UFL will use high-tech system for calling plays

KnowMo2724

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/12/ufl-will-use-high-tech-system-for-calling-plays/

The coach-to-quarterback radio system could soon be going the way of the Tyrannosaurus Rex (and/or the Rocky Mountain News), if a technological advancement to be used this year by the UFL catches on.

Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald takes a look at a new system for sending plays from the head coach to the quarterback.

From the sidelines, the coach presses a button, which then sends an encrypted (except in Foxborough) message to the quarterback's wrist band. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

The wrist band then displays the play to be called.

The device, called the ID Coach (the name is nearly as lame as "Twitter") has been invented by the Isaac Daniel Group, and it'll be used by the fledgling UFL.

'To be honest, I thought it was going to be a total gimmick when I heard about it,'' UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue told Darlington. "So when we went in there with our coaches, we were blown away. We thought it was an incredible concept.''

So do we.

Though the Luddites who still use typewriters and turntables might opt to craft manifestos aimed at the evils of Maddenizing the NFL, the Rubicon was crossed years ago, when coaches began to usurp from quarterbacks the function of calling plays. So regardless of whether the play is shuttled from the sidelines via a player or by hand signals or by radio or by two tin cans with a taut string or by mental telepathy, the essence of the game -- i.e., the coach calls the plays, not the quarterback -- won't change.

If there's a way to do it more efficiently, then the UFL, the NFL, and even college football should embrace it.
Pretty cool idea IMO.

Sounds a bit complicated and if it goes out in a game all hell breaks lose and then people like you will cry about conspiracies and make excuses.

"which then sends an encrypted (except in Foxborough) message to the quarterback's wrist band"

One word... "decryption".

Goofy idea. The losers will just have to go back to blaming everything on the refs.

Sounds a bit complicated and if it goes out in a game all hell breaks lose and then people like you will cry about conspiracies and make excuses.

There was a game last year where Cutler couldn't hear the plays being called and he had to run to Shanahan to get the play and then run back to the huddle.

No big deal.

There was a game last year where Cutler couldn't hear the plays being called and he had to run to Shanahan to get the play and then run back to the huddle.

No big deal.

Pats lost play calling ability with the sideline twice in 07, here is the kicker..if that happens, they take it away from both sides, there is no benifit of having it happen.

Pats lost play calling ability with the sideline twice in 07, here is the kicker..if that happens, they take it away from both sides, there is no benifit of having it happen.
:blink: That didn't happen in the Denver game.:donkeys:

:blink: That didn't happen in the Denver game.:donkeys:

I didnt say it did, it happened in an eagle game actually, the point is, if they lose communication, both sides lose communication.

Here is an idea, just take it away all together and send players in with the plays like they use too...That way the Matt Walsh's of the world wouldn't determine the outcomes of games.

Here is an idea, just take it away all together and send players in with the plays like they use too...That way the Matt Walsh's of the world wouldn't determine the outcomes of games.

Matt Walsh has never determined the outcome of a single game.

Walsh left in 03, I guess he didnt determine much the pats won just as many after he left.

Walsh left in 03, I guess he didnt determine much the pats won just as many after he left.

thats because they had Matt Estrella...OH by the way...has anyone heard or seen thise guys ?

I guess Shanahan can't steal....oh wait a seconds, Shanahan got firedROFL

Prove it.. anyone can make accusations, it's another thing to back it up with evidence.

dumb dumb was on a movie soundtrack once, he knows what he's talking aboutROFL

Prove it.. anyone can make accusations, it's another thing to back it up with evidence.

What accusation !!!....it pretty damn obvious the tapes were used during the games and thats why Roger Goodell and Kraft destroyed everything before even another NFL owner could watch them and sqarshed any investigation because it would definately have been proven they were used and that would destroy 7 years of the Integrity of the NFL...

maybe you might try and explain what other reason Belichikc* and Kraft would risk their reputations and Legacies to keep doing it, if it had bo effect on the outcome of a game ?...

Maybe while your at it think of this sinerio.....its the 4th qtr...Pats down by 7 and BB* has access 5' away his opponants defensive playcalls and knows what signals & defenses....and refused to utilize this info...right there in his face to win a game...

your a fvcking fool if you think for a second he didn't utilize that taping at the same time risking his career, reputation & 40 year Legacy...

Back