This is not just sad it's...WAY FRIGGIN' WRONG

Reaction score
Foes, soldier's mother counter protesters at funeral

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/13947821.htm

Fringe Kansas church singles out Iraq dead
Associated Press

Six members of a fringe church in Kansas picketed Thursday outside the funeral of a Minnesota soldier who was killed in Iraq, leading to a heated exchange with the grieving mother.

The six men and women, standing outside the Anoka funeral for Cpl. Andrew Kemple, 23, who died Feb. 12 after his vehicle came under fire, are members of a church in Topeka, Kan., that espouses the belief that God is killing American soldiers because they fought for a country that tolerates homosexuality.

They were countered by a group of 20 affiliated with the Patriot Guard Riders, a rapidly growing nationwide movement organized to offset the fringe group's message.

"We're just trying to show honor and respect for families," said John Lutsch, a St. Cloud resident who heads the Minnesota branch of the Patriot Guard. "I was appalled when I read about these protests, that they'd use a solemn occasion like this as a forum for their views."

He was interrupted by Steve Drain, who bellowed that God hates gays and their enablers and "so, therefore, God hates the U.S. military."

According to an account reported by the Minneapolis-based Star Tribune, about a half-hour before the service, Deirdre Ostlund, Kemple's mother, approached the six Kansans and told them in a cold fury: "I'm Andrew's mother and I want you to know you are truly hateful people."

As Ostlund turned away to enter Zion Lutheran Church, Shirley Phelps-Roper taunted her: "Adulterer! You can't admit you sent your own child to hell! If she does not heed this warning, she will look up from hell with him."

Phelps-Roper is the daughter of Fred Phelps, the pastor of the nondenominational Westboro Baptist Church. During the 1990s, church members were known mostly for picketing funerals of AIDS victims.

Minnesota is one of at least 14 states considering laws that would make funeral protests illegal.

The Patriot Guard got its start in Kansas last October when motorcycle-riding veterans became fed up with the Westboro church's picketing and decided to show up and place themselves between the demonstrators and mourners. The organization has grown quickly with chapters in nearly every state and more than 8,700 members, about 100 of them so far in Minnesota, Lutsch said.

Just as the funeral service was starting Thursday, the six Kansans got into their van and drove away as the Patriot Guard mockingly serenaded them, "Hit the road, Jack, and don't you come back no more...."

A few minutes later, Deirdre Ostlund stood before a packed church sanctuary, just to the right of her son's flag-draped coffin.

"Nothing can separate us from the love of God, and Andrew knew that," said Ostlund, of Forest Lake. No matter what he did, God loved him. And now, nothing will ever separate me, or any of us, from Andrew."

Kemple was a 2001 graduate of Cambridge-Isanti High School. Inspired by the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he joined the Army in 2003.

The member of the 101st Airborne Division was the 30th military member from Minnesota to die in Iraq.

If one so called "church" should be burnt with all the members inside, it's the nondenominational Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas.

That's my rant and I'm stickin' to it. :fire:

And may God, Allah, Buddah, etc, etc, bless the Patriot Guard Riders!! :thumb: :thumb:

That is so odd because God told me that he was killing American Soliders because it kinda rhymes with Dolphin Boulders and then my other friend said God told him that he was killing them because of a magic eight ball in heaven, while I have a few Buddist friends saying that there is no God and that they are being punished for cutting down trees.

All this time and I thought God didn't kill people. That maybe other soliders were killing them. Crazy. I guess in their books God uses hurricanes and tornados and floods to kill people. This makes me wonder if God has too much time on her hands. . . or maybe some people do.

Ottawapatty said:
This makes me wonder if God has too much time on her hands. . .

Not to go off topic but, I believe God is more female than male.

What other reason is there for the expression "life's a bitch"? o:)

Deirdre Ostlund, Kemple's mother, approached the six Kansans and told them in a cold fury: "I'm Andrew's mother and I want you to know you are truly hateful people."

