Throwing you a bone, midgar

Reaction score
Because I didn't want to post this in the main forum and have you explode because you couldn't respond to it:

"Quarterbacks Responsible for Taking Sacks

I had a mini-glut of correspondence last week on quarterbacks who brought the most sacks on themselves or, to put it another way, those players who took too long to throw and got taken down or simply ran straight into a defender when other options were available.

Four seconds is the time over which we say the QB takes responsibility, but this excludes instances where they were pressured within that limit, had to take evasive action with no opportunity to throw the ball away, but got taken down after it.

As requested, here is the full list of “QB Responsible Sacks” which includes the playoffs (minimum 300+ drop-backs), and to add additional value I’ve also included the number of hits and pressures which we have logged as being down to that player too.

Worst = Jake Locker....387 drop backs, 8 sacks, 2.1% sack rate, 1 Hit, 0 Pressures

NFL Average........................................... ......0.7% sack rate

Andrew Luck = ...........813 drop backs, 4 sacks, 0.5% sack rate, 0 Hit, 3 Pressures
(Luck was 19th from the bottom better than the NFL average)

What I thought would be interesting was to see if that holds any weight by looking at only plays in which the QB took over four seconds. Would some of the guys at the top of the list also be those who did the best? As QB rating is a blunt instrument at the best of times (never mind on smaller sample sets), though I included it, on this occasion I ranked players using our un-normalized ratings per drop-back.

# 1 Andrew Luck...116 drop backs, 67 attempts, 26 completions, 441 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 71.8 QB Rating, + 20.5 PFF Rating, 0.177 PFF Rating per Drop Back over 4.0 seconds

# 2 Jake Locker......65 drop backs, 26 attempts, 13 completions, 250 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 80.6 QB Rating, + 10.5 PFF Rating, 0.162 PFF Rating per Drop Back over 4.0 seconds

# 3 Kevin Kolb........32 drop backs, 17 attempts, 09 completions, 159 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 85.2 QB Rating, + 5.0 PFF Rating, 0.156 PFF Rating per Drop Back over 4.0 seconds

# 6 Peyton Manning.28 drop backs, 22 attempts, 13 completions, 138 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 58.5 QB Rating, + 4.0 PFF Rating, 0.143 PFF Rating per Drop Back over 4.0 seconds

NFL Average........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .....0.075 PFF Rating per Drop Back over 4.0 seconds

# 31 Tom Brady......61 drop backs, 47 attempts, 11 completions, 136 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 60.9 QB Rating, + 0.5 PFF Rating, 0.008 PFF Rating per Drop Back over 4.0 seconds

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/neils-nfl-daily-may-20-2013/

I have no idea what any of that means? Brady caused the most sacks?

Oh wait no I went to the page, you didnt post that one, this was after the Qb holds the ball more than 4 seconds.....If Brady has to hold the ball more than 4 seconds he is about to get killed....Brady does not do that often though as he was the fastest at getting rid of the ball of any other Qb.

Also I cannot even make sense of it....Brady has 3 td 0 ints is way down the list Peyton has a worse Qb rating no td's 1 int and is 6th? I guess they used a dart board to rank them....By the looks of the Qb's around the top, not sure that is where I would want to be. lol

Sometimes guys will wisely take a sack instead of throwing desperation attempts resulting in a pick. When they do that they end up ranked badly on this statistic and greatest in the history of the world in their int stats. :shrug_n:

Cheers

Sometimes guys will wisely take a sack instead of throwing desperation attempts resulting in a pick. When they do that they end up ranked badly on this statistic and greatest in the history of the world in their int stats. :shrug_n:

Cheers

Brady takes bone headed sacks sometimes but IMO he is also one of the best at acknowledging a dead play turtling for a sack to keep the drive alive.

As a Steelers fan and Brady hater, even my Dad recognizes this often.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Brady takes bone headed sacks sometimes but IMO he is also one of the best at acknowledging a dead play turtling for a sack to keep the drive alive.

Again, I cannot figure out the scoring system on that link, but...Brady does not take many sacks...most of the time the ball is out way before a defender can get there, he was the best in the league at that last year...But Brady also does not run around either, its drop back find the best target and throw....some QB's do not have a great ability to make quick decisions, so they have to wait for a play to open up....if you go into the link that was provided you will see in the first stat thing they did that Brady was one of the best at not causing a sack....Rodgers was actually one of the worst...

How dare you come into Midgar's house and diss Tom Brady....

How dare you.... :cuss::cuss::cuss:

Back