Why the Prevent?

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
I'm just wondering why you guys think we went with the Prevent D for the end of the first half and the Entire 2nd half. Surely you must have noticed the Colts' outside recievers getting 5-10 yards of space on every play.

Why the prevent, you ask? Answer: The Patriots' safties are James Sanders, Artrell Hawkins and Rashad Baker.

Something happened to the entire defense. I'm not sure why they ran out of gas but they did and the fact that our offense was 3 and done for the third quarter just pushed them over their limit.

BTW, did anyone see Dillan the second half? I don't remember seeing him.

We weren't looking at a prevent there, but a very loose cover 2. The Pats blew their load on pass rushing in the first quarter when they played a bunch of man to man and that was paying off because the DLine was all over Manning. Once that pass rush was neutralized, the Pats had to lay back into the cover 2, which doesn't work out very well when you're safeties are practice team players for the most part. We couldn't crash the corners as much (as was the case with Asante's pick) because playing cover 2, you really really have to be confident that your 2 safeties are doing the right thing. I don't think that the Patriots secondary was any match for (can't believe I'm saying this) Peyton Manning in the 2nd half, once the pressure from our D-line died with their fatigue.

CleatMarks on 01-21-2007 at 08:41 PM said:
Something happened to the entire defense. I'm not sure why they ran out of gas but they did and the fact that our offense was 3 and done for the third quarter just pushed them over their limit.

BTW, did anyone see Dillan the second half? I don't remember seeing him.
I saw Dillon in the second half. Dillan never showed up.

Second half saw Hawkins, Seymour and Colvin miss time due to injury. Players were also spent from the massive possession difference and let's not forget the extra fatigue effects of a hot dome =\

pookie on 01-21-2007 at 10:41 PM said:
We weren't looking at a prevent there, but a very loose cover 2. The Pats blew their load on pass rushing in the first quarter when they played a bunch of man to man and that was paying off because the DLine was all over Manning. Once that pass rush was neutralized, the Pats had to lay back into the cover 2, which doesn't work out very well when you're safeties are practice team players for the most part. We couldn't crash the corners as much (as was the case with Asante's pick) because playing cover 2, you really really have to be confident that your 2 safeties are doing the right thing. I don't think that the Patriots secondary was any match for (can't believe I'm saying this) Peyton Manning in the 2nd half, once the pressure from our D-line died with their fatigue.

I agree 100%

NSPatsFan on 01-21-2007 at 11:13 PM said:
I'm just wondering why you guys think we went with the Prevent D for the end of the first half and the Entire 2nd half. Surely you must have noticed the Colts' outside recievers getting 5-10 yards of space on every play.
They were mostly blitzing in the second half, and not playing prevent. Since the blitzes weren't working, maybe they should have dropped everyone back into coverage.

The bottom line is that the defense was sucking wind in the second half.

Back