Wilfork wants out?

AFAIK, Wilfork's 2014 cap hit breaks down as:
$3.6M final pro-ration of the $18M signing bonus from 2010
$7.5M base salary
$500k (+/-) various "other" bonuses (workout, weight, etc.)

So, the $3.6M is already in his pocket.
The $500k or so would probably be about the same, regardless, though different terms/goals.

At issue, then, is the $7.5M base.

"Restructuring" usually means some sort of extension, though it doesn't necessarily have to, I guess. It could mean a conversion of a chunk of the base into some incentives and a simple reduction on the remainder.

But, still, by the sound of the reports I've read, the Pats only "approached" Wilfork about re-structuring. They don't say that the Pats had something on the table. But Wilfork, again according to reports, has refused to consider any re-structuring.

IDK. Unless the Pats did have something on the table that was an insultingly low number, this seems like an extreme reaction on Wilfork's part.

AFAIK, Wilfork's 2014 cap hit breaks down as:
$3.6M final pro-ration of the $18M signing bonus from 2010
$7.5M base salary
$500k (+/-) various "other" bonuses (workout, weight, etc.)

So, the $3.6M is already in his pocket.
The $500k or so would probably be about the same, regardless, though different terms/goals.

At issue, then, is the $7.5M base.

"Restructuring" usually means some sort of extension, though it doesn't necessarily have to, I guess. It could mean a conversion of a chunk of the base into some incentives and a simple reduction on the remainder.

But, still, by the sound of the reports I've read, the Pats only "approached" Wilfork about re-structuring. They don't say that the Pats had something on the table. But Wilfork, again according to reports, has refused to consider any re-structuring.

IDK. Unless the Pats did have something on the table that was an insultingly low number, this seems like an extreme reaction on Wilfork's part.

We agree. But...he's a proud guy and he's butt hurt. He wasn't released today so maybe he cools down maybe he doesn't.

Pats did nothing wrong here but Borges will be sure to make this his new hammer to pound the Pats with. Can't wait.

Wilfork being cut was always going to be a possibility, I had thought that Vince being the team-mate that he is, would be willing to re-work his contract so as to help the team sign some decent free agents. If he does go, then it makes DL a higher priority in this years draft.

Maybe this is premature... just because he asked out doesn't mean he will be......

Maybe this is premature... just because he asked out doesn't mean he will be......

Pats will lobby to keep him I expect. Maybe they'll give him permission to talk to other clubs to gauge his worth on the market. That could be eye opening and worthwhile for VW.

Raji hasn't sparked much talk.

Sad day but he was just not worth a 11 mill cap hit. At 33 coming off a bad Achilles injury . It does save the pasts 7.5 mill in cap space. Now they have the money to sign another Pass rusher.

It's worth noting the Patriots have not released VW yet.

Pats will lobby to keep him I expect. Maybe they'll give him permission to talk to other clubs to gauge his worth on the market. That could be eye opening and worthwhile for VW.

Raji hasn't sparked much talk.

I thought I heard Raji was re-upping today.

I heard the packers offered him one year for 4 mill before free agency, but looks like he turned that down... The Texans might want him though...
Posted via Mobile Device

He's doing you a favor really. Do you guys really want to extend him?
This.

Think aobut it: if WIlfork tore his knee with some other team last year and was a free agent, would we really cheer if the Pats gave a 32 year old DT with a ruptured achilles $11 mil?

Seriously? I don't think so. I thought they might extend him so I am happy that he ASKED to be released. Say, "Yes," and let him go if he wants. He did us a favor by asking.

This.

Think aobut it: if WIlfork tore his knee with some other team last year and was a free agent, would we really cheer if the Pats gave a 32 year old DT with a ruptured achilles $11 mil?

Seriously? I don't think so. I thought they might extend him so I am happy that he ASKED to be released. Say, "Yes," and let him go if he wants. He did us a favor by asking.

One step further. Would you cheer if they gave ANY DT $11 mil?

This.

The problem is the Pats aren't exactly deep on the defensive line right now.

Back