What are your favorite comic strips?

TipRoast

The years teach much which the days never know.
Reaction score
For me (and for many others) the all-time best comic strip is Calvin and Hobbes.

But there are many others that I've enjoyed over the years.

Doonesbury and The Far Side are classics. Bloom County could make me laugh out loud at times.

Zits and Foxtrot too. I was into Dilbert for a while. And Arlo & Janis sometimes seemed to capture scenes straight out of my life.

Some of the older strips that I enjoyed are Tank McNamara and Shoe (especially when Batson D. Belfry appeared).

I'll close with one of my favorite all-time strips. If you're so inclined, post some of your own favorites.

1616395193163.png

To this day, members of my family still say "By my troth, I am off" whenever one of us leaves the house.

Calvin and Hobbes is definitely my favorite of all time. Bill Waterston used to publish a book of strips every year and my mom always bought me the newest one for Christmas and I would devour it in a day. Great memories.

A close second for me is Bloom County. "Ack!!!" :)

Love Peanuts also.

Since you went there in the op ... Calvin and Hobbes is the best...

Been a while since i've read it, but Order of the Stick was pretty effing funny

Beetle Bailey. When I was in the service, one of the strips had General Halftrack get into a head on collision and he is yelling at the other driver that if he was staring at Miss Buxley like he was the accident would never have happened. I had that in a photo album until I lost the album. It always showed me that stupid leaders always tell the underlings that if only the underlings had done stupid stuff like the leaders, everything would work out well. Plus I thought it was hilarious.

Bill the Cat is my favorite comic character ever, so Bloom County is up there. ACK!
The Far Side I like... pretty obtuse though.
Who doesn't love C and H?
I am dating myself but Lil Abner was always a favorite, and that strip was cutting edge satire all the way.

Oldies are here.

Pogo

Walt Kelly

Brilliant

Oldies are here.

Pogo

Walt Kelly

Brilliant
Talkin to myself

Back when I first saw C&H I immediately saw a resemblance both art and tone wise to Pogo. Turns out Bill M found a pogo book early on and was indeed highly influenced. Also influenced. by Peanuts

Bill the cat was mentioned earlier, as was bloom county in the op... Bloom County was a great strip... It was pretty funny with the laughs scattered amongst the social commentary that was very prevalent...

Doonesbury is a good one... But I never really read it as a kid, as the humor was lost on me... just never forget, BD in Doonesbury is based on former Patriots QB Brian Dowling ...

Bloom County, by a wide, wide margin.

And sure, Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes. Who didn't love them.

But let's dig a little deeper.

Andy Capp.

Hagar the Horrible

Tank McNamara

B.C.

Zippy the Pinhead

Back