Windows 8

shirtsleeve

what's takin?
Reaction score
SUCKS!!!!!!!

I cant stand this POS!

Wow. Shyte jumping all over the screen. Text disappearing and moving on its own. This touch swipe crap!!!!!! And the new start screen?!?!? Are you kidding me?

Its a nightmare scenario. Its obviously designed for tablets and their new smart phone. But I have a laptop. I dont even own a smartphone. I dont own a tablet and I dont plan on owning either any time soon. To hell with that.

I need some geek help. Is there a user interface patch for windows 8 to make it more traditional and desk/laptop friendly? If not, how can I disable all that crap myself. I just want my xp UI back (just not its bugs). I functioned ok on Vista too. That UI would be ok.

This is just stoooopid.

Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Help!!!

Windows 8 has a traditional desktop mode built into it so it can serve dual purposes. Don't what to press to activate it cuz I don't have it but what you are looking for is there.

Windows 8 has a traditional desktop mode built into it so it can serve dual purposes. Don't what to press to activate it cuz I don't have but what you are looking for is there.

Where? How? You typing drunk or is your swipe tap jumping all over the place and wiping out half of what you type too?

Where? How? You typing drunk or is your swipe tap jumping all over the place and wiping out half of what you type too?

From what I understand it is somewhere on the page that loads at start up. You can go to the Microsoft website and find out how to activate it or wait for someone to come along who has the OS.

And nope not posting drunk tonight. :)

From what I understand it is somewhere on the page that loads at start up. You can go to the Microsoft website and find out how to activate it or wait for someone to come along who has the OS.

I will look at the start "apps" screen when I get home. There's like a zillion tiles there. I was just looking for the desktop tile and getting the hell outta there. If thats it, thats only half the hell.

The mousepad/pointer/keyboard are all hotwired to do all this swipe touch crap. Try typing on a message board on that thing. lol. I am down to one finger typing with no other part of my fingers or hands anywhere near the keyboard or mousepad. The thing will do stuff even if your fingertips are resting anywhere near the thing.

I will look at the start "apps" screen when I get home. There's like a zillion tiles there. I was just looking for the desktop tile and getting the hell outta there. If thats it, thats only half the hell.

The mousepad/pointer/keyboard are all hotwired to do all this swipe touch crap. Try typing on a message board on that thing. lol. I am down to one finger typing with no other part of my fingers or hands anywhere near the keyboard or mousepad. The thing will do stuff even if your fingertips are resting anywhere near the thing.

There's a menu that you can access on the right edge of the screen. I think you just swipe from the right edge toward the left and it will pop out. Don't know what's in there though.

I've seen videos of this stuff just haven't been hands on yet.

And I think they removed the start menu from the desktop but there's an app you can download that puts it back.

What sux is that about every new laptop getting sold this season that isn't from Apple is going to have this OS on it. I am going back and visiting the geek squad and have them put a more friendly UI on this thing.

Unless there's like a IT admin type here who can walk a dinosaur thru the process.

What sux is that about every new laptop getting sold this season that isn't from Apple is going to have this OS on it. I am going back and visiting the geek squad and have them put a more friendly UI on this thing.

Unless there's like a IT admin type here who can walk a dinosaur thru the process.

Check the link above. It explains in plain language how to work with the new OS.

Just found this at the Windows site. Check out the link it's got a bunch of how tos.

"On Start, tap or click Desktop.
If you're using a keyboard, press the Windows logo key +D."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/settings-search-shutdown-basics#1TC=t1

I've tried to adjust the mousepad and pointer settings to make the nonsense stop. I've found their "charms" and how to get them. I dont want their charms. My name aint Lucky, I aint a Leprechaun, and I dont wear bracelets.

I want my old start button back in the lower left side of the screen. I want my right click to search the drives. I want to hit the start button and open a menu that I can reach an icon driven control panel to adjust normal mouse and pointer and keypad settings. I dont wanna swipe anything. I dont want hot keys and pressure sensitive settings moving shit all over my screen and opening and closing shit without a command from me.

Not interested in a fruit. :)

What sux is that about every new laptop getting sold this season that isn't from Apple is going to have this OS on it.

Not so. Look here.

dell_xps_ubuntu-100015170-large.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qcUHBYAS_n0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope this helps.

BTW, you can still get PC's with Windows 7. You just have to specify that when you order it.

No no no. I figured that crap out in ten minutes. I need to kill all the swipe/pointer/key crap. Dead.

Make my mousepad as useless as xp and I am a happy camper.

I heard that there's a free shell that you can download that will make it look like Windows 7. I don't know what it is or what it's called though.

Point is...there's hope.

Microsoft really shit the bed with this one. As an organized person with borderline OCD the Windows 8 homescreen makes me want to vommit. It makes no sense. Maybe I'm not doing enough acid.

So the idea is a common UI for PCs, laptops, tablets and mobile. But Windows 8 Tablets are flopping and Windows 8 phones aren't gaining any traction. And that's even after blowing $1,000,000,000 on marketing Win 8. So MS sacrifices the PC and laptop UI in an effort to gain commonness to it's tablet and mobile UI... markets in which it can't seem to be a player. Smart.

Okay, I just bought our son a laptop with Windows 8 on it for Christmas. I'm not looking forward to helping him figure this out.

Back