Way Under the Radar Patriots 2022 - OL Drew Desjarlais

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Watching highlight films of Offensive Linemen might not be a terrifically productive use of time, but, this morning, I was thinking about potential summer surprises on our roster and one of the more obscure guys has to be ex-CFL all-star Guard Drew Desjarlais who is listed as our 2nd string LG behind Cole Strange. I thought I had looked for clips of him, but when I went back to double check I found the one included below and, while it doesn't prove anything, it does give a clear indication of why our guys were interested in Desjarlais. What I see is a guy who has a wide base, solid mechanics and decent athleticism, but his best trait would seem to be pure power in his core including what appears to be a Thor's hammer thunderous hand punch. In the film he serves up more pancakes in 4 minutes than an IHOP. He dominates.

He doesn't look like the biggest guy in the world, but, at first glance, I would call him a legitimate NFL prospect who I'm officially invested in watching. I see some Stephen Neal in his game.

We're in the doldrums of the off-season prior to camp, so take a look if you like and tell me what you see. If anyone else would like to nominate another relative unknown that'd be great.

View: https://youtu.be/NcfuyVRiuqc

Watching highlight films of Offensive Linemen might not be a terrifically productive use of time, but, this morning, I was thinking about potential summer surprises on our roster and one of the more obscure guys has to be ex-CFL all-star Guard Drew Desjarlais who is listed as our 2nd string LG behind Cole Strange. I thought I had looked for clips of him, but when I went back to double check I found the one included below and, while it doesn't prove anything, it does give a clear indication of why our guys were interested in Desjarlais. What I see is a guy who has a wide base, solid mechanics and decent athleticism, but his best trait would seem to be pure power in his core including what appears to be a Thor's hammer thunderous hand punch. In the film he serves up more pancakes in 4 minutes than an IHOP. He dominates.

He doesn't look like the biggest guy in the world, but, at first glance, I would call him a legitimate NFL prospect who I'm officially invested in watching. I see some Stephen Neal in his game.

We're in the doldrums of the off-season prior to camp, so take a look if you like and tell me what you see. If anyone else would like to nominate another relative unknown that'd be great.

2 minutes into the film and I have a question: Does the CFL have different rules for holding than the NFL?

Edit: Looks like good motor and aggressiveness. Plays past the whistle (looks like, no sound).

Actually he could be the diamond in the rough. If not, then they only lose a a TC body that they would cut anyway. Looking at his bio, at 6-2 and 312, he's not that small and show good movement to pull.

2 minutes into the film and I have a question: Does the CFL have different rules for holding than the NFL?

Edit: Looks like good motor and aggressiveness. Plays past the whistle (looks like, no sound).

I dunno about CFL rules and it did look like he was holding on a couple of snaps, but watching that display I really don't think
he has to hold to get the job done. Cole Strange looked like he was holding at times in College and the Senior Bowl. Everybody
looks like they hold now and then if you watch them playing multiple snaps.

Let's just say that I project that we should be hearing some good reports about him in Training Camp. I know it's the CFL, but this
guy has some tools and may surprise.

It might be time for James Ferentz to start his coaching career a little earlier than he planned. Our bench depth appears better between
the Canadian Crusher and the late draft guys Hines and Steuber.

I dunno about CFL rules and it did look like he was holding on a couple of snaps, but watching that display I really don't think
he has to hold to get the job done. Cole Strange looked like he was holding at times in College and the Senior Bowl. Everybody
looks like they hold now and then if you watch them playing multiple snaps.

Let's just say that I project that we should be hearing some good reports about him in Training Camp. I know it's the CFL, but this
guy has some tools and may surprise.

It might be time for James Ferentz to start his coaching career a little earlier than he planned. Our bench depth appears better between
the Canadian Crusher and the late draft guys Hines and Steuber.

The "Neal" comparison is a good one.

This definitely isn't our most talented team of all time, but the quality of players that the Patriots are going to end up cutting this year is extremely high at a number of positions, including WR, RB, and IOL.

I'm interested to see more OL film on some of our new additions.

This definitely isn't our most talented team of all time, but the quality of players that the Patriots are going to end up cutting this year is extremely high at a number of positions, including WR, RB, and IOL.

