UMass, moving on up

Box_O_Rocks

One personality, many pieces
Reaction score
The Mid-American Conference (MAC) announced today the addition of the University of Massachusetts (UMass) as a football only member, which will increase the conference football membership to 14 universities. UMass will begin conference play for the 2012 football season and will be eligible for the conference football championship game and a bowl game beginning in the 2013 football season. "The University of Massachusetts will add to the academic stature of the Mid-American Conference and bring a strong tradition and depth to our conference," said Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher, Commissioner of the Mid-American Conference. "The UMass football program will add quality to our conference's football programs and balance our divisions. In addition, this addition allows our conference to expand our footprint into New England and into the Boston and Hartford/Springfield markets." Over the last 13 years, UMass football captured five conference champions and participated in five NCAA FCS/I-AA Tournaments, winning the 1998 National Championship. UMass had seven players on NFL rosters in 2010, including NFL Second-Round Draft pick Vladimir Ducasse with the New York Jets. "We feel the time is right for this landmark decision of UMass football elevating to the FBS level," said University of Massachusetts Athletic Director John McCutcheon. "Playing in the FBS is where UMass should be positioned as the flagship campus of the state system. The opportunities to play on a national level and what that means for exposure and visibility will be a tremendous asset not only for athletics, but for the entire university. We are extremely excited about the opportunity to join the Mid-American Conference and develop relationships and rivalries with its members. To have the opportunity to play those games at a state-of-the-art facility like Gillette Stadium really is one of the key factors that makes this transition possible." - MAC football

Good for them. I just heard today that they will be playing their home games in Gillette after the move. That'll be a good take once in awhile.

Bob Kraft had an important role in making it happen.

One of the big stories in New England this week is the University of Massachusetts announcing that it will join the Mid-American Conference for football, which means it is moving up a division.

UMass, which currently plays in the Division I FCS subdivision, will play a full FBS and MAC schedule starting in 2012. Games will be at Gillette Stadium.

In an "On College Football" piece in Thursday's Boston Globe, reporter Mark Blaudschun writes on Patriots owner Robert Kraft's role in making the move happen.

"When University of Massachusetts administrators asked Kraft for help in their quest to elevate the program from the FCS to the FBS level, Kraft not only helped, he made the biggest donation any backer could: He gave them Gillette Stadium rent-free. For the foreseeable future," Blaudschun writes. "... UMass came up a winner, and the man who deserves the most credit for that is Bob Kraft."

Blaudschun notes that as part of the agreement, Kraft will receive a share of revenue when/if crowds come. Last year's UMass/New Hampshire game at Gillette Stadium, which drew 32,848, was a promising sign in that regard.

One additional benefit for Kraft is that hosting games at Gillette Stadium could create more foot traffic at Patriot Place, the 1.3 million square feet of shopping, dining, and entertainment around the stadium.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...id/4695119/krafts-role-in-umass-football-move

Ah, my Alma Mata playing right up the street in Foxboro.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I used to have to catch them when they played URI in Kingston, RI.<ST1:p<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Now, I can catch them, whoever they are playing.

Woot!<O:p</O:p

Back