X Files new mini series

HarpoonIPA

ハープーンIPA &#1249
Reaction score
Very good so far, anyone else watching it?

I recorded it last night and plan on watching it tonight. One question. I thought the show kinda jumped the shark towards the end so I quit watching it. Do I really need to watch that first to catch up or does this series stand on it's own?

As long as you are familiar with the mythology of the show and the interaction between Mulder and Scully, that should suffice.

I streamed the first episode this morning because I forgot to set my DVR and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a nice return to form of the earlier seasons while attempting to address the things that happened over the missing years and they did a pretty good job, I think. Curious to see how they will wrap it all up in six episodes, though.

Never watched the original show. It is on my list to eye-guzzle some day.

I was a huge X-Files fan growing up. Obsessed.

Last night's episode, I would say I thought it was kind of poor, but enjoyed it anyway, if that makes sense. Mulder has gone through this "they've lied to me before!" stuff - but it was too abrupt an about change for him. I thought the episode felt very forced and rushed. And the conspiracy was convoluted. To be honest, the conspiracy stuff ended in such a convoluted place that I would've been OK with standalone episodes, but they had to justify re-opening the X-Files, so I get it.

Still, I love Anderson and Duchovny so much that I did enjoy it nonetheless. Gillian Anderson was definitely a teenage crush of mine, and finding out she's actually a really interesting person and continues to be a tremendous actor is pretty satisfying. I love interviews with her. She just speaks her mind and often speaks the truth. Duchovny, of course, is also amazing.

Last night's episode, I would say I thought it was kind of poor, but enjoyed it anyway, if that makes sense. Mulder has gone through this "they've lied to me before!" stuff - but it was too abrupt an about change for him. I thought the episode felt very forced and rushed. And the conspiracy was convoluted. To be honest, the conspiracy stuff ended in such a convoluted place that I would've been OK with standalone episodes, but they had to justify re-opening the X-Files, so I get it.

Still, I love Anderson and Duchovny so much that I did enjoy it nonetheless. Gillian Anderson was definitely a teenage crush of mine, and finding out she's actually a really interesting person and continues to be a tremendous actor is pretty satisfying. I love interviews with her. She just speaks her mind and often speaks the truth. Duchovny, of course, is also amazing.

You have to keep in mind that they only have six episodes to tell this story in, so there was no time for the gradual reveal that they likely would have gone with had this been a full blown 20+ episode season. It is what it is, and I don't have much of a problem with it. It's pretty cool to see how Duchovny and Anderson have taken their years away from the show to add to their characters...they are the same, but different. Just like real people are in the real world after that length of time not interacting a whole lot.

I would love Netflix to continue the series after this

You have to keep in mind that they only have six episodes to tell this story in, so there was no time for the gradual reveal that they likely would have gone with had this been a full blown 20+ episode season. It is what it is, and I don't have much of a problem with it. It's pretty cool to see how Duchovny and Anderson have taken their years away from the show to add to their characters...they are the same, but different. Just like real people are in the real world after that length of time not interacting a whole lot.

I understand where the need arises - I think where Carter erred is not starting with the story already further along in progress.

I also think its too bad that they led with an exposition filled episode. They had 13 million viewers last night, I'll be intrigued to see what they get tonight without the benefit of the NFCCG, and with what I would call a lackluster showing last night.

I would love Netflix to continue the series after this

If it kept going, it would be on Fox...but Duchovny and Anderson have both all but explicitly stated that this would be the last time they'd be interested in continuing the series. I'm actually rather shocked that either one of them agreed to do it in the first place...but I guess that's what being away from something for over a decade will do to an actor sometimes.

If it kept going, it would be on Fox...but Duchovny and Anderson have both all but explicitly stated that this would be the last time they'd be interested in continuing the series. I'm actually rather shocked that either one of them agreed to do it in the first place...but I guess that's what being away from something for over a decade will do to an actor sometimes.

Too bad

It looks like Vince Gilligan, who was the exec. producer and frequent writer for Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and the original X-Files, isn't involved in it now, which might explain if it isn't as good.

It looks like Vince Gilligan, who was the exec. producer and frequent writer for Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and the original X-Files, isn't involved in it now, which might explain if it isn't as good.

It's way better than the last three seasons without Mulder, I can tell you that. I'd like to think that whole period never happened.

I loved the original series practically obsessed with it.

regardless of how the mini series turns out i'm happy to relive the nostalgia.

I recently re-watched the entire series on Netflix and had lot of LOLs seeing their big ass cell phones and beepers. And of course everyone had shoulder pads in their suits.

I was ok with how the original series ended. They couldn't squeeze anymore blood from the conspiracy stone if they wanted to. I'm just happy it's back even if just for a few episodes.

If you have Netflix you may want to start watching soon because it's leaving in April I think. Hulu will be streaming seasons 1-9 though. There is a lot to watch. They had 20+ episode seasons back then.

I still want to believe.... Trust no one.

Good point. He's responsible for what I would say is one of the 3 best standalones in the series, which is Bad Blood.

I thought last night's was much, much better. That was written by Wong, who is also responsible for a tremendous number of classic episodes, including my all-time favorite, Beyond the Sea. Next week's is written by one of the Morgan brothers, both are good writers.

I hate to say it - but I think Carter is the weak link now in the writing room. I don't think he's stayed active like the other guys. Unfortunately he's responsible for penning 50% of these episodes now. I hope I'm wrong.

Back