These are a few of my favorite things....

Prometheus 441

Reaction score
I know that I have been absent for awhile but events of late have directed me back.I thought that I would put up this post,in keeping up with the "power of positive emotion" school of thought.So the premise of the thread is to share things with each other that we find as truely special times or things that just make you simply happy.I find that the simplest things are often the ones that bring us the most enjoyment.It will be interested to pop in from time to time and see how this thread is recieved.Personally,I look forward to learning more about my fellow Planteers and hope this helps us feel a bit closer ,in some turbulant times.

I will start with three of my favorite times

1) Being out hunting on a cold morning with fresh snow under foot.

2)Being on a bow of boat,heading out of the harbor,watching the sun break the horizion and the gulls working the bait fish.

3) lying in bed with someone I love,while listening to the rain fall on the roof and knowing that I should have been up a long time ago.

So,thats the list and it may sound corny but trust is all part of the sharing.

P.S. Hawg,if this goes poorly,then delete it quick and put me out of my misery !:p

"That which does not kill us,only makes us stronger".Hm,seems appropriate somehow.

Nah, I'm not going to "put you out of your misery", Prometheus - I've had quite enough of that, lately, thanks.

There are things of beauty in this world that stand out to everybody. Things that define what "home" is like, whether it be your actual home or someplace that just feels like home - a place where you just belong.

One for me would be on a Massachusetts beach, like Nauset or Coast Guard on a perfect day. Maybe the tide is out a little, leaving little tidal flats of scalloped, superfine sand.

The sunlight is bright and warms up the ankle-deep water as I walk through it feeling the firm ribs of sand underneath my feet.

I'm wearing a pair of shades and have a little salty crust on the skin. I'm walking past kids are playing whiffle ball and kites flapping in the breeze. Some more kids over there jumping on skim boards on the flat sand at water's edge.

There's a hot looking girl coming this way with a dark tan and the day-glo yellow/green bikini looks like it is lit from within. I can smell her suntan lotion as she walks by mixed with that unique salt smell that I don't get anywhere else in the world. Maybe it comes from all the seaweed and plankton around Stellwagen or George's Bank and just blows onto shore just for me.

Hawaii, the Caribbean, California - you name it - nothing smells like the ocean off the New England Coast. I've been to a lot of them and have found Massachusetts beaches are severely underrated.

If I could just keep on walking without stopping for food or sleep and the sun would just keep on shining, I might do it.

I might just keep going.

I grew up in the mountains of Montana - and whenever I get a chance to get back there (not as often as I'd like) - it gets harder to leave.

Walking through the tall pines in the summer out in the forest with no sign of civilization in sight is one of my favorite things. There's really no describing all of the sensations that mix together...smell of the trees, rushing of the creeks and singing birds and insects. Compared to living in the city, which I've done for years (and the coolness as lost its charm) - it's pure nirvana out there.

Walking down an old dirt back road winding through the valley I grew up in is pretty damn cool too.

You can do some great thinking out there.

Then again - on a much different sentimental note:

Kickoff on the first game of the season (and the Superbowl if the Pats are in it).

Followed by kickoff for any other game of the season.

For me it's kinda like the feeling I had when I was a kid on Christmas day.

Annihilus...

I've spent almost the last two decades in the northern Rockies of Montana and Wyoming. Here is where I shall likely stay as well.

My playground is the Bighorn Mountains (or Big Horn to those not as much in the know). THIS is the PEAK week of lupine and the symphony of wildflowers. It's a good year too.

I spend a many days (and nights to come when the weather is hotter) prowling these mountains. It's almost too beautiful to describe.....

To walk in a field of these flowers and the only sound you can hear is the wind in the trees. The smell of the forest.

This is what does it for me....

Walking through the park on a clear, crisp New Brunswick late summer/early fall morning, the dew still fresh on the ground, and a nice breeze going through. Bonus points if it's in the forest or along a river or stream.
PtWolfFog.JPG

JPK

I guess I've never been overly big on country living. I can take the beach in small doses (unless Hawgs dream girl is there).

No kidding, my favorite place is Gillette Stadium. I truly look forward to each and every home game the Pats play. It's not just the game, but the comraderie before, during and after. For me, game day is a process that starts the night before and doesn't end until several hours after the game.

Non football, my favorite place is Disney World. There's just something about that place that makes me feel like a kid. I've been 6 times and I never get bored with it.

I guess that I just need to be around people. Sometimes, if my wife wants to go to the mall, I like to just sit and watch people go by. When I'm 80, I'll be the old guy in the park feeding the pigeons.

bideau said:
Non football, my favorite place is Disney World. There's just something about that place that makes me feel like a kid. I've been 6 times and I never get bored with it.
I know what you mean about Disney World. We had a great time there several years ago as well. I actually liked the Magic Kingdom more than Epcot. I guess I'm still a kid at heart.

In all honesty, I suppose like vacations almost anywhere. Possibly it's just having an extended stress free period with the family that I enjoy the most. I can't think of a bad vacation that I've ever had.

(Maybe it's just that I hate working)
:cool:

P.S. Prometheus's choice #3 was pretty good as well.
:thumb:
________
buy volcano vaporizer

1) That feeling of being up and out early in the morning because you're going somewhere really special. I could be the airport heading off on vacation. Maybe you've got an early tee time, or you're heading out on someone's boat for the day. But it's that shiver you get from that odd mix of tired, chilly and excited that always makes me feel a little like I felt heading out of the house on the first day of school.

