Trivia Game: Coaches with the best records

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
Don't look it up online. Try to see how many you can guess, I'll post the answers the day after tomorrow at around the same time as this.

1. Who are the top 10 active coaches in the NFL, in terms of regular season wins?

2. Who are the top 10 active coaches in the NFL, in terms of regular season win percentage?

Post your guesses, explain why Coach X,Y, or Z is overrated despite being on one or both lists, what coaches are top 10 coaches despite not appearing on either list, you name it.

I'll follow this up with questions regarding playoff wins, so don't look up anything re: coaching records, if you do you're only cheating yourself.

1. Bill, Payton, Tomlin, Reid, Carroll

2 Bill Tomlin, Payton, Tomlin, McVie, Riech

Reid over rated for being a poor game manager but a great offensive mind

tomlin sucks and over-rated and I hope he coaches the steelers for 40 more years

McVie and Reich are syill young, I think Reich is a long term better coach,

For total wins, I'm pretty sure Reid is #2. The remainder of the list has to be veteran coaches, longevity equals win totals.

I'd say BB, Reid, Payton, Carroll, Tomlin (1-5)
Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, Garrett, Rivera, Quinn (6-10).
After that, it's really a crap shoot and we're likely talking about coaches with less than 5 years.

Win percentage? I won't even bother trying to guess.

The win percentage one is definitely harder than the total wins, so here's a few hints:

4 of the top 5 in win totals are also in the top 10 for win percentage
1 more out of the top 10 in win totals cracks the top 10 in win percentage, which includes everyone at .600 or better
The rest of the top 10 in win percentage could be described as the "new hotness", and is guys who have coached for 3 years or less and found success
Only one of those 5 has ever missed the playoffs in their small sample size of a coaching career so far

So just think "who are hot new coaches who made the playoffs" and you'll likely get 3 of those, combine it with the top 5 in win totals and getting 7 out of 10 should be pretty doable. Getting more than that would be impressive. Getting the order right would be insanely impressive but I'm not expecting anyone to do so, I certainly would not have

Don't look it up online. Try to see how many you can guess, I'll post the answers the day after tomorrow at around the same time as this.

1. Who are the top 10 active coaches in the NFL, in terms of regular season wins?

2. Who are the top 10 active coaches in the NFL, in terms of regular season win percentage?

Post your guesses, explain why Coach X,Y, or Z is overrated despite being on one or both lists, what coaches are top 10 coaches despite not appearing on either list, you name it.

I'll follow this up with questions regarding playoff wins, so don't look up anything re: coaching records, if you do you're only cheating yourself.

I certainly won't be a spoiler, but I had great fun checking it out. :hello:

Cheers, :toast:

Most wins:

1. Bill Belichick: 261-123 (.680)
2. Andy Reid: 195-124-1 (.611)
3. Mike Tomlin: 125-66-1 (.654)
4. Pete Carroll: 122-85-1 (.589)
5. Sean Payton: 118-74 (.615)
6. John Harbaugh: 104-72 (.591)
7. Jon Gruden: 99-93 (.516)
8. Jason Garrett: 77-59 (.566)
9. Ron Rivera: 71-56-1 (.559)
10. Bruce Arians: 49-30-1 (.619)

Win percentage:

1. Sean McVay: 24-8 (.750)
1. Matt Nagy: 12-4 (.750)
3. Bill Belichick: 261-123 (.680)
4. Mike Tomlin: 125-66-1 (.654)
5. Anthony Lynn: 21-12 (.636)
6. Frank Reich: 10-6 (.625)
7. Bruce Arians: 49-30-1 (.619)
8. Sean Payton: 118-74 (.615)
9. Andy Reid: 195-124-1 (.611)
10. Doug Pederson: 29-19 (.604)

I'm stunned Arians is on both lists. If he brings Tampa Bay to the playoffs, I may have to start paying attention to him as a legitimately good coach. I expect at Least one of the "new hotness" coaches to be gone from that second list by the end of the year. And I think Tomlin is higher on both lists than one would expect based on how often he is disparaged.

Most wins:
I'm stunned Arians is on both lists.

I'm not, simply because he's a colossal bullshitter who has falsely convinced people he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. "Quarterback Whisperer", my ass. He benefited from Luck's first season in Indy, which gave him ridiculous and undeserved media love and attention which he's never lost.

If he brings Tampa Bay to the playoffs, I may have to start paying attention to him as a legitimately good coach.

Don't count on it. The Cardinals definitely improved under him (which is why he had the job long enough to be on your lists), and he's not completely incompetent. He's not a guy who goes 2-14 and gets fired immediately. But his act wears thin, he's not strategically smart as a coach, and the way he throws his players under the bus to the media makes me wish someone would kick his ass. Take your tough guy act and shove it.

I will respect him...if he can get worthless Jameis Winston playing on a high level. Good Luck with that though...

I will respect him...if he can get worthless Jameis Winston playing on a high level. Good Luck with that though...

He has to get Winston in the gym first.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-25-at-9.14.01-AM.png

Round 2!

1. What are the 10 coaches with the most Playoff wins?

2. What are the 10 coaches with the best winning record in the playoffs?

In some ways this is easier but there may be a few surprises in there!

Back