Yoga

I can't find a free link to it, but an episode of Penn &Teller's Bullsh*t addressed yoga and various other "new age" shite.

If you have genuine spinal issues, doing any kind of twisting or contorting could cause serious injury and problems.

Generally speaking Yoga is more of a mental/meditation process than a physical one. Yes, there are physical aspects of Yoga, but in that regard it is not any different than the normal stretching any athlete would perform prior to competing or working out.

I would take it as an axiom, that the vast majority of Yoga instructors have little or no knowledge of actual physical ailments and how any given Yoga pose may be beneficial or dangerous for any one of those ailments.

So the fundamental question is what is the cause of your back issue.

If it is simply muscle related, then there are a host of stretching and isometric exercises you can do to address that. Any capable physical therapist can walk you through that in a few sessions and then you could do it on your own.

If you have health insurance, you likely can get a few sessions paid for, if you can get a script from a doctor that you need it.

If it's not muscle related, but structural, then trying to do flexibility exercises is potentially very risky.

If you don't know what is the cause, then I would strongly recommend you go through the goat f*ck that is such a diagnosis process to make sure you know what's wrong and so can devise an appropriate treatment option.

Oh and for the record, I am intimately familiar with just how painful that goat f*ck can be.

I have a neurological condition that took 6+ years to properly diagnose.

It's a degeneration of L5 with a slight compression of the disc. Can't be fixed. At my age, I'm going to have to live with it. Best I can do is pay attention to my posture and when running/working out make sure I use good form.

6 years seems like an awfully long time. These past few weeks have been terrible - can't imagine 6 years of this.

I'll just get some of RayRay's deer antler spray. I think they sell it at the stadium.
I recommend getting one of the B12 shots that Roger Clemens got. Those things work wonders.

I can't find a free link to it, but an episode of Penn &Teller's Bullsh*t addressed yoga and various other "new age" shite.

If you have genuine spinal issues, doing any kind of twisting or contorting could cause serious injury and problems.

Generally speaking Yoga is more of a mental/meditation process than a physical one. Yes, there are physical aspects of Yoga, but in that regard it is not any different than the normal stretching any athlete would perform prior to competing or working out.

I would take it as an axiom, that the vast majority of Yoga instructors have little or no knowledge of actual physical ailments and how any given Yoga pose may be beneficial or dangerous for any one of those ailments.

So the fundamental question is what is the cause of your back issue.

If it is simply muscle related, then there are a host of stretching and isometric exercises you can do to address that. Any capable physical therapist can walk you through that in a few sessions and then you could do it on your own.

If you have health insurance, you likely can get a few sessions paid for, if you can get a script from a doctor that you need it.

If it's not muscle related, but structural, then trying to do flexibility exercises is potentially very risky.

If you don't know what is the cause, then I would strongly recommend you go through the goat f*ck that is such a diagnosis process to make sure you know what's wrong and so can devise an appropriate treatment option.

Oh and for the record, I am intimately familiar with just how painful that goat f*ck can be.

I have a neurological condition that took 6+ years to properly diagnose.
FWIW, there are many styles of yoga, and depending on who you talk to, it's somewhere between 6 and 20 different styles.

:shrug_n:

Here's one such article listing there opinion on the various styles.

https://www.doyogawithme.com/types-of-yoga

Pretty much all of the PT's that I know fully recommend yoga...

Physical Therapist or Personal Trainer? Most of the latter are ****ing morons so I wouldn't put much stock into that.

I agree that Yoga is as much about meditation and breathing as anything else. It does bother me sometimes when women (mostly) claim they are working on losing weight and point to yoga as their method. Yoga isn't very well equipped for that, especially compared to alternatives. It's also not great for developing strength compared to alternatives (although it will build some).

It does help improve posture and flexibility, and can help with mind-muscle connection.

Nothing wrong with yoga really. It's my girlfriend's preferred fitness hobby and I've been considering joining her once or twice a week on my rest days since I often slack on stretching. People just need to understand what yoga can do for them so their expectations are in line with reality. Even more so considering that different types of yoga will have different benefits.

If your back is screwed up, I would consult a doctor about yoga before attempting it. There may be certain positions or forces or bends/angles/motions that he/she will recommend you avoid. If it's a case of needing to strengthen your back, there are also better options. If it's a posture issue then yoga will be good, assuming your doctor believes it safe.

Physical Therapist or Personal Trainer? Most of the latter are ****ing morons so I wouldn't put much stock into that.

I agree that Yoga is as much about meditation and breathing as anything else. It does bother me sometimes when women (mostly) claim they are working on losing weight and point to yoga as their method. Yoga isn't very well equipped for that, especially compared to alternatives. It's also not great for developing strength compared to alternatives (although it will build some).

It does help improve posture and flexibility, and can help with mind-muscle connection.

Nothing wrong with yoga really. It's my girlfriend's preferred fitness hobby and I've been considering joining her once or twice a week on my rest days since I often slack on stretching. People just need to understand what yoga can do for them so their expectations are in line with reality. Even more so considering that different types of yoga will have different benefits.

If your back is screwed up, I would consult a doctor about yoga before attempting it. There may be certain positions or forces or bends/angles/motions that he/she will recommend you avoid. If it's a case of needing to strengthen your back, there are also better options. If it's a posture issue then yoga will be good, assuming your doctor believes it safe.

PT = physical therapist.

PT = physical therapist.

OK, just checking. I see a lot of people use PT to refer to Personal Trainers these days.

I think yoga is pretty much universally recommended. There aren't many downsides, but it's just trendy as **** and sometimes its benefits don't align with its participants' goals (much like Crossfit).

OK, just checking. I see a lot of people use PT to refer to Personal Trainers these days.

I think yoga is pretty much universally recommended. There aren't many downsides, but it's just trendy as **** and sometimes its benefits don't align with its participants' goals (much like Crossfit).

Yeah, I don't get all of the hype either...but, it does help for the most part.

I recommend getting one of the B12 shots that Roger Clemens got. Those things work wonders.

B12 is good, but personally, I don't want one of the ones that Rodger got. :coffee:

Cheers

I was way into it just recently before my shoulder shit the bed on me. Going to start doing some light rehab stuff next week and figure out what I can and can't do. I'm at about 75% ROM right now, hopefully I can loosen up and ease all the way back in.

I need to figure out a way to work it in to my normal work out routine. Right now I'm lifting two days a week and boxing another 2/3 days.

Maybe use it as a warm up, cool down activity.

I need to figure out a way to work it in to my normal work out routine. Right now I'm lifting two days a week and boxing another 2/3 days.

Maybe use it as a warm up, cool down activity.

Just wear the pants around the house.

#makesureblindsaredown

#yurinIndy-cantseeanyways

Back