"That feeling that only a free man can have; that he's going on a journey who's end he cannot know" (or something like that)--Red from Shawshank Redemption

2) The smell of wood fires. Whether it's in the wood stove while I'm watching a Pats game or outside, winter or summer, it always means comfort.

3) Being on a boat. Any boat. Ocean or lake. Particularly late in the day when the sun is bouncing off the surface.

I'll think of others.

I especially like the scenic views as illustrated above when you just happen upon them while hiking or such. Even hiking up Blue Hill I stop about midway up to take a look at the view.

Also, when I'm camping, I love waking up (even if only to fall back asleep) at around 4 or 5 just to listen to nature waking up. Hearing the dew drop off of leaves onto the tent, the occasional crackle of embers in the fire pit, the rustle of various critters stirring, the birds starting the chirp as they wake up, all of it.

I've been to a lot of amazing places in countries all over the world, with my parents, my business, my friends, etc.

There are 3 place/times that stand out for me, however:

#3 - The Gap of Dunlow, Killarney, Ireland, in the drizzle/sun/drizzle/sun/downpour of late May. The harsh, stony hillsides, the famine houses, the unbelievably variable whether...indescribable.
captureD17.jpg

captureD16.jpg

4902_Gap_of_Dunloe_sm.jpg

#2 - Anse Chastanet, Soufriere, St. Lucia, it doesn't matter when...because it is pretty much always 85 degrees and gorgeous. This is a mixed sand beach of volcanic origin, which can't be reached overland (at least without jungle marching). The water is about 50 feet deep at the reef, and you can see the bottom clearly. The "pitons" are visible just around the edge of the cove. Amazing SCUBAing spot, saw some octopus, schools of cornet fish, and the usual tropical kaliediscope. Or just snorkel or swim. The water is just on the refreshing side of "nice bath." And there is a small open air restaurant that has open pit roasts and frozen drinks all day and well into the night.
Absolutely surreal, in spite of my failure to find decent pictures of it.
st_lucia_anse_chastenet_str.jpg

st.lucia.jpg

#1 - Local for many of you: Long Nook Beach, Cape Cod (Oceanside), Massachusetts, on overcast day in October.
There is nothing, anywhere in the world that I've seen that can focus the mind and heart like walking along the dunes at Long Nook Beach. Everything that you have, and everything that you are is positively dwarfed in comparison to the majesty of the ocean and the dunes created by the unending wind and waves. The mist of the shore and the plants holding the sand for dear life work together to grip your heart at least as firmly.

Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures online. Most of you can go see for yourself.

Moebius said:
I especially like the scenic views as illustrated above when you just happen upon them while hiking or such. Even hiking up Blue Hill I stop about midway up to take a look at the view.

Also, when I'm camping, I love waking up (even if only to fall back asleep) at around 4 or 5 just to listen to nature waking up. Hearing the dew drop off of leaves onto the tent, the occasional crackle of embers in the fire pit, the rustle of various critters stirring, the birds starting the chirp as they wake up, all of it.

I just don't get the appeal of camping out. Screw the tents and campfire. Give me an upscale hotel room with AC, honor bar, 100 channels on cable (or sattelite) and a hopping lounge on the first floor. Jacuzzi is a nice bonus :D

The view from the hotel when I was on my honeymoon in Aruba

57691672105_0_ALB.jpg

My favorite view...I can almost hear the waves..

97091672105_0_ALB.jpg

#1 I was never a camper growing up, only started it a few years ago with a friend who's been camping almost her entire life. No matter where we go or who we're with, the highlight always starts as we're sitting around the fire. Life is just so simple at those moments, and I wish it could stay that way. Oh, and pass the beer please :D

#2 Watching a meteor shower or just a really clear and starry sky up in northern New England. City-dwelling obscures the view so often that when I am in the sticks that's usually the first thing I look for. Never gets old.

#3 The first kickoff of an NFL game. 'Nuff said.

1) My wife... I can't live without her.

2) Hanging out with good friends any place.

3) Fishing out on my 30 footer with plenty of beer.

bideau said:
I just don't get the appeal of camping out. Screw the tents and campfire. Give me an upscale hotel room
I've been planning it for weeks. 7 AM flight out, land at about 10 AM PST. Check into my VEGAS hotel about 11 AM. I now have my choice of about 50 lunch buffets before I check out the betting lines for the 7 PM EST ballgames (which start at 4 PM here). I know I'll be busy until Karaoke closes at 4 AM. This is Paradise.

Wow,great responses guys.As far as the camping Bideau,I guess its a matter of preferences but I think the lack of a mini bar is the point of camping,lol.

And remember,better the 80 year old guy feeding pigeons in the park,then the 80 year old guy in the school yard !.lmao ;) :p

bideau said:
I just don't get the appeal of camping out. Screw the tents and campfire. Give me an upscale hotel room with AC, honor bar, 100 channels on cable (or sattelite) and a hopping lounge on the first floor. Jacuzzi is a nice bonus :D

It's the other things that come along with it that I occasionally want to get away from. Like the phone, cell phone, pager, traffic, constant chattering of people, horns honking down on the street, fire alarms at 4 in the morning because some brilliant parents thought it'd be fun to put the kids on one floor and the chaperones on another.

Every once in a while, I'll put up with the downsides of camping (insects, working to get stuff set up, weather) to get away from the world for a while.

here's where I hang out regularly...

I can be there in less than 40 minutes from my house. Yesterday I passed only one vehicle the whole time I was up there.

Now I love camping, but admit we have the best of both worlds. I spend every day I can in these mountains and still sleep in my own bed.

Back