I'm interested to see more OL film on some of our new additions.

You are likely right on the talent aspect. High end anyway.

Yet the the best years for this organization had little in the way of what others would view as All World talent at every position. Yet top to bottom quality players and depth. That is what I see being built once again here.

And that concept Bill rocks is precisely what gives the football world fits. They just can't figure out how such a thing can happen.

After 2001 I thought deeply on this concept and rearranged the hiring practices for my company and the following years were the best years.

My favorite employee ever was not a superstar diva. He was a guy who I hired in the midst of a flurry of hiring for a big project. Like a number of the other new painters he was in no way worth the pay he was hired at. As I started firing those guys he came to me and he loved working in the culture I had of respect i had created. He said he is not worth what I'm paying him, and asked me to pay him what I thought he was worth and please teach him everything I could to make him indispensable and worth as much as he is capable of.

Julian Edelman level heart who reached Randy Moss level skill. All the way through I did things like send he and his wife on dinner cruises on Lake Winnipesaukee and more. I love the guy.

Not calling you out cuz I know you know what I'm talking about.

How many rings were won with Randy Moss level talent at various positions?

I see the core being young and very talented and the rest is filling out nicely.

To the future of success and for the long haul we go. :patpatriot32:

It's great seeing a thread about the OL. It's been ignored too long. Thanks for starting it Hawg.
I don't have the trained eye nor the inclination/time to learn the nuances of O line play. Admittedly, recognizing bad play & technique has always been enough for me.

This thread has potential to last.

As for Desjarlais, after watching the video, Aloyouis is right, he looks like a Sumo wrestler out there at times. Those bear hugs he puts on people won't fly in the NFL. He also gets his hands outside the shoulders way too often. OTOH, he has a suddenness to a powerful pop to lay a guy out before giving him a chance to brace. It's reminiscent of a LB putting a down and out karate pop on a ball carrier. Power at the point of attack surely isn't a problem for him. Train him to NFL specs and maybe we have a player.

You are likely right on the talent aspect. High end anyway.

Yet the the best years for this organization had little in the way of what others would view as All World talent at every position. Yet top to bottom quality players and depth. That is what I see being built once again here.

And that concept Bill rocks is precisely what gives the football world fits. They just can't figure out how such a thing can happen.

After 2001 I thought deeply on this concept and rearranged the hiring practices for my company and the following years were the best years.

My favorite employee ever was not a superstar diva. He was a guy who I hired in the midst of a flurry of hiring for a big project. Like a number of the other new painters he was in no way worth the pay he was hired at. As I started firing those guys he came to me and he loved working in the culture I had of respect i had created. He said he is not worth what I'm paying him, and asked me to pay him what I thought he was worth and please teach him everything I could to make him indispensable and worth as much as he is capable of.

Julian Edelman level heart who reached Randy Moss level skill. All the way through I did things like send he and his wife on dinner cruises on Lake Winnipesaukee and more. I love the guy.

Not calling you out cuz I know you know what I'm talking about.

How many rings were won with Randy Moss level talent at various positions?

I see the core being young and very talented and the rest is filling out nicely.

To the future of success and for the long haul we go. :patpatriot32:
Belichick is always and forever a teacher first, a strategian second, and a tactician last and, compared to the other two, almost incidentally. Every year they count on the most year/year improvement coming from player development.

Belichick is always and forever a teacher first, a strategian second, and a tactician last and, compared to the other two, almost incidentally. Every year they count on the most year/year improvement coming from player development.

So, one of my brothers has already conceded the division to Buffalo and I told him that he's nuts. There are too many variables to take what happened last year and project it forward and Bill understands that every season, actually every day and every hour in it, has it's own lessons to impart. He knows that each team has to find it's leaders du jour and reputations and past track
records are no sure predictor of future success. It is that existential approach to football that is, to me, the single most important reason why we've been as successful as we have been. No other team in the league does it quite the same way. Not a single one. Shit changes.

I think Buffalo could be really good, but its a fine line from year-to-year and nobody can convince me that we are inferior to them until we strap it up. It might be the opposite of what
everybody thinks.

Bill taught me that.

Plus, it's stratageritist.

Back