what did mike 91 mean?

16-0patsfan

Reaction score
durning the game I could hear Brady keep saying mike 91 or mike a different number does that tell the offence that a different play is going to be called?:shrug:

If I'm not mistaken the Mike is usually the player the OL set there protection based off of, usually it's the MLB, but in sub packages it can change.

I think he's calling out the number of a defensive player that he expects is going to blitz, pointing it out to his o-line?

If I'm not mistaken the Mike is usually the player the OL set there protection based off of, usually it's the MLB, but in sub packages it can change.

That's how I understand it too. The number is the jersey number of the defensive player in question.

durning the game I could hear Brady keep saying mike 91 or mike a different number does that tell the offence that a different play is going to be called?:shrug:

That indicates that player #91 is the "mike" or will be treated as the middle linebacker. With all of the different personnel packages used on defense today, there is often no true middle linebacker. The linemen base their blocking schemes off of the mike.

On one play I remember Waters called back to Brady and asked "whose the mike"? and Dierdorf said that the Oline need to know who the mike is so they know how to set their protection.

On one play I remember the Waters called back to Brady and asked "whose the mike"? and Dierdorf said that the Oline need to know who the mike is so they know how to set their protection.

My wife thought that he said "Where's the mike?" and was wondering why he was worried where the mike was when they're playing football...lol:doh:

Brady, as do most Pats, hate fans named "Mike", and so Brady always pick out an opposing team player, refers to him as "Mike", thereby causing the hypnosis of Logan Mankins to kick in, making Logan want to kill the particular player that has been called "Mike".

So, basically if you hear Brady say "91 is the Mike!" he really means "Mankins - Kill number 91!".

It is all because of a guy who was known as "New England Mike".

Ah... tradition. Whatyagonnado, huh?

Hope this helps. :coffee:

Sam, Mike and Willie...

As I understand it, at least in a 3-4 defense, the middle linebacker's name is Mike, the strong side linebacker is Sam, while the weak side linebacker is Willie. Most pass defenses care more about Mike than the other two, so a lot of QBs are tasked to figuring out who Mike is.

Brady, as do most Pats, hate fans named "Mike", and so Brady always pick out an opposing team player, refers to him as "Mike", thereby causing the hypnosis of Logan Mankins to kick in, making Logan want to kill the particular player that has been called "Mike".

So, basically if you hear Brady say "91 is the Mike!" he really means "Mankins - Kill number 91!".

Decidedly false. :rolleyes:

He was referring to, reflecting on fondly and secretly passing along a message to me about me and him just hanging out and being bros back in '91.

:coffee:

I think he was yelling '51's the Mike' most of the time. Jamar Chaney is wearing #51 for the Eagles and he is their middle linebacker. Like others have already pointed out, the middle linebacker is often used to set the protection for the offensive line.

On one play I remember Waters called back to Brady and asked "whose the mike"? and Dierdorf said that the Oline need to know who the mike is so they know how to set their protection.

I heard him too. Waters seems to be a really smart player.

Sh#t. My name is Mike.

I guess I can have it legally changed.

I think he was yelling '51's the Mike' most of the time. Jamar Chaney is wearing #51 for the Eagles and he is their middle linebacker. Like others have already pointed out, the middle linebacker is often used to set the protection for the offensive line.

I heard him too. Waters seems to be a really smart player.

This is correct. 51 was the Mike the majority of the night and he is the guy that is designated that way so that the Oline can adjust the protection scheme for blitzes. Otherwise you'd see two guys picking up the same guy while others broke free all night long.

The way they are miking the QBs this year is interesting because you can hear things you couldn't prior. At one point Brady just pointed at a guy and said "he's the Mike" which I thought was strange. It must have been meant for the running backs because the linemen were already in their stances and they couldn't see who he was talking about.

There was only one "alpha" QB on the field last night and it was definitely Tom.

At one point Brady just pointed at a guy and said "he's the Mike" which I thought was strange. It must have been meant for the running backs because the linemen were already in their stances and they couldn't see who he was talking about.

In pass protection, the player designated as the "Mike" is the first player in a dual read responsibility. In some protections, an OLineman is the dual reader while in others an RB is assigned they were probably using a dual read RB protection.

This post makes baby Mikiemo cry

Back