What can the Patriots do to fix this defense?

Bruschi 3:16

Unable to function normally in society
Reaction score
Great win over Atlanta today, but Brady and Vinatieri can't bail these guys out forever. The secondary has big time problems and our LBs are shaky at best. Thoughts?

Brian Urlacher at the trading deadline.....and a stud cornerback/safety at the same......

Or, just more practice.........

Get Bruschi back in there....:D

Starks had a good game. I think getting Blue and Poole back will help...

BruschiOwnzU said:

I didn't want to write that, but I was thinking that

Sorry, what with this pup list thing, it keeps me wondering.....

get healthy.

The D line was/is shouldering the load. Warren and Wilfork are good, but there is a huge difference with Seymour in there. The D backfield is really banged up, and they need the bye week to get healthy, and to nail down the schemes.

There were a lot of people that said if we got to the bye week at 4-2/3-3 we would be doing well. Well, that is exactly were we stand right now. If we can get threw Denver without anymore injuries, we should be OK going into week 8.

SSDD

BruschiOwnzU said:

Starks had a good game. I think getting Blue and Poole back will help...

Starks was mediocre, IMO. A Vick-less Atlanta should have been more beatable. But our rush defense and the offensive penalties were downright atrocious.

- Get Seymour, Poole and Gay back in.

- Gus Scott has to step it up more. Now that Sanders is back on the field, maybe he'll be able to push Scott for playng time and make Scott better

- More practice, more film, more repetitions.

First off, Gay and Poole are hurt, and could be back next week. Gay is easily our best handed CB, and a very good coverage guy. Also, before you laugh at Poole, people got so down on Poole all because Moss owned him on a jump ball. Like thats never happened before. And into the fact our DL has been pretty shitty these past two games at applying pressure and thats that.

One thing though that really irks me is our LB core. The ILBs are awful. They tackle like idiots, they cover soft. We need a change somewhere at ILB.

I think once the secondary gets healthy (Poole and Gay), they will improve alot.

Getting guys in the secondary back would certainly help.

I don't know about anyone else but I was cussing and yelling "Season Over" at the TV when Gus Scott went down. I thought for sure he had broken his arm or at minimum dislocated his shoulder when he hit Crumpler going out of bounds.

He came back but I'd be interested to see what his status is for the Denver game. And we are lucky if he is half the player that RH is but that's how bad things have gotten in the secondary.

Lots of things can happen this week. But the defensive unit is still is playing like rookies. They need time to JELL.
They need time to understand each other.

Some of them just need to be CUT. (did I just say that)

Anyone seen phifer?

HomelessJoe said:
I think once the secondary gets healthy (Poole and Gay), they will improve alot.

Exactly, and once the DL starts dominating again. But what are we gonna do with our horrible ILBs...:shake:

If this doens't stop I'm going to start feeling like a Colts fan.

The Colts have the #1 defense, yielding 5.8 points a game. The Pats are giving up 27.2 a game.

The Colts are killing QBs, racking up 19 sacks. The Pats have 9.

The Colts have 8 interceptions. The Pats have 1.

The Colts have forced 7 fumbles. The Pats have forced 1.

Bruschi 3:16 said:
Great win over Atlanta today, but Brady and Vinatieri can't bail these guys out forever. The secondary has big time problems and our LBs are shaky at best. Thoughts?

I think we should give up. Before we have a debacle like the Miami game last year.

Give up and start with healthy players next season.:moss:

maine05 said:
The Colts have the #1 defense, yielding 5.8 points a game. The Pats are giving up 27.2 a game.

The Colts are killing QBs, racking up 19 sacks. The Pats have 9.

The Colts have 8 interceptions. The Pats have 1.

The Colts have forced 7 fumbles. The Pats have forced 1.

The Colts play the Rams next Monday night. If they shut down the Rams offense I will be impressed.

The Patriots gave up 28 points today.

The Colts have given up 29 for the season.

Back