As Ostlund turned away to enter Zion Lutheran Church, Shirley Phelps-Roper taunted her: "Adulterer! You can't admit you sent your own child to hell! If she does not heed this warning, she will look up from hell with him."

if Ms Ostland simply turned on the hoebag , Shirley Phelps-Roper, pulled a handgun from her purse and gave her 2-in-the-hat, no Red-Blooded-Real-American jury would ever convict her of anything.....not even spitting on the sidewalk after she pulled the trigger......twice

These are the same lunatics that showed up at the Matthew Shepard funeral and the subsequent trial for his killers. They were shown in HBO's The Laramie Project.

If there is a hell, there's a special place reserved for them for all the hate that they try to spread.

I saw these idiots on CNN the other night. They're those crazy "blow up abortion clinic" types.

Luckily some old Vet gome some people together and tried to drown out their BS by singing the Star Spangled Banner and shit. :thumb:

Some people "love" God so much they should be given a one way ticket to go hang out with him so he can deal with their crap and the rest of us don't have to.

That vile group came here for a soldier's funeral a couple of months ago. They may profess to be christians, but a special place in hell should await them for putting these families, who have already suffered enough, through this crap in the name of their "cause".:fire:

I believe Howard Stern used to have one particular family on that belonged to this church. He called them the "god hates fags family". They are pretty out there.

I don't understand how they aren't arrested everytime they do this. This has to be disturbing the peace at the very least.

I'd ride with THESE GUYS anyday. As long as they don't mind that I "ride" a minivan.

Sadly these idiots pulled the same stunt here in Indiana a few months ago. There is an organization out here called the Peace and justice commission who did step up against this group. To the point that they stood in a linked arm line to prevent the idiotic protest from interfering with the funeral

Welcome to America's own Taliban. The conservative Christians and the rest of their ilk are no better than the Taliban, and worse in some ways because most Americans are educated to the point they should know better.

While I am as as strongly against the Bush government and Iraq war as you could possibly imagine, if these shitheads come to RI I will help beat them to a bloody pulp.

Nothing like a bunch of idiots who want us to go back and live in the dark ages again. ****ing religious fascist pieces of crap.

Here's a small pic from "The laramie Project".

This is how the town's people dealt with these hate mongers. It's similar to the way that other groups have handled it. By peacefully creating a shield between the grieving families and the idiots.

The Big Lebowski said:
I don't understand how they aren't arrested everytime they do this. This has to be disturbing the peace at the very least.

I agree with the sentiment that these people are insensitve a-holes who should leave the grieving families alone.

However, having freedom of speech means that idiots have a right to be insensitve a-holes.

The real test of freedom of speech is how we deal with speech we totaly disagree with or find repulsive.

It's easy to support speech we agree with, it's much harder to support the other end of the spectrum.

As a general rule, I am hesitant to ask the government to decide what speech is and isn't allowed.

I recognize there are limits on free speech. You cannot shout fire in a crowded theater, nor incite people to riot.

In both those examples there is a direct relationship between your words and physical injury of others.

I'm hesitant to have the police halt speech because it is deemed "offensive" to an agrieved party even if I agree that the speech is in fact offensive.

You know, if someone were to show up at one of these protests with a bat and start crackin heads, the cops would probably handcuff you. Put you in the back of a squad car. Drive you two blocks away. Get out shake your hand and let you go on your way. :D

Kind of makes you wonder what God is all about. People are like the God they worship. I don't believe in this God of the protest group.

patfanallan said:
Kind of makes you wonder what God is all about. People are like the God they worship. I don't believe in this God of the protest group.

Not sure if you checked out the Mormon Scum thread, but it's title is very deceiving. Excellent and civil discussion about theological beliefs.

The Big Lebowski said:
I'd ride with THESE GUYS anyday. As long as they don't mind that I "ride" a minivan.

They'll welcome you with open arms, as long as they can stow some of their gear in your minivan.

99.999999-ad infinitum % of the bikers I've met are the best kind of people you could ever hope to meet.

Alcoholic9 said:
You know, if someone were to show up at one of these protests with a bat and start crackin heads,

I was going to post that if they want to come to Maine, I have a bat that will greet them. I also know a few lobstermen that could use some free bait for their traps.

#54 said:

I was going to post that if they want to come to Maine, I have a bat that will greet them. I also know a few lobstermen that could use some free bait for their traps.
ROFL

RG, you're sig made me realize something, to heck with the bat, those three Patriots SB rings would do a wicked good amount of damage. >)

Back