indian raid in the old Northwest Territory of what is now Stockton Ohio back in 1791... Sweet!"

Man was I wrong. So very very wrong. :coffee:

He survived the bear attack in real life. And he may very well have been more tore up than they portrayed on film.

lol what? This was based on true events.

The director also reportedly watched 100+ actual bear attacks (humans and otherwise) to properly write and choreograph that scene. I'm guessing at least some of the victims lived and helped him 'write' Leo's injuries and survival.

EDIT: Yes, obviously the scene as filmed was more 'movie' than the real life version (Glass wasn't alone, others helped kill the bear). But certain liberties are just part of the game when making/seeing a movie. Regardless, that scene is a masterpiece of film making IMO.

The director also reportedly watched 100+ actual bear attacks (humans and otherwise) to properly write and choreograph that scene. I'm guessing at least some of the victims lived and helped him 'write' Leo's injuries and survival.

No, man... Bears are like big furry mobile AIDS fires that carry around dicks with which to choke you. No one survives that. :coffee:

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Yes, obviously the scene as filmed was more 'movie' than the real life version (Glass wasn't alone, others helped kill the bear). But certain liberties are just part of the game when making/seeing a movie. Regardless, that scene is a masterpiece of film making IMO.

Dood...that scene was sensationalized. That is all...

Dood...that scene was sensationalized. That is all...

Well obviously lol ... it's a movie. Based on events from nearly 200 years ago. I didn't realize anyone thought that scene was exactly how it played out in real life.

I see what you're saying and don't disagree. But I also don't think it takes away anything from the movie or the crafting of the scene.

:toast:

Well obviously lol ... it's a movie. Based on events from nearly 200 years ago. I didn't realize anyone thought that scene was exactly how it played out in real life.

I see what you're saying and don't disagree. But I also don't think it takes away anything from the movie or the crafting of the scene.

:cheers:

Ugh... :rolleyes:

That was my point.

I never said that anyone ever survived a bear attack though...

:toast:

/$0.02

Excellent review moose! Could not have said it any better. :toast:

And as far as the bear attack goes, that attack was a defensive attack meant to immobilize the victim.

If it were a predatory attack then yes, he would have died so it's not that far fetched that someone would survive a vicious bear attack like what was depicted in the movie.

Back