The Rock Instrumentals Thread

This song is most definitely my favorite instrumental. It's solo acoustic guitar, but I think it qualifies as rock.

It's done in an alternate tuning known as "Nashville" tuning and it lends a distinctive harmonic/choral effect to the piece. I thought about posting
a live version just to demonstrate that it is not overdubbed in any way, but decided the studio version has superior production values. At times you'd
swear there are multiple instruments (I hear "piano") in the track, but it's all just Pat Metheny.

I think it is an amazing composition and I hope somebody who has never heard it enjoys it and feels something
inspirational and moving in it as I do. Enjoy.

I'd recommend headphones to get the full tonal effect.

View: https://youtu.be/lSL5iL3UWgU

Oooh, Pat Methany. Nice!

Thanks to all who have posted so far.

I'm heading out to work now (it's 7:00 am in Adelaide) - will be back later this evening (my time) to review what's been posted and perhaps post another one of my favorites.

Working my way through all the posts. I've already responded to RG and Hipkat (via PM).

Here are the codes I'm going to use for my rankings: NMCOT, WLTA, HSWAGS. Songs that I'm hearing for the first time will be in blue italics.

Alk: The Real Thing by Faith No More - WLTA

Boston Tim: Walk, Don't Run by The Ventures - WLTA

Pape: Hawaii 5-O Theme by Morton Stevens - WLTA

Chevss454: Jeff Beck songs from Blow By Blow album - WLTA

Chevss454: Superstition by Jeff Beck and Stevie Wonder - HSWAGS (but not an instrumental)

AkPatsFan: Lenny by Stevie Ray Vaughn - WLTA

AkPatsFan: Riviera Paradise by Stevie Ray Vaughn - HSWAGS

Alk: The Attitude Song by Steve Vai - NMCOT (it's weird, I really like Satriani and Buckethead and a few other shredders, but I don't seem to get Steve Vai)

Darth Despot: Jessica by The Allman Brothers - HSWAGS (I'll probably post a couple of ABB songs if someone else doesn't get to them first)

Big/Sky/Fly: Joe Satriani (no song, just mentioned the artist; he's another one I'll get around to later)

Big/Sky/Fly: Orion by Metallica - WLTA

Big/Sky/Fly: Mr. Scary by George Lynch - almost gave this a NMCOT, but decided it could be a WLTA

Hawg73: One Lonely Night by Pat Metheny - WLTA (I have some Pat Metheny songs in mind for this thread, but that one wasn't on my list)

Big/Sky/Fly: Soothsayer by Buckethead - WLTA

RoadNasty: San Lorenzo by Pat Metheny - WLTA

Undertaker #59: Black Napkins by Zappa - WLTA (but may get promoted to HSWAGS)

RoadNasty: Taoma by Guru Guru - WLTA (sounds a little like Spyro Gyra (not there's anything wrong with that))

RoadNasty: Streetwalker by Jan Akkerman - WLTA (another fine guitarist whose work will surface again in this thread)

Big/Sky/Fly: Beat It by John 5 - WLTA (Gary Hoey does covers like this; I'll have to check out more of John 5's work)

RoadNasty: Sueño Con Mexico by Pat Metheny - WLTA

Big/Sky/Fly: Pistolero by Juno Reactor - WLTA

NMCOT - not my cup of tea
WLTA - would listen to again
HSWAGS - holy shit what a great song

Last edited:
I almost used the song below for the first post in this thread - I never get tired of hearing it. Once, when driving back from a hiking trip, I popped this CD into the tray, and my hiking buddy said, after hearing this song: "Why were you holding back on the good stuff?!" (English needs the interrobang punctuation mark.)

Song: Water Song
Artist: Hot Tuna

Jorma Kaukonen at his absolute finest.

Since I mentioned Gary Hoey in the post above, and talked about his covers, I thought I would follow up with one of his own original compositions.

Song: Motown Fever
Artist: Gary Hoey

Last edited:
Hey tip, what do those codes stand for?

Back