Week 11 Gamete Thread - @ Atlanta (Thursday Night)

Fair enough and I agree with that, and sometimes it's just partly a matter of talent. I think questioning and nit picking every play call is what makes us such both great and terrible fans, mostly great though. If someone on the outside or fair weather fan took all the comments from the last 20+ years about Weis, O'Brien, McD, and BB at points, they would probably think we have the worst OC's and play calling in the league over that time.
And the worst GM. A lot of the cues taken by the haters are myths concocted by some of our own fans.

Overall, Weis was hands down the best OC for me. Not even close. I think McD is better than O'Brien, but I honestly didn't see a ton of difference between the two when Brady was here, which tells me Brady was really the one running the show, which we later would learn, not that it was a surprise. It was only when McD came back that things started to change. We added a fullback for example. Where, prior to his 2nd stint, a guy like Lousaka Polite as some half baked midseason addition in 2011 was the closest thing to a FB this team had since an aging Larry Centers in 2003. I never considered Heath Evans as a classic FB. He was more of a bigger halfback that was technically a roster spot waste. Ironically, Polite, I think was active in SB 46, where if they'd used him a bit and giving BJGE more carries in that game than just the 9 carries, the Pats win that SB. Ugh.

Once we started seeing the use of the FB back in this offense, with more true in line TE blocking as well, that's when this offense became more balanced and McD was a better playcaller because of it.

I honestly think a big reason why BB asked McD back, not only because he needed a job, but to give an outside assessment of what he was seeing after being away. That assessment element took a year to shift away from, as noted in Mike Lombardi's book where he gave an accurate and somewhat scathing review of the offense's flaws in that era.

Just my .02 on it.

I liked Weis ok and he was probably good for Brady's development. The offense was a lot simpler then and the rules helping the QB weren't in effect either.

The offense today is more varied and complicated than it was in Weis's day. For me, McD seems much smarter as an OC than Weis was. He's showing far more creativity as the game has evolved from the spread days with Moss to the TE days with Gronk and Ahern along with the FB to clear paths. McD isn't perfect, I'm not saying he is, but for me he gets pretty damn high grades since he came back. We won our share of games, even in '19 when Brady didn't want to play along.

I liked Weis ok and he was probably good for Brady's development. The offense was a lot simpler then and the rules helping the QB weren't in effect either.

The offense today is more varied and complicated than it was in Weis's day. For me, McD seems much smarter as an OC than Weis was. He's showing far more creativity as the game has evolved from the spread days with Moss to the TE days with Gronk and Ahern along with the FB to clear paths. McD isn't perfect, I'm not saying he is, but for me he gets pretty damn high grades since he came back. We won our share of games, even in '19 when Brady didn't want to play along.
I think it's important to note that for every OC in the league calling plays on gameday, there's a DC on the other side trying to get into his head and figure out what he's doing.

Sometimes, the DC wins that battle.

I am not sure what you said. Or how it relates to my post, but hell YES we are on a 5 game winning streak!

:):p:beagle3::dith::rolleyes::cool::geek::dance::dancinglock::banana::beer:
Shit, I don't know what I'm saying while I'm typing it. You can't expect me to remember two days later. I think it might have been complaints about Mac Jones' winning doesn't count because he is completing short passes instead of long ones - the same knock as on Brady. Or it might have been about South Carolina's mustard-and-vinegar-based BBQ sauce vs North Carolina's tomato-and-vinegar-based BBQ sauce. IDK :shrug-n:

I don't see red sleeves anywhere so must be Judon.

You can't really tell, but the body type looks like a DL and based on the tape on the shoes I think it is probably Barmore.

Since Barmore spent most of the night dwarf-tossing their Center, Matt Hennessey and then sorting though their backfield for
whoever had the ball. If it was Barmore, I could see why they tried some extra bodies, but that was hilarious.

Hennessey had one of the roughest nights I've seen a center have in a while. Everybody was just killing him.

There was a play when our old friend Duron Harmon came free up the A gap on a delayed blitz, at a dead sprint. Mac saw it, retreated smoothly with his eyes downfield and made the completion for a first down. That calm, decision-making, and execution is rarely seen in any QB, never mind in a rookie. It was quietly an unbelievable play.

I don't see red sleeves anywhere so must be Judon.
I think that was actually Barmore. That kid is going to be serious DT threat. He's already super disruptive in the pass and against the run. But man, he is an absolute beast.

You can't really tell, but the body type looks like a DL and based on the tape on the shoes I think it is probably Barmore.

Since Barmore spent most of the night dwarf-tossing their Center, Matt Hennessey and then sorting though their backfield for
whoever had the ball. If it was Barmore, I could see why they tried some extra bodies, but that was hilarious.

Hennessey had one of the roughest nights I've seen a center have in a while. Everybody was just killing him.
Barmore is going to be a great DT, I think.

There was a play when our old friend Duron Harmon came free up the A gap on a delayed blitz, at a dead sprint. Mac saw it, retreated smoothly with his eyes downfield and made the completion for a first down. That calm, decision-making, and execution is rarely seen in any QB, never mind in a rookie. It was quietly an unbelievable play.
Yes. Cool play. But it did look like he was sorta simultaneously making the throw and ducking the hit. :rofl:

Cheers, BostonTim

If I remember right, that was a 3rd and 5 and Mac got it safely through traffic to Meyers, who made one of his patented six-inches-off-the-turf catches for a first. I guess Brady firing all those darts
at his feet in 2019 paid off, because, for a tall guy, Jakobi can really go low.

It was an eye-popping completion. Harmon came in on him really fast and I assumed it would be a sack. Nobody is going to make that big of a deal of it, because it was still a 6 yard gain, but.......Mac is on top of stuff that he really has no business being on top of right now.

Back