Would the fine have been higher or lower for another team?

TrueBeliever

Hater hater
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone tonight. He's a diehard Packer fan, so we give each other guff, but never get mean about it.

But tonight he seemed a bit peeved because he thinks the NFL went easy on the Pats and Belichick because they're so successful; if it was a lesser team that no one cares about, like the Cardinals, it would have been much worse.

I said, "Um, no, I think the penalty was a lot higher because the Pats are a high-profile team these days, and it would have been a lot less on any other team." Not to mention I think if it were the Cardinals the league would have said it's hard to blame them for trying to get better by any means necessary.

Then the guy says that it would have been harder on a smaller-market team because it'd be harder for them to make up the loss of revenue. (And I'm thinking, "Dum bass, you're a Green Bay fan, you should know about the league's revenue sharing.")

Course, this guy is almost 32 and still living with his parents, so I guess I should cut him some slack. :shake:

If a recent expansion team gets caught doing the same thing, we probably won't even hear about it.

You think the Commish is gonna strip a top 10 pick in the draft from the Ner-de-wells? Hell No!

Plus, Gene Upshaw would be so far Up-Goods his highness' eyes would be :reche:

This was a perfect situation for Judge Mountain Landis to lay down the law since the Pats have 2 number 1's.

If it happens again, he'll backpedal.

While I don't think there's a sliding scale per se, I think clearly the Patriots success played into the severity of the penalty. If you think the Lions, Cards or Browns would have gotten the same penalty (let alone the same exposure) you're just not in touch with reality. On the other hand, while a lesser team would not have gotten the same penalty, other successful, high-profile teams like the Colts or the Steelers might have. There's just no way to know for sure because there was no clearly defined penalty for the infraction on the books.

As far as fans from other teams who say the penalty wasn't harsh enough and spell out what an "appropriate" penalty would have been (e.g, suspension from the league, forfeited games, etc.) I'd say, "OK, suppose it turns out your team did this as well, do you think your team should get the penalty you described or something in line with what the Patriots got?" Then watch them backpeddle like crazy and start babbling about established precedent and equal treatment. See, people are always in favor of the severest punishment possible--when it's the other guy.

By now, Goodall should know who leaked the tape.

I hear crickets, so there's your answer.

Bushy T Beaver on 09-18-2007 at 10:22 PM said:
While I don't think there's a sliding scale per se, I think clearly the Patriots success played into the severity of the penalty. If you think the Lions, Cards or Browns would have gotten the same penalty (let alone the same exposure) you're just not in touch with reality. On the other hand, while a lesser team would not have gotten the same penalty, other successful, high-profile teams like the Colts or the Steelers might have.

As far as fans from other teams who say the penalty wasn't harsh enough and spell out what an "appropriate" penalty would have been (e.g, suspension from the league, forfeited games, etc.) I'd say, "OK, it turns out your team did this as well, do you think your team should get the penalty you described or something in line with what the Patriots got?" Then watch them backpeddle like crazy and start babbling about established precedent and equal treatment. See, people are always in favor of the severest punishment possible--when it' the other guy.

Agreed.

Although, if I were a fan of the Chargers, I would have emailed the NFL promoting banishment of the Head Coach for life. >)

Apparently League by-laws set the highest fine at the half million BB was levied. I'd imagine they could have fined the team more, but when was the last time a team was fined a first round pick? (The answer is zero. The $250,000 is just chicken feed in comparison.)

I guarantee that if Arizona was caught doing the same thing, first of all it wouldn't have been close to as much of a media hype as it has been for the patriots, and second that Goodell wouldn't therefore feel the need to make such an example out of them. Like box said, taking a 1st round draft pick is a huge huge deal since it has never been done before so i doubt goodell would go to that lengths unless he felt he was making a statement about how strict the NFL administration is about rule breaking.

Ask your friend how he would feel if they lost a 1st round draft pick for recording signals that were perfectly legal to steel if they didn't use a camera.

CleatMarks on 09-18-2007 at 11:22 PM said:
Ask your friend how he would feel if they lost a 1st round draft pick for recording signals that were perfectly legal to steel if they didn't use a camera.

Truth be told, we were talking about getting together this weekend (he lives an hour away) but I swear to God, if he insists again that "the Pats cheated" I'll get back in my car and drive home.

The fine fit the crime.

500k to the coach. That IS the max allowed.

1st round pick. nuff said.

250k to Kraft. Commissioner believer him when he said he didn't know anything about it. The small fine was because you're still the owner.

would other teams have been fined the same. I'm inclined to believe so because the commish wanted to set an example.
any team works when it comes to examples.

The Patriots had the hammer brought down on them because they have been the model franchise since 2001.
If it were the Falcons, Cardinals or Lions it would be a story but NOTHING like it has been and they would NEVER have had a 1st round pick taken away.

Big problem for Goodell is if another team is caught he has already set a precedent and it will have to be the same EXACT penalty the Patriots got.

babalu87* on 09-20-2007 at 05:50 AM said:
If it were the Falcons, Cardinals or Lions it would be a story but NOTHING like it has been and they would NEVER have had a 1st round pick taken away.

Reminds me of when we played Atlanta in '05 and like two hours before kickoff Jim Mora announced Vick wouldn't start. We all know damn well if BB did something like that everybody would be screaming bloody murder.

TrueBeliever on 09-20-2007 at 09:15 AM said:
Reminds me of when we played Atlanta in '05 and like two hours before kickoff Jim Mora announced Vick wouldn't start.

THAT is the moment, along with the ensuing game when the Falcons organization should have realized that Schwab was THE guy.
Look at him in Houston :thumb:

babalu87* on 09-20-2007 at 09:19 AM said:
THAT is the moment, along with the ensuing game when the Falcons organization should have realized that Schwab was THE guy.
Look at him in Houston :thumb:

He really is making David Carr out to be the bust that everyone said he was..

On the main question, do I think the penalty may have been different if a lesser team got busted?

Yes, because obviously if they were "cheating" and still going 4-12, 5-11 etc.. then they cant even do that correctly.

But on the other hand we are in unchartered waters...

*mikiemo83 on 09-20-2007 at 09:58 AM said:
the Schwartz is playing without his Johnson this week, so let us watch and see how that goes against Indy

very true..my fantasy team cries :banghead: ...carr had johnson also and couldnt make him work though :thumb:

LVent on 09-20-2007 at 10:00 AM said:
very true..my fantasy team cries :banghead: ...carr had johnson also and couldnt make him work though :thumb:
yes but Super Mario and baby huey Oki are making a difference on defense

Yeah, hows everyone who BASHED the Texans for taking Mario feel now?
Sometimes a DE needs a year or so under his belt, nice to have that monster in the same division as Peyton ;)

babalu87* on 09-20-2007 at 10:05 AM said:
Yeah, hows everyone who BASHED the Texans for taking Mario feel now?
Sometimes a DE needs a year or so under his belt, nice to have that monster in the same division as Peyton ;)

I still stand by they could of used a runningback last year. who did they have last year? wali lundy? ron dayne? it certainly did not help carr's hit-o-meter

"Big problem for Goodell is if another team is caught he has already set a precedent and it will have to be the same EXACT penalty the Patriots got."

Exactly what I was thinking after the whole thing finally sunk in. What other team in the league could take the 'hit' of a first-rounder being gone and still come out looking good? Only the Pats, I'd guess...and possibly the Colts.

I'm still awaiting any word on the video tape and how it came into FOX's hands this past weekend. No doubt the Commish's office is working feverishly on it...(insert sarcasm)

Back